Help - 105mm Howitzer

One of our guys went to view the M8s that are being advertised by this chap and they were MUCH worse than expected. However I don't know whther this was due to my friend's over-optimism or the seller's over-description. Maybe a mix of the two.

I believe Peter Kniest is a well-respected dealer in this hobby - perhaps the Dutch guys can comment?

One of our guys went to view the M8s that are being advertised by this chap and they were MUCH worse than expected. However I don't know whther this was due to my friend's over-optimism or the seller's over-description. Maybe a mix of the two.

I believe Peter Kniest is a well-respected dealer in this hobby - perhaps the Dutch guys can comment?

I've bought small stuff from him and it was OK.

Well I have a short wheelbase GMC and I am after a blank firing 105mm to tow behind my truck, I have been in touch with this person and he has sent me a couple of pics of the guns, severly de-milled though :cry: :cry:

R Cubed

105h1a.jpg

105h1b.jpg

105h1c.jpg

105h1d.jpg

105h1e.jpg

105h1g.jpg

105h1h.jpg

105h1j.jpg

105h1k.jpg

105h1l.jpg

Edited by R Cubed

• 2 years later...

I found this OLD thread by chance and thought I could update it.

I bought one of these 105mm M2's earlier this year and imported it into the U.K.I have since completely rebuilt the gun to the point that there is no visible sign of the previous damage.

Apart from the usual restoration work I have had new elevation springs manufactured,the elevation plates have had new teeth machined and re-cut and all the torch damage repaired.

My particular M2 is dated 1943 and after speaking to Peter Kneist at War and Peace ,he told me that there was only one or two war time guns left.

Although they are a big piece of kit they can clean up very well and realy are a nice gun.

For those of you who like pictures I have attached a couple of my finished restoration.

Rob.........................rnixartillery.

DSCF2351.jpg

DSCF2358.jpg

Interesting.........

Good job of restoration.

I have one of those too from the same batch. I presume all the cutting was the same ie gas axed 3/4 way through the barrel, crescent elevating gears cut, Hydro pneumatic damper cut up, elevating springs cut, breach ring cut across the top !!!!!!!!!!

Would love to see more pics of yours .

Here's a pic of mine.

Front side after paintR.jpg

The restoration of my M2 took me 6 months (evenings and weekends) there are a few small jobs to do still but I am slowly working through them.

I have just reproduced a full set of barrel rods to fit onto the guns trail which have turned out very well.

I am in the process of restoring a 1943 6 pdr so I try to do bits on all of my guns when parts become available.

Attached are a few before and after pics.:sweat:

Rob..........................rnixartillery.

DSCF1526.jpg

DSCF0591.jpg

DSCF1494.jpg

DSCF2299.jpg

DSCF1488.jpg

105 007.jpg

Edited by rnixartillery

Wow, fantastic restores, both of them!!

How many hours were put into them to restore them?

I am sorry to say that apart from getting it de-acted and stamped its only had a very quick spray job not even the right colour, but was desperate to get it to our show, only 2 new tyres, so there you go better than the original colour.

The restoration of my M2 took me 6 months (evenings and weekends) there are a few small jobs to do still but I am slowly working through them.

I have just reproduced a full set of barrel rods to fit onto the guns trail which have turned out very well.

I am in the process of restoring a 1943 6 pdr so I try to do bits on all of my guns when parts become available.

Attached are a few before and after pics.:sweat:

Rob..........................rnixartillery.

Nice bit of work as you will probably know I am in the same boat as you regarding the cut up bits would you be able to give me the spec of the 2 springs and what it cost, would be interested if you could also show the barrel rods ect.

How are you keeping the barrel and sledge up the carriage, I see you have also refitted the hydraulic ram nut back on, how ? Does all the hydro/pneumatics work or does it just look right.

Keep up the good work

Rich

Edited by R Cubed

When I found a suitable spring manufacturer I had great difficulty finding the correct specs for the two coil springs infact I bought 6 different M2 manuals and finaly found one that had all the information I needed so even when the springs were made it was touch and go if they would work .

They were spot on,worked a treat.I had two sets made (one for a colleague who also has an M2 ) and they worked out at about £400 for the inner and outer spring per set.

The cleaning rods,I have reproduced from originals attached is a pic of the brass ends I have had turned,I have also turned the ash staffs and they are now complete.

Rob.................................rnixartillery.

HPIM1205.jpg

Amazing stuff Rob and Rich!

Rob - will you be towing it with anything WWII?

Rich - would you be bringing that to A&E??

What do you think, of course I will be bringing it, try and stop me, I have not spent all that money and shipping it half way round the world ish, to leave it at home :drive: ( wow just noticed we even get left hand drive avatars )

Truck and gun will have new paint jobs as well.

IMG_3334r.jpg

Edited by R Cubed

What do you think, of course I will be bringing it, try and stop me, I have not spent all that money to leave it at home :drive: Truck and gun will have new paint jobs as well.

:bow::bow: That would be awesome as Martin from Allied Forces will be bringing his too! Fantastic.

Thanks for the positive comments,the furthest my Artillery travels is from my workshop to my storage shed which is about 20 ft and its usualy on the back of a tractor infact I have a couple of restored guns that have not even been outside yet !

It just showes you how much kit is tucked away in peoples sheds that never gets seen.

Rob...................................rnixartillery collection.