1/24 Bedford TM 4x4 and 6x6 Scratchbuild

okdoky

After a long break away from the TM and having struggled to get the tyres to look the part, I am now far better off with info, photos and dimensions for the 4x4 that it is time to make a dent in this build.

Thanks to all who have provided info and have offered more help to come !!!!!!!!!!! Always greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!

Transferred main dimensions and scaled equivalent to my drawings

06122012754.jpg

Chassis rails cut and formed, rear axle hangers, shocks and leaf springs

06122012755.jpg

This is the fifth and probably final version of the tyre with a try at the spare wheel hanger

06122012757.jpg

Chassis rails going together at last with the first of the cross members

07122012758.jpg

07122012759.jpg

Cheers

Nige

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Amazing details!

Thanks for looking in!!!!

Works so far

Better close ups of the tyre

DVC09634.jpg

DVC09633.jpg

Need to purchase and attempt molding and casting of minimum 12.

Chassis rails going together

DVC09628.jpg

DVC09629.jpg

DVC09630.jpg

DVC09632.jpg

Convinced the Mrs to allow me to work through the night and get some me time on this !!!!! No kids to distract as in bed !!!!! Great !!!!!

Nige

I was reading your tyre / wheel building on another forum and the tread lug by lug work. Very impressive and surely you must have the patience of a saint..

Tyres really do set a model off properly. I can understand why you are going to these efforts to get a master made and them cast.

Grand work.

R

I was reading your tyre / wheel building on another forum and the tread lug by lug work. Very impressive and surely you must have the patience of a saint..

Tyres really do set a model off properly. I can understand why you are going to these efforts to get a master made and them cast.

Grand work.

R

Hi Robin

I find model building very theraputic. Is actually more stressfull knowing when I can't around to building !!!!!!!!!

Found a new way by accident to add the bolt heads which helps me a little. I had been tinting the glass of the tiny 1/144 Revell chinook with the green tamiya acrylic clear green using a tooth pick.

Out of lazy ness to find a fresh one, I used the same one to dip in the liquid cement from a puddle. The green transferred nicely with the glue to locate where I wanted the bolt head placed and I could still use the clean end of the tooth pick, with a light dab on my tongue to pick up a slice of rod over to the green spot.

Also, with one end of tooth pick bright green, I knew not to stuff that end with glue on my tongue. I did not have to add any fesh green during the process.

DVC09636.jpg

DVC09639.jpg

Also lets me see where I am missing bolt heads as there is no green around where it should be. Maybe not for those who want to show pristine white plastic through their build, but I battle glue and finger prints all the time and it is getting painted anyhow.

I have noticed I waste less time and glue trying to find where I placed the glue on small points. Maybe it will help reduce the amount of glue finger prints too.

Rear chassis pivot point for tipper or other accessories to be affixed to

DVC09637.jpg

DVC09638.jpg

Nige

Here is where I am at this morning !!!!!!!!!!

Rear hanger for the front leaf spring, the rear cab mount, and the cab tilt ram and restraining strap added to chassis

DVC09645.jpg

DVC09642.jpg

The front lifting point and the cab tilt

DVC09644.jpg

The spare wheel hanger

DVC09643.jpg

DVC09641.jpg

When I build my copies of the cab using Howard's KFS cab as a guide, I will correct a few points and add my own detailing gleaned from the many photots.For example, the step valance is built by Howard wrapping around the back of the cab, meeting with the shroud over the rear cab mount.

On the real cab the valance stops earlier

DSC03926.jpg

The cab lock downs require to be located in the spaces that are taken up by the simplified and longer valances.

This is how the KFS cab looks on the chassis at this time. I will be making my own full cab from scratch with as many correctionsand improvements as I can reasonably achieve.

DVC09640.jpg

Nige

Hi Nige,

I was just sat here thinking that the old TM masters I sent you would hardly do justice to the work you're putting in on the chassis....then I read you're going to build your own cab. Wise move if I may say so, especially after all the chassis & tyre graft.

Those masters were built not by me, but by Paul Hazell almost 20 years ago now, they were ok for the job at the time but never perfect. I took him over to the local RCT TA unit where we spent a while measuring up a real one. The resulting kit was adequate for the standard of casting employed & funds available at that time I suppose.

But once the TQ range struck up & professional casters were used, David Jane was used for all new masters & Pauls old school Crusader & TM kits were dropped.

Cracking work on the chassis by the way.:D

Best regards......Howard @ KFS

Hi Nige,

I was just sat here thinking that the old TM masters I sent you would hardly do justice to the work you're putting in on the chassis....then I read you're going to build your own cab. Wise move if I may say so, especially after all the chassis & tyre graft.

Those masters were built not by me, but by Paul Hazell almost 20 years ago now, they were ok for the job at the time but never perfect. I took him over to the local RCT TA unit where we spent a while measuring up a real one. The resulting kit was adequate for the standard of casting employed & funds available at that time I suppose.

But once the TQ range struck up & professional casters were used, David Jane was used for all new masters & Pauls old school Crusader & TM kits were dropped.

Cracking work on the chassis by the way.:-D

Best regards......Howard @ KFS

Hi Howard

Glad you looked in and I am chuffed that you like the progress thus far !!!! Please don't take what I have said as a slant on the quality of the masters you gave me, as I know only too well that casting for selling on is a constant battle between accuracy and capability to put through a mold process ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, at the same time keeping all levels of model builder happy with the level of detail versus the overall cost of the products !!!!!!!!!

I was really chuffed to get your masters, but am sad at the same time that you do not have them available for others to benefit from (unless the molds are still useable that is) !!!! The fact that it is the masters, gives me an insight into how Paul Hazel went about the art of cab building !!!

My only attempt at cab building was the DAF cab and I failed miserably due to the awkwardness of all those daft curves !!! Then your resin cab came along and I took the easy way out !!!!!

Seeing the TM cab and not wanting to spoil the masters, allows me to see the build up of a more boxy cab, and gives an opportunity for me to push my own comfort levels and have a bash at scratching them !!!!! That way, the masters will still be available, should you want to do a re-run !!!!

Hopefully I can do the model justice and get this one off the work bench a damned sight quicker that with the DAF !!! With all the info I have on the 4x4, and all the info still being offered, I have real excuse other than my procrastination !!!!!!

Thanks Howard for looking on the build, and always grateful to anyone who has further info on the 6x6 TM's that will give me a start on the parallel build !!!!!!

Cheers

Nige

Added a ring for the wheel hub outer edge and shaved off a good bit from the hub lubrication face plate.

DVC09653.jpg

DVC09654.jpg

Also cut off my awful first attempt at leaf spring hangers that were far too small and out of proportion. DImensions from the photos helped.

DVC09649.jpg

Awaiting the bolts through using Roger's drill method

DVC09652.jpg

Uploaded more reference pics of the gargo bed to photobucket thanks to Tony on the HMVF who put one on its side using an excavator so he could photograph the bed frame structure for me.

First time I have had a real truck turned over on its side intentionally (OK just the cargo bed) for reference.

Nige

Thanks for looking in on the build and glad you like so far !!!!

Bit more of the chassis in place with the corrections of the proportions of the spring hangers and the addition of the front leaf front hanger that now has all the main cross members in place with the chassis only trying to spring a fraction out of shape. I think that will get taken up by the weight of everything on its back as long as I get the suspension and axles fitted on the jig correctly.

DVC09655.jpg

DVC09658.jpg

DVC09657.jpg

DVC09656.jpg

Tonight I added the body mounting brackets to the chassis with the chopper coming in very handy for these repetative chunks to cut.

DVC09661.jpg

DVC09660.jpg

DVC09662.jpg

Back to work tomorrow so likely be chasing my tail before my Xmas break starting 24th, but having blazed a trail on the research, photos and info, plus got such a load done on the chassis already, I am determined that I am going to keep the momentum going on this one and see if I can churn it out in record time !!!!!!!!

Hope you like

Nige

Hope you're recording everything Nige......may have to re-pick your brains at some point in the future :cool2::cool2::cool2:

H

Hi Neilie

It is at this time when I wish I had one of those fancy punch and di sets that can replicate proper hex nuts of the right proportions but I have three kids to feed !!!!!!!!!!! I think I will starve them for a few weeks and save up for one !!!!!!!!!!

Howard

Would love to hear what you have up your sleeve !!!!!!!!!!!!! You are more than welcome to access all the pics I took with measure stick and info gathered so far !!!!!!! Would love to see you add the TM 4x4 and 6x6 plus maybe an Arrows 1.75t FV2408 trailer too.

http://ipmsuk.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=tae&action=display&thread=10350&page=2

Steve has done a cracking job of his scratchbuild !!!!!

It would be great to see these classic trucks added back into your range again especially to the same amazing quality of the MKs and Matadors !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If there is any thing you want, drop me an e-mail and let me know !!!!!!! Happy to pass what I have so far !!!!!!!!

Nige

Like everything else, it will be my representation as close as I can get to the tangle taking account of what I can fathom out from the photos!!!!!!!! But it will be by no means perfect, like the masters of the art, as some bits just get too hard to handle and will be fudged accordingly !!!!!!!!!!!!

But that is hopefully where a coat of primer and a few coats of paint will mask a few of those glaring mistakes !!!! It will hopefully look good from a distance !!!!!!!!

Start of filling up the chassis side rails

DVC09674.jpg

DVC09675.jpg

DVC09676.jpg

And the relay valves and pipes (assumed serving part of the air brakes system and possibly air actuators for the gearing and transfer box)

DVC09679.jpg

DVC09677.jpg

DVC09678.jpg

Nige

Hi Howard

Is it madness ???????????????? Is sending me mad at times !!!!!!!!!! But how mad can I really get ???????????

I have been lubricating my pipes with much needed amber necter and soothing a husky throat ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, well that is my excuse if ever I needed one !!!!!!!!!!

Just in case I display the TM with the cargo bed off, I have drilled out the bracket holes and shaped the centre slope in the middle

DVC09687.jpg

DVC09686.jpg

The two main air tanks plumbed in (third one made but do that tomorrow)

DVC09680.jpg

DVC09681.jpg

The load sensing valve and fittings plumbed in and secured to chassis Very fiddly angle to place it at

DVC09682.jpg

DVC09683.jpg

Chassis filling up nicely now

DVC09684.jpg

DVC09685.jpg

Hope you like

Nige

Thanks Enigma

Made a start on the engine block and chopped up one from the spares box that must have come from a Volvo. At least it was a 6 cylinder block so had the basic size and shape I needed

DVC09689.jpg

DVC09688.jpg

This is what I hope to get it looking close to

BedfordTM25.jpg

BedfordTM144.jpg

BedfordTM145.jpg

Chopped it down losing the gearbox, sump and ancillaries leaving the basic shape

DVC09691.jpg

DVC09690.jpg

Where I am so far

DVC09693.jpg

DVC09694.jpg

Also got around to starting on the axles and again canibalised a couple of axles from the spares box and chopped off the square half shaft housings leaving only the circular diffs. Basic tube through them which will need refined like all the other bits

DVC09692.jpg

Some bits will get more refined than others depending on how prominent they will be, or how visible they might become if I display the model without cab or cargo bed fitted.

Nige

Back onto the workbench after all the pies and pints from the festive season !!!!!! No headaches though thankfully !!!!!!!

Also after appearing worldwide on live TV with my family at Stirling Castle New Year Concert with the Proclaimers !!!!!!!!! Don't worry, my head not swelling too much as was only a bit part with 6000 other people !!!!!!!! Ha ha ha ha ha !!!!!!!!!!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=557753714253518&set=a.100461476649413.748.100000566829707&type=1&theater

Had a go at making the gear box and actuators and fitted it to a donor clutch housing from another kit engine lump that looked similar !!!!!!!!!

DVC09695.jpg

DVC09696.jpg

DVC09698.jpg

DVC09697.jpg

DSC03929.jpg

Hope these work as it looks like Photobucket may be getting unstable and losing or mixing up pics in my folder !!!!!!!!

BLOODY TECHNOLOGY !!!!!!!!!!

Nige