Overlord 2013

R Cubed

I would like to see more evening fun. Not just a pub and band, good as they were...maybe a dance hall...so people with partners can enjoy the evenings...

We were a touch constrained in the finance department this year. Speaking to some of the re-enactors who go to 40's type shows - they aren't the best dancers :) so get excluded from the dancefloor when the fanatical 40's dancers are there. Looking at a jive tutor or 40's dancing lessons for one evening with a 40s disco ...

I think the driver area needs a big hill in the middle, a do it if you dare type of hill..not too high that if the truck fails it is in danger but steep enough to make the trucks/cars think a bit....it would be the weekend fun and it would be good to see vehicles attempt the hill....it would make the show ground more interesting. just dig a deeper trench, mount all the soil on the exit and bobs your uncle you have a great hole and hill to drive up...

Great hole to fall in too! We have to reinstate the field after use as it is the site of car boot sales for the rest of the year. I need a word with our ag. contractors, Matt the Digger and our arena manager to see what we can do.

I like the dog shows and things.

Dog shows go down well with many of the public. Never seen it or the jeep race - only in photos. Wow, I must be working at the show not just wandering around looking pretty :) Some ideas being generated about further attractions

What about a tug of war between two vehicles, only for fun, no breaking things...lets see what can pull what...or maybe a heavy load tug....it would be good to see some more pyro work, maybe a striker firing dummy missiles a few feet...or similar

Nothing there without the bounds of possibility - need to find two vehicle owners willing to use their prides and joy as tug-o'-war machines. We had an impromptu wrecker demo one year when a Bedford failed, maybe a more formal demo of heavy recovery? More pyro's leads to more annoyed neighbours and also more expense though if anyone wants to donate a gas powered Browning for my Ferret ...

With a clearer arena (no bl**dy grat hills or holes :) ) A ferret firing smoke grenades, firing through the smoke then accelerating backwards through the gears could look good ...

still a great show...could do with a few more big or unusual vehicles though...

Who do I know with a large collection of post war trucks and unusual vehicles? Names on the tip of my tongue ...

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I teach ballroom and latin, and know a lot of swing teachers, we could easily organize something...

tug of war NO a tug of a big weight, that would mean that the truck would not have to fight another truck, it would stay sane and people would only have themselves to blame if they pulled too hard...say four dead trucks in the arena and one truck pulling them all out...just a thought

I think that a well done all round is in order for the chaps and chapesses, we do follow stuff from here being halfway down the left side of France. It's very pleasing to see what you have built up to, long may it continue.

HMVF has also reminded me that I seem to be a year older today, Hmmmmmmm.

Congrats to all and best wishes,

R.

Heavy haulage can be impressive, fun and safe if done correctly. You just need some trucks with front and rear tow hitches, a few solid tow bars and someone silly enough to try and tow it all. That would usually be a Scammell owner! Can be done in the arena.

Well I have to say that it was a great show all round. I went as a trader and the 'staff' couldn't do enough for me or for any of the other traders and that's always a good sign.

As I got to the show - I was greated by Chrisg - coming out of the loos. Chris isn't an oil painting at the best of times but seeing him in his PJ's, unshaven and stumbling out of the gents really isn't a good sight.

It got worse.

I went over to Chris's pitch to have a nice cup of coffee (fat chance) caught up with Tony and Pete - High Plains Drifters - then the shocking sight of seeing Rambo in a thong...........SERIOUSLY I am not sure what it is with those Post War guys :angel:

What really strikes you about this show is that is has such a nice ambience and a really nice laid back feel. Vehicles moved around with common sense and it showed. I tend to talk to everyone, traders, vehicles owners and reenactors and not one had a bad word to say about it. They all have that sort of 'we support this show' attitude.

Another thing that caught my attention was the fact that food van wasn't stupid prices and that makes all the difference to families that come in for a day out. I like cofffee and good coffee at a £1 cup was a winner for me :)

For me it was a great start to my show season and the first one I have been to in four years with the tents.

AND I didn't see Rosy drunk at all!! FACT.

Not only is this show a good show for the hobbiests amongst us but more importantly it is a great show to introduce the public to both our hobby and our history.

Great work all round by the team and see you next year.

JB!

Well I have to say that it was a great show all round. I went as a trader and the 'staff' couldn't do enough for me or for any of the other traders and that's always a good sign.

As I got to the show - I was greated by Chrisg - coming out of the loos. Chris isn't an oil painting at the best of times but seeing him in his PJ's, unshaven and stumbling out of the gents really isn't a good sight.

It got worse.

I went over to Chris's pitch to have a nice cup of coffee (fat chance) caught up with Tony and Pete - High Plains Drifters - then the shocking sight of seeing Rambo in a thong...........SERIOUSLY I am not sure what it is with those Post War guys :angel:

What really strikes you about this show is that is has such a nice ambience and a really nice laid back feel. Vehicles moved around with common sense and it showed. I tend to talk to everyone, traders, vehicles owners and reenactors and not one had a bad word to say about it. They all have that sort of 'we support this show' attitude.

Another thing that caught my attention was the fact that food van wasn't stupid prices and that makes all the difference to families that come in for a day out. I like cofffee and good coffee at a £1 cup was a winner for me :)

For me it was a great start to my show season and the first one I have been to in four years with the tents.

AND I didn't see Rosy drunk at all!! FACT.

Not only is this show a good show for the hobbiests amongst us but more importantly it is a great show to introduce the public to both our hobby and our history.

Great work all round by the team and see you next year.

JB!

Thanks for that Jack. We do pride ourselves on being a chilled and relaxed show, with something for everyone.

Yup I saw ChrisG in his jimjams to!!!! I also saw Rambo in his jimjams to (although luckily not a thong!!)

I had enough wine to keep the whole sight happy, in fact as I was ambling along, when a young lad thrust a bottle at me. (Thanks go to Chef Ives!) I was we'll behaved tho :)

The show was one of our best ever and we're glad that you chose our show to get yourself back on the scene again xxxxxxxxxx

• 2 weeks later...

Some nice pics there.

Whilst I didn't get to go, I feel I must let you know the feedback I've had.

I've had a number of traders book in to my show & when chatting with them & discussing other events as you do, the name that has been mentioned, more than any other show has been Overlord, with some very favourable comments, as to how good it was, so if you are able to keep your traders happy then you know you've got a good show, well done.

Paul

Just think yourself lucky to have such a welcome when you arrived. Could have been a lot lot worse

:nut:

JB!

• 4 months later...

The show info isn't normally released until the club has decided on the charity for the following year that will receive the surplus from the show.

But OVERLORD is always the late May Bank Holiday - even if, as in 2012, that holiday is in June.

So virtually always the last weekend in May.