Series 3 Land Rover Electrics

I have a 1983 ex RAF Regiment Land Rover Series 3 109 - 12v - only done about metric equivalent of 27K miles since new. Not terribly well looked after but has always been there when I wanted it since I bought it nearly 20 years ago!

The Oil Pressure warning light, the temperature gauge itself and the dashboard lights have all failed - all at the same time. Fuses all look OK - anybody else experienced this problem and can aim me in the right direction for the cause of the problem and for a quick fix please?

Even when the Gauge Lights were working, they were always very dull and did not glare. I was never sure if this was intended or if there was a problem with them then.

Tony

Hopefully uploaded the correct file for circuit diagram of the Ser 3.

Over the years landrovers get lots of rewiring bodges which make these kind of faults hard to track down, if you look at all the bits that no longer work on the wiring diagram there is no obvious single point to look at.

You say the temp gauge has stopped working but I assume that the fuel gauge still works? For that I would look for a loose connection as the fuel gauge supply comes from the same wire as the temp gauge.

I would have the steering wheel off, the dash panel off and carefully check for loose connections and probe for volts in the relevant areas.

S3_petrol_alternator[1].pdf

The Oil Pressure warning light, the temperature gauge itself and the dashboard lights have all failed - all at the same time.

Tony those 3 things all come from different areas of the wiring.

Is that a water or oil temp gauge that has failed & has the fuel gauge failed?

Oil pressure light failed but has the choke warning light failed as well?

The dashboard lights (thats both?) failed have any of the side lights failed?

Its a Land Rover check the earths

The dash lights are on the same circuit as the side lights from the 6 way (red wire).

If your side lights work it is either the dash switch, bulbs or earth.

I believe the power for the water and oil guages have the same supply as the fuel gauge, (bottom fuse?)

Does your fuel gauge work?

The Water and oil gauges earth through the sender on the engine (you are electric and not vacuum?)

Assuming you are electric it maybe worth checking the earth from the engine. My earth was loose but this meant the gauges read high.

Mike

Edited by mike65
spelling mistooks

Many thanks to all three of you for such helpful advice - and for the wiring diagram which has come through fine!

The answers to the various questions are:-

Yes, the Fuel Gauge is still working OK - for each tank when switched over.

It is a Water Temperature Gauge

The Choke Warning Light has failed as well - sorry forgot to mention that!

The side lights are working OK and yes both dashboard lights have failed.

Yes electric - not vacuum.

You have set me up very nicely for the weekend to have a proper look and thank you all once again! We don't have these problems with WW1 Trucks!

Tony

I still cannot think of a reason why everything went at the same time, but I have a few ideas that might help.

Though not marked on the wiring diagram I am sure I have seen a dimmer switch for the dash lights on series 3's which, if fitted, would be a good candidate for dash light failure, otherwise the switch either of which you can bypass to check.

Check your temp gauge by earthing the green blue wire, you can do that under the bonnet by taking it off the temp sensor and clipping it to the metalwork, gauge should head for hot.

As you say the choke light is off I would have the steering column shroud off and check the connections at the back of the fuse box, give them all a good wiggle, especially the link between 5 & 7.

The last thing....as your land rover is ex-mil the wiring could be totally different to the wiring diagram. :undecided:

Unfortunately you don't give sufficient details for me to get on to a good diagram, 12 volt mil. or 12 volt CL (Commercial Logistics) , anyway at 1983 you will have the later changes - so work to this diagram (that will be very near / same).

http://www.land-rover-lightweight.co.uk/Images/Electrical/ImageMineNew.jpg

First probe , check at the ignition switch , - follow the white line to top of fuse (contact 5) - have you a voltage ?

I take it - the engine does start/run ?

Edited by ruxy
amd.

Thanks for all your help and advice - I spent some time on trying the various things you suggested this morning but so far, no complete success. I need to spend more time on it and do it properly - I will come back to you with the final results in due course!

It is now just the Choke warning light and the lights for the two dials. Everything there looks OK - so I am obviously missing something quite simple! Everything else working just fine - no trouble in starting and running.

Tony