WW2 British Trailer T plate with orange reflectors

Ian L

Ian I suspect the reflectors are just faded red ones. I have a VAOS, admittedly 1952, but it lists only one type & indicates that it is not primarily a military spec.

"To Ministry of Transport regulation. Fitted with eight 3/4in rubby reflex lenses. For fitting to rear of all trailers."

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Do you really want to know Ian?

£60 for the pair...a real bargain, as they can fetch more than £80 each on Ebay for a fairly rough one. But seldom come up for sale.

So your NOS example is an excellent buy.

(It wasn't listed under Military spares or Military Vehicles was it?)

I'm looking for one. not seen one on e-bay for ages and haven't found them at any of the fairs.

Well my rusty one might be forsale ? I bought it at last years W&P show from a friend of Richard Farrant (Steve I think his name is ?)

pm sent

Hi Guys Great to see "T" plates still show up from time to time!

John, you might recall my "result" two years ago at GDSF, I found a stall holder who had some " T plates at home", when I phoned him he had 8 good plates and 2 tatty ones, I bought them all for £210 includeing P&P.Possibly my best ever result at a steam of military fair.

Unfortunatly I found homes for them all. so sorry they,ve all gone. I've got to get in touch with the dealer, if he has more I'll get them and let forum members know and pass them on.

Watch this space

Regards to all

Robin

John, you might recall my "result" two years ago at GDSF, I found a stall holder who had some " T plates at home", when I phoned him he had 8 good plates and 2 tatty ones, I bought them all for £210 includeing P&P.Robin

Hi Robin,

Yes I do remember and that was a ggod example of what is still out there in people's sheds and garages.

If you do find some more, I need one the MUREX Welding trailer. Thanks

• 3 years later...
I'm looking for one. not seen one on e-bay for ages and haven't found them at any of the fairs.

Probably too late for you but there's another on ebay & its going sky high again !!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152443957854?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

When I started looking 6 years ago £50 was the tops now they seem to go over £150 :shocked: lets see what this one fetch's ?

T plate..jpg

Seeing some of the parts that are fabricated by members posting on this Forum it surely wouldn't take much to fabricate some new ones?

How much would someone in a pressing shop charge to set up and stamp out a T and for us to drill a few holes for starters?

Think this has been talked about before and the problem has been not the plate - which you could stamp or profile quite easily - but getting reflectors of the right size and style.

its a bit of a faff, but you can cast your own in clear (or clear red) casting resin, using a silicon mould taken from an original. If using clear resin, you can paint the front in clear red model paint and then paint the back in crafting mirror paint. I have a friend in China who could injection mould them but you would need to make tens of thousands to make it worthwhile

The bottom reflector in this T plate is made that way. It's not perfect but certainly better than having a reflector missing a big chunk

.IMG_2334.jpg

Edited by simon king