MK3 Morris quad beatle back

Catch 22 LBDR

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone have dimensions of the drivers foot well please, the floor plate that the clutch and brake peddles come up through? I think there is a hinged cover for filling the brake master cylinder on it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]99465[/ATTACH]

my Dad used to drive these in Germany out of Dortmund National Sevice days,always talking about the Morris Commercial,but very rare to see a Beatle Back version in the uk now.

your doin a brill job good on ya.

my Dad used to drive these in Germany out of Dortmund National Sevice days,always talking about the Morris Commercial,but very rare to see a Beatle Back version in the uk now.

your doin a brill job good on ya.

Same here my Dad drove them in 20th field regiment 54-57, you're doing a cracking job Ross, will you be bringing it over the water at all when she's finished?

Kev.

I might have an original one of the floor sections.................i'll take a photo of it over the weekend.

also, just asking, did you clean out the tiny pressure relief hole in the master cylinder? it's easily overlooked as I did with my C8 then wondered why the system was pressurising !

Jules

Does anyone have dimensions of the drivers foot well please, the floor plate that the clutch and brake peddles come up through? I think there is a hinged cover for filling the brake master cylinder on it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]99465[/ATTACH]

I might have an original one of the floor sections.................i'll take a photo of it over the weekend.

also, just asking, did you clean out the tiny pressure relief hole in the master cylinder? it's easily overlooked as I did with my C8 then wondered why the system was pressurising !

Jules

is this what your after ?

WP_20141221_001.jpg

WP_20141221_002.jpg

It looks like it might be Jules, is your one off a MK2 ? I only ask as I was expecting there to be a flap where your one has a V cut out. Would you be able to do a drawing with measurements for me please?

C8 C9 Handbook p.67.jpg

Thanks for all the support guys, it's bean a long journey. Kev I would love to drive it to the war and peace show some time:nut:. It does seam that MK3 betel back quads are quite rare, I think because they were easier to drive than the MK2 that they had a hard after Sevres life. My one was a proper basket case and not for the faint hearted.

• 4 weeks later...

I have bean working on the front windscreen for the last few weeks and I have to say it is the hardest part to fabricate so far. The original windscreen was in very poor condition and in several parts. It was very hard to get any accurate dimensions from it. I had to use parts like the brass glass surrounds and location of hinges ets to try and make it up. It's almost there and it is starting to look like the iconic shape of a Morris C8. Pictures of the finished windscreen to follow but hear are some pictures of what I had to work with.

Photo0691.jpg

Photo0692.jpg

Photo0690.jpg

Photo0689.jpg

Photo0686.jpg

Photo0685.jpg

Photo0684.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The engine so far: New rings and valve springs, 4 new valves. all valves were re ground and the cylinders honed. The dynamo was inspected and tested but not rebuilt. Still a lot to do.Water pump, oil filler tube, oil filter, flywheel, clutch, manifolds, dynamo and distributor still to do.

1609796_954558941222572_7596230474606178794_n.jpg

11080247_954558537889279_7237383360583504459_n.jpg

Photo0043.jpg

Photo0042.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Water pump checked, and fitted once the broken bolt was removed. Fan belt and fan fitted too. I decided to paint the blades red, it looks very striking next the green. Flywheel cleaned and fitted, new spark plugs fitted and the manifolds were cleaned, painted (with high temp paint) and fitted. The oil filter was cleaned, painted and fitted as was the water jacket cover. This was a bit of a pain as it was distorted from over tightening, I straightened it as best I could and fitted it with a new gasket and plenty of instant gasket, just to be sure. I also polished up some of the brass bits too. Carb, distributor and starter next and then hopefully a bench test. fingers crossed!!

Edited by Catch 22 LBDR

Well done, lovely job.

Just a little observation, your fan belt looks tight. The manual says something like you should be able to hold the belt together between the top & bottom pulleys and have a gap of one and a quarter inches or thereabouts. Just check the manual to be sure. It seems awfully slack but that's right.

Keep up the good work.

Jerry