HGM Vienna, Austria

The HGM in Vienna is one of the more intresting museums I've been to. It's located in a large beautiful building with lots of space between the displays inside. It covers early times until after ww2, with a few tanks and planes from more modern periode.

The Highlight being the car that Franz Ferdinand sat in when he was shot, which started ww1. Also among the goodies are a SU-100 tank and a Fiesler Storch. The tank collection outside is the least impressing, but only due to lack of space I would think. A fence placed close to the vehicles crammed into the small courtyard ruins the nice collection. And ruins the opportunity to take nice pictures.

I highly recommend a visit to the museums that shows the rich military history of Austria.

http://www.hgm.or.at/

Bilde2771.jpg

Bilde2682.jpg

Bilde2341.jpg

Bilde2360.jpg

Bilde2352.jpg

Bilde2348.jpg

Bilde2358.jpg

Marty

• 3 years later...
Does this museum have a Saurer 4K on display? What is the best day to visit or are there not too many tourists so it won't matter?

Have you checked the museum website HGM.at ? It is in English as well as German, while you are in Vienna try and visit the Flak towers in Augarten, they are very impressive and well worth seeing.

Tomorrow and Sunday there is a day with presentations of different military vehicles from collectors.

It is called " Auf Räder und Ketten" that translate to "On Wheels and Chains"

http://www.hgm.at/de/nc/museum/veranstaltungskalender/detail/show/Event////auf-raedern-und-ketten-2016.html

The Austrian Army got many surplus vehicles from the US after US, British, French and Russian Forces left Austria in 1955. Many UNNRA vehicles went to private owners to earn the money and even the fire brigades refurbished 4x4 vehicles for there use.

Motorfahrer

Tomorrow and Sunday there is a day with presentations of different military vehicles from collectors.

It is called " Auf Räder und Ketten" that translate to "On Wheels and Chains"

Motorfahrer

So, does that mean that 'Kettenrad' really means 'chains wheels' ?

trevor

So, does that mean that 'Kettenrad' really means 'chains wheels' ?

trevor

I guess its Tracked motorcycle would be better.

Ketten is tracks and Krad a abreviation of Kraftfahrrad, more or less a motorcycle.

I guess its Tracked motorcycle would be better.

Ketten is tracks and Krad a abreviation of Kraftfahrrad, more or less a motorcycle.

Thanks, I had not previously considered that the name meant anything at all :)

trevor

Kettenrad=Chain wheel

Kettenkrad as already said is Ketten= Chains and Krad abbreviation of Kraftrad=Motorcycle.

a tracked vehicle translates in german as "Kettenfahrzeug"

There are some pictures of the On Wheels And Track event on the Facebook page of the HGM. Even some British with bren carrier and a Alvis Stalwart of which the Austrian army had a few.

Motorfahrer

Edited by motorfahrer