Identifying US-vehicles

amundsen

Hello,

I confess that I am no real fan of military stuff. I am a German photographer and had the chance to visit a remote place in Greenland, where I found the left gear of an US-base. As the whole place with the old rusty vehicles inmidst a remote and phantastic scenery was so surrealistic, I was able to get some interesting images. Now I intend to make a photographic book with these images. Therefore I need the help of the competent members of this forum. I think, just a nice picture is not enough, an explanation with facts to the photographed vehicles is absolute necessary. The images show the vehicles of which I need information, perhaps some images may show the same vehicle. Maybe you can appreciate my images, I would appreciate every information, so trademark, horsepower, construction period, specialities and so on 09.jpg

With kind regards,

Sven Amundsen

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

Hello,

I confess that I am no real fan of military stuff. I am a German photographer and had the chance to visit a remote place in Greenland, where I found the left gear of an US-base. As the whole place with the old rusty vehicles inmidst a remote and phantastic scenery was so surrealistic, I was able to get some interesting images. Now I intend to make a photographic book with these images. Therefore I need the help of the competent members of this forum. I think, just a nice picture is not enough, an explanation with facts to the photographed vehicles is absolute necessary. The images show the vehicles of which I need information, perhaps some images may show the same vehicle. Maybe you can appreciate my images, I would appreciate every information, so trademark, horsepower, construction period, specialities and so on [ATTACH=CONFIG]72295[/ATTACH] Dodge pickup, 41-47 pattern

[ATTACH=CONFIG]72296[/ATTACH] No idea, but nice ....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]72297[/ATTACH] Ford 1.5 ton, 1942 pattern

[ATTACH=CONFIG]72298[/ATTACH]Same Ford, from the back maybe ?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]72299[/ATTACH] Could be 1.5 ton Dodge WF, 1941-47

[ATTACH=CONFIG]72300[/ATTACH]Dont know, but want one

[ATTACH=CONFIG]72301[/ATTACH] Still don't know

[ATTACH=CONFIG]72302[/ATTACH] Ford 1.5 ton, 1942 pattern, started as a SnoGo blower truck

[ATTACH=CONFIG]72303[/ATTACH] Dodge pickup, 41-47 pattern

With kind regards,

Sven Amundsen

I think the really heavy chain drive units might b be rarer Mack variants but don't have source material to hand

• 3 years later...

Hello Sven, These are great photos! Thanks for posting them. I hope that I am not too late.

I agree that the 2nd, 6th, 7th photos are US built Sterling chain driven dump trucks. These look like HC145 models such as were built from 1939-1946. These are civilian type trucks likely built during the 2nd WW on a war priority basis. It is possible that they were sold to the US military, but it is also possible that they were owned by a contractor who built the air strip at this base. One company, the George A. Fuller & Merritt, Chapman and Scott Corp. had at least 28 of these model Sterling trucks (as mentioned in a Waukesha engine ad from 1941) some of which went to Rhode Island in the US and others of which went to Newfoundland for building US Navy military bases. Trucks from this group resemble closely the trucks in your photographs. I have been following Sterling trucks for more than 40 years and am reasonably sure that I have identified the model correctly. All of the key identifying features are correct and have the correct proportions.

If you or anyone does go back to this place the following information applies: The rear hub caps should say “Sterling” on them (embossed in). The left front frame rail (driver’s side) forward of the front spring hanger will have the model and serial number stamped in. This would be in characters about a half inch high and will appear something like: 145HC6123. Below that would be an “A” number in similar sized characters which would say something like: A1234 (likely 4 numbers after the A). There would originally have been a plate in the cab about 4” x 9” with six screws behind the passenger’s head (approximate position). This plate would carry the serial number as well and may well be corroded and difficult to read. They were either of steel or aluminum. If the plate is removed, the stamped markings are sometime legible from the back. Sometimes there was a small brass plate on the right side of the dash board (instrument panel) which carried a military contract number or piece number. These numbers relate back to Sterling chassis build records about 1,900 of which are known to exist of several thousand Sterlings built from 1915-1953. These records usually provide the original owner. The numbers also give clues as to what year the trucks were built.

The US government purchased many Sterling trucks (on the order of 500) for WWII including the Army Ordnance Dept., the USN and I think the USAF. These generally were not HC145 models and many were custom built to Military specifications (models DDS150, DDS225, DDS235, HCS330 for example). The trucks in your photos appear to be standard civilian types of the WWII period.

Sterling built about 500 HC145 trucks from 1939-1946. US truck builders did not stop civilian production during WWII like the car builders but the customer had to have a war priority to get a truck built. Each truck manufacturing company was allotted a quantity that they were allowed to build for war priority customers.

Probably like Sven not sure of "old" vehicles as shown in his great pictures and looking for advice if I go out and see some thing of interest, and I cant find ID plates or chassis numbers what should I look for in trying to help some one with the knowledge identify the vehicle, yes I know this question may be the equivalent of how long is a piece of string but any suggestions would help.