Normandy holiday 2013, child friendly?

Rick W

Looking for a possible holiday venue in normandy next year, hoping for a location close to beaches, has to have something near to entertain sprigs, can anyone recommend anywhere? I went to Ouistreham when I was a nipper and found it good, don't know if it's still the same, any thoughts welcome!

we stayed at Ivy House 4 times with the previous owners and always had a great time ,it is ideally siuated for the American beaches and drop zones but quite a trek from the British and Canadian areas,there is also a campsite on Utah beach which I have heard good reports about called la Cormorante camping.If you are looking for a central location I would not hesitate to recommend camping Mathilde at Etreham near Port en Bessin we stopped there in 2009 whilst taking part in the Guinness record for most allied bikes together since ww2.It is a nice site with a pool and bar as well as a small restaurant and excellent toilets and shower facilities.I am sure many other members will have stayed here as it hosts many MVT members during D Day anniversaries

Nigel

Hi, we have just stayed at Normandy Beach B&B in Arromanches, 2 minute walk to the beach, Adrian and Karen Cox are English and its a great place to stay, family rooms full of WW2 objects with 4 beds and a bathroom or 3 or 2, whatever you want. Very laid back and very helpful. He has something to do with the Museum there so is a usefull contact for the area.Highly recommended.

I've stayed at this one a few times...10 minutes walk down onto Omaha Beach at the Vierville end.......

and there's the remains of the gun emplacements around the old chateau .... right at the end of the camp site just beyond the fence there are a lot of 'Tobruk' emplacements and the remains of slit trenchs to poke about in.......(a fair ol' battle took place to subdue this defence point lasting into the morning of the 7/6/44).........

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&cp=8&gs_id=u&xhr=t&q=omaha+beach&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&biw=1366&bih=653&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl

ah bah..sorry.....my link isn't right on the camp site....it's easy enough to find though .....look at Vierville and to the left up a lane off the main D514 road is the campsite called La Herode....

Edited by RattlesnakeBob

We stopped at this campsite in 2009: http://www.chateau-martragny.com/index.htm?lang=en and I would recommend it to anyone that is camping as it's situated between Bayeux and Caen and easy enough to reach all areas of Normandy.

While last year we stayed in a B&B that is tucked away but again in a good location and would recommend it to others, more info here: http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g1432119-d623629-Reviews-La_Ferme_des_Perelles-Saint_Vigor_le_Grand_Calvados_Basse_Normandie_Normandy.html

Hope the above is of use.