Y Service web site

Tony B

Thank you Tony.

Phil's providing most of the material - I'm just handling the techy stuff.

Lauren, any work purporting to be about the Y service that doesn't work with, or at least acknowledge, Garats Hay would be very foolish. Phil used to be a member there, I think - dunno if he still is.

Their website is hardly a model of clarity, to be fair.......

If any of you know of stuff we can link to, or reference works we've ,missed, do please let us know.

I'd have a natter with them rather than using the website :)

My grandmother was in the Y service at Beaumanor. I don't have any links but I did pick up one of the bound reprints of the WOYGian newspaper. She's mentionned in one of the issues when she met my grandfather.

I understand the Chicksands museum has some bits and bobs on the Y service as well, but I've not arranged to visit yet.

I look forward to seeing what the new website puts up :)

Edited by Lauren Child

Morning Lauren.

Thanks for that. How about a short article (with a picture or two?) about your Grandmother's experiences?

The site is still a work in progress, as indeed we hope it will always be - but you can find it at http://goldbeach.org.uk/Y%20service/

I don't know a great deal I'm afraid - I heard a lot of stories from my grandad about his time in the navy, but not a lot from her. I keep meaning to visit Beaumanor to see what the place is like (they do dinner evening events every so often).

I'll look forward to reading your website!

• 3 years later...

Hi

Apart from the Bedford OX tractor units with the actual transmitter and receiver trailers could you please tell me what other vehicles went with this unit. Clearly from the photo on the website one was a Tilley, but as it was a 22 man self contained unit, it would have had other vehicles and if so what were they. I have a Bedford OY 3 ton truck and am wondering if such a vehicle was included in the unit's line up, and if so what for.

Matthew

I'll try and find out.

Hi Thanks for this I'd appreciate this. I gather a Golden Arrow Mk2 unit was sent to Australia sometime during WWII and I assume with the Bedford OX prime movers but it may have come out as a complete package with all the gear for the self contained 22 man unit. And this may have included a number of Bedford OY's too, possibly.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Thanks for this I'd appreciate this. I gather a Golden Arrow Mk2 unit was sent to Australia sometime during WWII and I assume with the Bedford OX prime movers but it may have come out as a complete package with all the gear for the self contained 22 man unit. And this may have included a number of Bedford OY's too, possibly.

A number of Golden Arrow, and WS10 sets https://histru.bournemouth.ac.uk/CHiDE/Oral_History_of_Defence_Electronics/ws10_intro.htm

Went to Australia as support for the British Atomic tests.

I understand the Chicksands museum has some bits and bobs on the Y service as well, but I've not arranged to visit yet.

Incidentally, I checked out the Chicksands museum. It's an interesting day out, but from a Y service point of view they only cover the local area - they didnt have any information on other Y stations.

Spoke to Phil, Y Service used OY as transport trucks. Actually they had Carte Blanche to get anything they wanted. Markings on the vehicle would have been standard 30 Corp makings, the Black Boar. Vehicles carried no special markings, in fact for security there are pictures of Bedford QLR with canvas over the top half to make them look like GS trucks.

Spoke to Phil, Y Service used OY as transport trucks. Actually they had Carte Blanche to get anything they wanted. Markings on the vehicle would have been standard 30 Corp makings, the Black Boar. Vehicles carried no special markings, in fact for security there are pictures of Bedford QLR with canvas over the top half to make them look like GS trucks.

Interesting stuff. Do you know where I would find those pictures?

Pictures are still difficult to find, they were not encouraged. Phil's researching North Africa at the moment. Any 30 Corp vehilce would have the marking. The only thing that would donate Y Service personnel was a marking in their pay book, that in case of injury and treatment in hospital the must be returned to unit, not allocated to general replacement pool.

Thanks Tony that's great, an idea as to the number of OY's per unit of 22 men, assuming that there were two OX's per unit.

Regards

Matt

There is a interesting book I read recently , the book describes the MI6 operations , it details the mobile MI6 units . They used Guy Ant Wireless Vans and modified US 3/4 Ton Dodge WC Ambulances . The unit also used Packard sedans . Their job was to disseminate the Y intercepts to the Generals in the field . One MI6 mobile unit followed Patton around and the intercepts were hand delivered , each car had its own special wireless sets, these were hand built by the MI6 workshops

Secret Wireless War, The: The Story of MI6 Communications 1939-1945

Pidgeon, Geoffrey

UPSO, London

ISBN: 1843752522

Pages:

Format: Hardcover

Edited by goanna