1911 Lacre 5 Ton Truck

Chaindrive

A couple of months ago I was lucky enough to find another old chassis (the first being my Fiat 18BLR). The make was easy to identify with its brass wheel grease caps 'Lacre Motor Car Co of London and Letchworth'

image-2.jpg

This is how the Lacre looked after getting it home. It had been converted into a hay trailer in the 1940's and had spent much of its 100 years out in the sun and rain.

dedb186899a738ff758a54f901c4ef16.jpg

Edited by Chaindrive

Here's a picture of a Lacre as a timber jinker in Australia taken in 1919. The Belgian Army used these trucks in WW1 taking all production from the Lacre factory for two years following the outbreak of war. This might be an actual picture of the chassis that I have as it was in 1919. I am currently trying to get a clearer picture from the Queensland library(who have this picture) to check out some similarities with the chassis I have.

1910Lacre-1-1_zps2ee274e5-1_zpsbd00a8ef.jpg

It always intrigues me how these old chassis keep turning up... Always dreaming that I might find something similar in my travels.

Keep us updated with any progress won't you?....with pictures of course;).

it has been written before ....the chassis is always the last part of a truck remaining.... They are still out there but every year that goes by they get more scarce. I was fortunate to find this one-it could have been snapped up by another restorer years ago. It has been in a field near a busy road as long as I can remember and I never paid it any attention. That was until I discovered the other chassis I have - the Fiat 18BLR with its large cast steel back wheels which got me hooked on old trucks. It was only after finding the Fiat that I noticed the hay trailer with the large steel wheels sitting unloved in the field. It had been sitting there for about 20 years or so and I had driven past it about once a week in that time. Now I am always looking in paddocks for other old relics. I wish that the mechanicals were as easy to come by. It's going to be a long time searching for parts for both of the chassis I have. If I can find an engine or gearbox/differential for either will determine which chassis I start first. More pictures will come soon. I have removed the timber trailer top leaving the bare chassis which is in reasonable condition. Some deep pitting along the top of the rails where it contacted the timber of the trailer,but repairable.

Considering it has spent much of its 100 years out in the rain and elements it is in overall good condition. Even the springs have little rust between the leaves.

Edited by Chaindrive

Some more pictures. Timber top now removed it is starting to look more like a truck. The pull arrangement attached to the front of the chassis has resulted in a badly bent front axle and steering rod. The axle has been bent forward in the middle and bent up on one side. The front axle has been reversed so as to use the steering drag link in the trailer steering arangement.

image.jpg

Heavy duty rear axle consisting of two channels riveted back to back.

image-1.jpg

image-4.jpg

image-3.jpg

• 1 month later...
I would be very interested in seeing some photos of these trucks in army service with the Belgian army if anyone has come across such pictures.

Here you go! Not the best quality pics but Lacre's in belgian army service.

Marcel

Lacre1.jpg

Lacre3.jpg

Lacre2.jpg

• 11 months later...

Well,another year of parts searching has gone by and nothing substantial has turned up. I was lucky to find a correct brass makers plate on ebay which was local to me, so there is a slim chance it may be the plate from the chassis i have.

image_zpsb75ca8e5.jpg

Well,another year of parts searching has gone by and nothing substantial has turned up. I was lucky to find a correct brass makers plate on ebay which was local to me, so there is a slim chance it may be the plate from the chassis i have.

image_zpsb75ca8e5.jpg

It would be perfect if you found the chissis nr. to find it matches.

I am in a similar situation finding parts for a vintage car that is the only known one of its kind on the continent of Africa and one of about 8 worldwide. I have owned it since 2001 and only managed to find a speedometer in all this time. I started working on it towards the end of November 2013 and forwarded pictures and progress reports to some contacts that have similar vehicles in the USA and Canada. The car was about 60% complete at the time. It is now 90% complete. I received measurements, photos and leads on parts from various sources. The remaining 10% comprises of trim items that can be sourced from other vehicles or made up. Most of the parts came from the USA, some from Canada and the UK. I have just located a bonnet/hood for it in Texas after receiving drawings and photos to make one. At least the drawings and photos assisted in identifying the part. Good luck with your project and I am looking forward to read on your progress. Regards!

Mate, I don't know whether or not you are aware that there were 2 Lacres embarked with the first 2 AIF MT Companies in 1914 arriving at Romsey via Avonmouth in 1915. They were later traded in along with the others for new Peerless etc. at ASC Bulford before the Units were shipped to France. Rod

Hi Rod. Thats very interesting. I was not aware that Australia used the Lacre as military transport. Any idea as to what model they may have been - 3 or 5 tonne models?

On a different note,I have had much better luck with parts for the Fiat 18Bl. I will update the Fiat thread soon.

The two GS Cargo lorries were listed among the 3 tonners however I don't have any info re model and I cannot say for sure that they weren't 5 tonners relegated to the lesser role. Approx 60% of the 135 lorries were obtained as second hand vehicles thus requiring rebuilds to Military specs. prior to embarkation. More homework required to ascertain whether or not an example was purchased for use by the Defence Department for home front use. Rod

Here's a nice picture of a Royal Navy Lacre with matching trailer. The trailer could be completely detached from the truck for long rigid loads with one end of the load on the truck and the other on the trailer with chains running between the truck and trailer.

LacreWW1semi_zpsda755a75.jpg

• 11 months later...

I have located a chassis number on the Lacre chassis ,however in a very strange position. At the very back of the chassis on the upper flange. This would be completely covered up with a tray fitted. i am not sure if the same number is stamped elsewhere on the chassis but after much searching its the only one I have found. It is also a higher number than I expected considering the number on the brass plate I recently found online.

lacrechassisnumber_zps123d2520.jpg

With reference to Lacre serial numbers the following from Motor Transport 16.1.1922 may shed some light on them. A full page advertisement for Lacre vehicles includes testimonials from owners - "chassis 1209 ,engine no. 505 into service as a charabanc in Cornwall 28.7.1912. Chassis no. 1019 , 30 hp. 3 ton laundry van 'supplied 10 years ago' ".

To stamp chassis numbers in totally inaccessible places is not uncommon, early De Dion motor cars have the number on top of a cross member which virtually always becomes covered by bodywork timbers.

Richard Peskett.

Thanks Richard

i guess that the brass makers plate would be all that was required to be visible.

Here's an interesting article when the trucks were first being constructed in late 1910. Some good information and description of parts for those that are interested.

http://archive.commercialmotor.com/article/5th-january-1911/17/the-lacre-co-s-heaviest-modelsparticularly-about-t