1960 pattern dpm smock size 9

boots dms

A very large quantity of 60 pattern DPM smocks and trousers were made by James Smith & Cookson & Clegg Ltd between 1970 and 71 under at least 4 separate contracts.......and judging by the number surviving today, they are not all that rare..........but they hold the distinction of being the very 1st issue pattern DPM combat garments........I unearthed a new Size 8 today that I didn't even know I had........012.jpg

A very large quantity of 60 pattern DPM smocks and trousers were made by James Smith & Cookson & Clegg Ltd between 1970 and 71 under at least 4 separate contracts.......and judging by the number surviving today, they are not all that rare..........but they hold the distinction of being the very 1st issue pattern DPM combat garments........I unearthed a new Size 8 today that I didn't even know I had........[ATTACH=CONFIG]72693[/ATTACH]

Funnily enough,I sold a size 8 about four years ago on e bay and got about £90.00.If I remember rightly I paid about £30.00 for it.But my biggest regret was selling two size 5 around the same time , in retrospect I would still have them now regardless of value.

I've a fair few DPM 60 pattern smocks and trousers........but the cut is not as good as the later 68 pattern that set-out to address a number of issues with the earlier suit............but prices are prices and they seem to fetch a premium nowadays.........

They do not fetch the same prices as the olive 60 patts by and large - iirc one sold for £160 late last year. This is versus a size 9 olive smock selling for £350+ on eBay some months ago!:shocked:

Ha, thats good to know I have two size 5 olive 60 patt smocks and a pair of size 2 trousers,all the later pattern ie oval arm patches etc.I am very fond of these,one smock is virtually new £15.00 at Beltring,the other and the trousers ,are slightly faded,but can,t complain for £3.50 at a local summer boot fare about three years ago.Shan,t be parting with these.As an aside I can remember back in the seventies the 60 pattern olive smocks were ten a penny , I had one I wore to destruction on my motorcycle.

Ha, thats good to know I have two size 5 olive 60 patt smocks and a pair of size 2 trousers,all the later pattern ie oval arm patches etc.I am very fond of these,one smock is virtually new £15.00 at Beltring,the other and the trousers ,are slightly faded,but can,t complain for £3.50 at a local summer boot fare about three years ago.Shan,t be parting with these.As an aside I can remember back in the seventies the 60 pattern olive smocks were ten a penny , I had one I wore to destruction on my motorcycle.

Jason has a point, the DPM 60 patterns aren't quite at the premium that decent, and large-size green versions go for...........

Bargains are still to be had.......at the same show only a couple of years ago now I got a new, very early size 3 DPM "SAS" windproof smock for a fiver..............and at the same time my new green '63 patt SAS windproof trousers very cheap......

Around 1980-82 there were loads of new green 60 pattern smocks in surplus shops, most were size 7s and 9s, and a mixture of pre and post 64 patterns (sleeve design).......they were around £10 - 12 each if I recall correctly.....cheap now, but equivalent to a good night out back then or a tank of petrol !!!!! :-D A surplus wholesaler had obtained a huge amount from whom various stores obtained their stock...........I worked in one such shop part-time on a Saturday and can recall opening bales of the bloody things...............there were also bales of new WW2 battledress blouses in sizes 13, 15 and 16......a mixture of 37 and 40 patterns......a fiver each !!!!! Plus serge "WW1 style" SD jackets at the same price......50 to the bale..........those WERE the days !!!!!!

Edited by wdbikemad

• 2 years later...

Hello fellas,

I'm new here. The name's Frank. I'm not really a knowledgeable about this site and forum so excuse my mistakes ;-)

I'm interested in obtaining a 1960 pattern DPM smock in size 7 or bigger. Can anyone help or advise me? Ta

A very large quantity of 60 pattern DPM smocks and trousers were made by James Smith & Cookson & Clegg Ltd between 1970 and 71 under at least 4 separate contracts.......and judging by the number surviving today, they are not all that rare..........but they hold the distinction of being the very 1st issue pattern DPM combat garments........I unearthed a new Size 8 today that I didn't even know I had........[ATTACH=CONFIG]72693[/ATTACH]

Hi Frank,and welcome to the forum.Its some time since I posted this thread,and I must admit my collecting has fizzled out of late.I still have a size 4 dpm 60 pattern smock,(which I am holding on to),and much to my regret sold a couple of size 5 ones many moons ago.These smocks used to appear on e bay now and again,but seem to be getting rarer now.I obtained my size 4 on ebay for 20 pounds about 3 years ago,its well used but still in good nick,however it was,nt well listed by the seller otherwise I think it may have gone for a lot more,luckily for me! E bay seems the best bet,or military shows and believe it or not even boot fairs,I got a good 60 pattern olive green size 5 from a local boot fair for £3.50.Its very much a waiting game,but they do turn up,often when you least expect!.It all depends on what you are prepared to pay as they generally go for high prices, unless as I say you get lucky.So good luck.

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated :)

Hi Frank,and welcome to the forum.Its some time since I posted this thread,and I must admit my collecting has fizzled out of late.I still have a size 4 dpm 60 pattern smock,(which I am holding on to),and much to my regret sold a couple of size 5 ones many moons ago.These smocks used to appear on e bay now and again,but seem to be getting rarer now.I obtained my size 4 on ebay for 20 pounds about 3 years ago,its well used but still in good nick,however it was,nt well listed by the seller otherwise I think it may have gone for a lot more,luckily for me! E bay seems the best bet,or military shows and believe it or not even boot fairs,I got a good 60 pattern olive green size 5 from a local boot fair for £3.50.Its very much a waiting game,but they do turn up,often when you least expect!.It all depends on what you are prepared to pay as they generally go for high prices, unless as I say you get lucky.So good luck.

You dont see much at DPM 60 Patt on Ebay but these last couple of weeks there have been a few smocks and trs but alas in the smaller sizes.

Ebay is a bit weird in that you could easily go say 6 months without seeing a single item of 60 Patt DPM then all of a sudden they all start appearing out of the woodwork at the same time.

Based on these high prices, I am surprised some enterprising purveyor has not gone to China and had a container's worth of gear drummed up as replicas. How would you know the year and genuine thing?

I only ask b/c I would like to buy some English military garb to look the part when I drive my Saracen and Fox (when they get here to USA). I have absolutely no idea what would be authentic for the period, but it seems crazy to pay $100+ for a shirt, since the entire outfit would run hundreds of dollars. And only one person in 10,000 would know what you are wearing is or isn't "right".

I only ask b/c I would like to buy some English military garb to look the part when I drive my Saracen and Fox (when they get here to USA). I have absolutely no idea what would be authentic for the period, but it seems crazy to pay $100+ for a shirt, since the entire outfit would run hundreds of dollars. And only one person in 10,000 would know what you are wearing is or isn't "right".

Depends when you want the gear.....I will be moving to Ohio Summer 2017 and can kit you out in either 60 or 68 patt assuming you aren't built like the Hulk....and not for $100 a shirt! If you are happy with 68 pattern then I can probably do it a lot sooner....again depending on size.

And as for the second point you make....it is not about the fact that 300million+ Americans will not be able to recognise authentic or not.....it is that you will know it is not "right"....not acceptable in my book especially when you have gone to the expense of shipping in classic British vehicles.. :-D