Important Hot Of The Press Pre 1960 MOT Rules Explained

Thanks for posting this.

One immediate question which springs to mind is how to amend incorrect 'age' information for vehicles for which the manufacturer no longer exists and for which there is no Glass's guide available. Presumably a letter from an identifying club would be acceptable in these circumstances?

- MG

Thanks for posting this.

One immediate question which springs to mind is how to amend incorrect 'age' information for vehicles for which the manufacturer no longer exists and for which there is no Glass's guide available. Presumably a letter from an identifying club would be acceptable in these circumstances?

- MG

Very good question and one I will ask!!!

The letter does say though "DVLA will not accept general dating certificates......"

Will try to get an answer

Looks fairly straightforward and well thought-out to me. The only difficulty looks to arise where there is a wish to rectify incorrect dating information for an already registered vehicle - where, if Glasses guide reference or factory records are not available, it is going to be impossible to amend.

I read it as specifically stating only Glasses Guide or factory records accepted in the case of vehicles already registered but having incorrect dating information - in other cases of newly restored or imported machines (i.e. first registration) it states that dating by approved clubs will continue to be accepted.

An example of the first case might be a Matador registered in 1975 as an agricultural machine on a Q plate with a manufacture date of 'unknown' - this would need Glasses or factory records to alter to 1942, a general dating certificate from a club will not be accepted.

But if it was a Matador not previously registered (i.e. DVLA have no previous record) then the club dating certificate is acceptable.

I read it as specifically stating only Glasses Guide or factory records accepted in the case of vehicles already registered but having incorrect dating information - in other cases of newly restored or imported machines (i.e. first registration) it states that dating by approved clubs will continue to be accepted.

An example of the first case might be a Matador registered in 1975 as an agricultural machine on a Q plate with a manufacture date of 'unknown' - this would need Glasses or factory records to alter to 1942, a general dating certificate from a club will not be accepted.

But if it was a Matador not previously registered (i.e. DVLA have no previous record) then the club dating certificate is acceptable.

That is how I understand it and that is how it reads

However the Matador would be under the existing rules for an LGV

Another example is a Champ built 1955 but not registered until 1970 or a S1 Land Rover built 1957 and not registered until 1968

It does say though that a dating certificate would not be accepted

I am in the process of requesting clarification (in my position of MVT Verification Officer) from the DVLA

Watch this space!!!!

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...

A vehicle licenced (Taxed) as Historic can be used laden for personal use. (not sure about commercial without checking.) The pre 1960 MOT / Plating + Testing Exemption only allows unladen use.

I have 1967 Bedford RL. It can be licenced as Historic but as it is later than 1960 it needs an annual test. Once tested and licenced it can be used laden.

If it was a pre 1960 RL it could be licenced as Historic and used unladen without testing, it would need to be tested to be used laden but would still be licenced as Historic.

That is how I understand it and that is how it reads

However the Matador would be under the existing rules for an LGV

Another example is a Champ built 1955 but not registered until 1970 or a S1 Land Rover built 1957 and not registered until 1968

It does say though that a dating certificate would not be accepted

I am in the process of requesting clarification (in my position of MVT Verification Officer) from the DVLA

Watch this space!!!!

Hello,

I've been looking at this thread as I'm one of the people with a 1955 champ and a V5 that says date of first registration of1968, but I can't spot the outcome of the clarification that you refer to in your posting.

My problem is compounded by the fact that having contacted the BMIHT they are unable to provide me with a certificate as there is a gap in their records for my chassis number.

Can you or anyone else please help?

Thanks in advance to anyone replying

Cheers

Adrian

If you are a member of the MVT then contact the verification officer for guidance, yours will not be the first Champ owner they have helped.

If you are not in the MVT then maybe worth joining and then contacting the verification officer

If you are a member of the MVT then contact the verification officer for guidance, yours will not be the first Champ owner they have helped.

If you are not in the MVT then maybe worth joining and then contacting the verification officer

Thanks for the prompt reply, and yes I'm a long standing MVT member so I'll take up your advice.

Kiind regards