1914 Fiat 18BL

Chaindrive

Hi Marcel

it does look like a close match for the engine. I have not seen a picture of this side of the engine before. As someone recently told me, the best chance of finding an engine would be if it was used to power other machinery after its time as a truck motor. This forum is a helpful asset in the restorations of these old trucks. Restorers and enthusiasts willing to help each other in the search for parts and information.

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I have been very fortunate in my parts search for my 18Bl. I have located and acquired a very good,mostly complete chassis and a good selection of parts as well. In all,bits and pieces from 5 trucks. I am still missing most of the brassware (radiator,waterpump.carburettor, lights and other brass bits and pieces) but have enough to make a good start with a restoration. The chassis that started this thread will be put in storage for another time. The 18BL that I am restoring has the larger diameter spoked wheels and was widely used in WW1 by Allied armies. It is in exceptionally good condition with little wear on the gearbox teeth. Even the brass spring bushes show little wear. In comparison some of the bushes in my parts pile have worn completely through and are well on there way wearing through the steel spring shackles. Although the truck is in good order it has spent at least 20 years out in the weather,possibly a lot longer. Judging by the amount of wear on the 'wear' parts it is a very low mileage truck and possibly spent much of its life under cover. Sadly it has a seized engine and has been through a bushfire at some stage,finishing off the solid rubber tyres.

Sorry about the quality of the picture. As you can see by the picture mostly complete. The truck in the background is also mostly complete however with a completely rusted away chassis,springs and wheels. A good source of parts though.

photofiat1_zps37f56a24.jpg

Mate, as Tony said....great stuff. Plenty to keep you busy during the months ahead. look forward to future reports. All you now need is a Lotto parts win for the Lacre and life in the restoration lane would be sweet. Rod

• 8 months later...

Hello John

Work on the restoration IS progressing although very slowly due to work commitments. I have some pictures to post at a later date.

Congratulations to you on getting wheels for your Fiat. Nicky Armstrong has been very helpful to me also along the way with information and with a handbook translation that I can send you if you like. Lucky that you also have a lead on a radiator as well.Hope you can get it. I am still looking for one on this side of the world. As you know, any parts for these old trucks are incredibly hard to find but are still out there waiting to be found.

Good to hear from you Dale. Somehow I have acquired an early FIAT car engine and a brass honeycomb radiator in trades (even though they're not of any interest to me) but nothing truck related. Will keep an eye out for parts and will let you know if I find anything. Robert

Very very kind of you John. I would put my hand up for a radiator of any condition at this stage. I have a damaged clutch bell that might be repairable if you cannot find one. I will dig it out and have a look at it. I also have a spare rear axle if you cannot repair yours. I will keep in touch.

• 2 years later...