MK3 Morris quad beatle back

Catch 22 LBDR

Hi guys, I am doing a very long term restoration of a MK3 Morris commercial Quad Gun Tractor, C8, beetle back body. Unfortunately like many Quads the back body was removed after the war and used as an agricultural tractor. My question is, does anyone have dimensions and or pictures of this area so I can reconstruct one from scratch, Even some basic but accurate dimensions would be a great start.

Thanks.

Ross

I will try and post some pics of my progress so far on hear too.

Edited by Catch 22 LBDR

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know of one Salsbury way and one Leeds end and was looking for one near me that has dissapered again do you want the measurements in "or metric? i have some pics already so i can forward your details if you want

That would be fantastic, Metric, Imperial, it doesn't matter. I need to start off with the measurements for the frame work first. But any help would be great. If you don't want to post your pics on hear I can PM you my email if you like. Thanks

• 1 year later...

Just a quick heads up on the restoration so far. Hear are some pictures of the gear box. It was completely striped down and all oil seals were replaced. As was the hand brake leaver. I also had to weld the 4wd selected back together. This mechanism seams to automaticly select 4wd when 1st gear is selected...clever.

Photo0455.jpg

Photo0456.jpg

Hear are some over all pictures of the chassis so far. As you can see there is a bit of surface rust starting to come through the primmer, it's bean a while since I have had the time to work on it.

Over the next few weeks I plan to wire brush, re-prime and paint it. I will also fit the gearbox and rear winch pulleys and strip the engine ready for rebuilding. If all goes well I will have a rolling chassis by next summer.

Photo0459.jpg

Photo0458.jpg

Photo0462.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

[h=5]My Quad was still sporting its Desert colours (Portland stone all over) when I got it and had wondered how the vehicle had made it into civilian hands this way. I also wondered if Mk3's were ever used in North Africa. I am going to paint her up as per the picture, but will this be accurate. Also I had assumed that tracing its history next to imposable. If I were to try how would I go about it?skp190pic02.gif[/h][h=5]Hear are some pictures of the original markings, Any idea's??

The cycle (weight disc) has a square or shield divided diagonally with a silver line. The top left triangle was gold then latter yellow, or framed in yellow. and the bottom right triangle is blue. There is evidence of a letter or number on the gold (but not on the blue) painted in silver. Its all panted onto the Portland stone (desert yellow). The whole disc was once painted yellow and also green. The green looks to be the factory paint.

The Square is painted a grey colour all over with the letter painted in yellow and repainted in silver. The letter could be the Greek omega symbol and the picture could be up the wrong way.[/h]Chassis number is 1929 F.W.D. 8580 (c8) Engine number is LH 30990.

Photo0492.jpg

Photo0491.jpg

The sign on the square plate is a post-war one for 72nd Infantry Brigade. It's the right way up and was originally symmetrical, with two "horns".

The bridging plate sign looks like an upside-down RASC sign. The blue bit is normally top left, but going by the position of the bolt holes and assuming it was originally bolted to the RHS of the radiator surround I guess the photo is the right way up, in which case I'm struggling with this, because I'm not too clued-up on post-war signs.

As for it being painted in light stone, that's quite possible if the Quad had been used in the Middle East.

It would look good in the Caunter colour scheme but I think your Quad might have entered service a bit late for this.

I knew someone on hear would know:-D. Do you have a picture of the 72nd Infantry Brigade symbol?

The bridging plate is the tight way up and it was bolted to the RHS of the radiator surround.

I did a small Google search but could only find details from ww2 about the 72nd Inf Bgd. At that time it was two interlocking circles, one silver and one red.

Edited by Catch 22 LBDR