can any one tell me what this means? i fount it on my QL earlier.

Billruston

Bill,

There are similar numbers painted inside the bonnets of some Austin Champs and nobody really knows what they mean! The best guess is 'War Reserve' which means your QL either saw no Army service at all or spent some time in storage.

It's really good you've revealed and recorded what you've found!

• Like 1

Hi Bill, if you look in one of the bedford books and find a picture of a QL that just came out of the factory there is a number on the cabin that resembles very match the number in your cabin.

If you find a picture of a fresh build QL you can see the number on the passenger side just after the door, I don't know if it is the same type off numbering but it resembles very match your number.

I don't know what the number means, but maybe Richard have some idea!

Guy

Edited by guy66

Would "Workshop" followed by a two letter code to identify the particular workshop make sense?

Andy

Andy it would seem reasonable but consider these below (two of which I have already posted) This first one is another one I found on a Humber 1 Ton.

Dscf5995_zps8b5181a8.jpg

Notice that "9" is the incorrect font compared with the rest. Ok so maybe all the proper "9" stencils were missing in that workshop.

Here that set is again with the wrong "9", but the prefix is different.

Dscf1274a_zps9352897c.jpg

To me it suggests that both vehicles were stencilled at the same place, so the prefix means something else. It might be said that with these sets "9" always appears that way. But here is another Humber with "9" in the correct font.

Dscf4006a_zps3a904100.jpg

I see your point, Clive. Is there always an "L" on the end and what does that mean, I wonder?

Andy

Andy yours was a reasonable idea. Always seems to be "L" at the end & "W" at the start. I have a lot of RAOC publications MAOS & RAOS but there is nothing covered in those.

I don't think I have seen such markings on a Pig, just GS. So suggests this a 1950s thing as it pre-dates Pig? If it was 1960s it should also be on Pigs because they were still classed as B vehicles.

• 3 years later...
On my MorrisCommercial FAT its on the inside of the bonnet lid WSN/867598/VM

Still trying to post a picture from my phone

Sorry to revive an old thread - but inside the bonnet of my Morris C8 FAT: WSR/838608/VM

I wonder if the perceived wisdom of the last few years has yielded any further knowledge...?

• 5 years later...

I would like to put forward a idea first l do not think the W stands for war but workshop secondly the second third letters are  to do with the type of repair ie base overhaul  schedule repair the majority of these were carried out by the ARMY AUXILLIARY WORKSHOPS. These markings only seem to appear on vehicles in service after 1945 and stop by 1960 a time when the use of AAWs had stopped the numbers are for reference  as l said this is only a idea that l have been looking at while looking in to AAWs