Pictures of Humber Pig Belfast 1973

Strangely Brown

Well done on getting that chassis plate picture, it is difficult getting the camera & your head in there.

The belly plate is from a Pig rather than a Hornet. The exhaust pipe on a Hornet exits in front of the O/S front wheel & the cylindrical silencer was under the front of the engine. So it needed a rather bulged belly plate to accommodate the silencer.

I knew that there must have been something on the plate on the right corner. I thought it was my bad eyesight rather than a word being chiselled out. A normal Pig chassis plate has just on the top line 'TRUCK 1 TON ARMOURED' there is no other word. The spacing showed that there was another word up there.

Despite what they have tried to remove the Hornet identity is there in the Asset Code 310125.01.777 that for a FV1611 was 310118.01.777 both of these variants were based on the FV1601 which was 311135.01.777

All Hornets were based on FV1601 & not as some drivel in books & the internet say they were modified Pigs.

So I think your Hornet was re-bodied from a knackered Pig & a replacement engine fitted from 27 BK 08. This Pig was FFR & had the 2-speed generator which would explain why yours has one. Pigs Mk 2 were not all 2-speed generators there are some single speed ones.

But your Hornet history is not just evidenced from the record card & Chilwell register but you have that Asset Code 310125.01.777 evidence on the plate, nobody thought to hide!

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done on getting that chassis plate picture, it is difficult getting the camera & your head in there.

The belly plate is from a Pig rather than a Hornet. The exhaust pipe on a Hornet exits in front of the O/S front wheel & the cylindrical silencer was under the front of the engine. So it needed a rather bulged belly plate to accommodate the silencer.

I knew that there must have been something on the plate on the right corner. I thought it was my bad eyesight rather than a word being chiselled out. A normal Pig chassis plate has just on the top line 'TRUCK 1 TON ARMOURED' there is no other word. The spacing showed that there was another word up there.

Despite what they have tried to remove the Hornet identity is there in the Asset Code 310125.01.777 that for a FV1611 was 310118.01.777 both of these variants were based on the FV1601 which was 311135.01.777

All Hornets were based on FV1601 & not as some drivel in books & the internet say they were modified Pigs.

So I think your Hornet was re-bodied from a knackered Pig & a replacement engine fitted from 27 BK 08. This Pig was FFR & had the 2-speed generator which would explain why yours has one. Pigs Mk 2 were not all 2-speed generators there are some single speed ones.

But your Hornet history is not just evidenced from the record card & Chilwell register but you have that Asset Code 310125.01.777 evidence on the plate, nobody thought to hide!

Thank you Clive, its wonderful to have a piece of history, I have the brake cylinders to change, a general service and front hydraulic hatches to get working. Then run my Pig, want to show it and enjoy driving it. Is it possible to send me a copy of the record card, can that be done with a pm. Thank you once again Nigel.

Nigel do you have the Servicing Schedule? There are things to bear in mind, for instance do not put gear oil in the gear box, use engine oil SAE30. So hopefully it will be at the shows this coming season, where are you located or more to the point which shows will you take it to? I am in S.Wales if you within range I can show you the pitfalls & things to look out for on my FV1609.

PM me your email & I can send the limited info I have on yours.

Nigel do you have the Servicing Schedule? There are things to bear in mind, for instance do not put gear oil in the gear box, use engine oil SAE30. So hopefully it will be at the shows this coming season, where are you located or more to the point which shows will you take it to? I am in S.Wales if you within range I can show you the pitfalls & things to look out for on my FV1609.

PM me your email & I can send the limited info I have on yours.

I have the User Handbook and EMERs, im near Sheffield, will do Yorkshire war time and if possible War time in the Vale which is more your territory. I knew you were moving but hadn't realised you went to Wales. Hope all is well there. Thank you Clive, will pm you. Nigel.

Hi guys

A few more pics. First two more pics of that Saracen Ambulance from Fort Monagh (and a bit of a landrover beside it).

saracen-02_zpspmcepaho.jpg

saracen-01_zpszecmxtlg.jpg

I have not posted the early small pics of Saracens at Palace Barracks; I have put them somewhere safe and can't find them!

Now some more from Palace Barracks. Our Bedford RLs were fitted with unusual canvas tilts. These were apple green (reputedly fireproof), had plastic windows in front and sides, and were raised in the centre so that burning liquid would run off (not sure if anyone proved this worked!). The floor was lined with sandbags.

bedford-01_zps9hwz94rp.jpg

bedford-03_zpskvnqpkdw.jpg

bedford-03_zpsfniaepzi.jpg

More Bedford to come, and Landrovers.

Chris

Edited by chrisgrove

Hi guys

I think I'm getting old and forgetting things, so here are my remaning pics of Saracens. Black and White are from Palace barracks; colour are from Fort Monagh in Andersonstown a couple of years later.

saracen-04_zpsyotx2wgv.jpg

saracen-041_zps32xar77n.jpg

saracen-03_zpsqbs7nmmq.jpg

saracen-06_zpsmdwlixcu.jpg

saracen-08_zpsku1b2sas.jpg

saracen-07_zpsfhfs2oag.jpg

Landrovers start soon!

Chris

Did you get any pics of the Bedfords with the fiberglass armour kits fritted? Those had a similar peaked roof rear and had plexi windows in the sides. It looked like a garden shed was sat in the back. The cabs were also armoured in the same fashion with a single piece moulding covering the front from the windshield down and seperate door and roof mouldings.

Rob D.

Did you get any pics of the Bedfords with the fiberglass armour kits fritted? Those had a similar peaked roof rear and had plexi windows in the sides. It looked like a garden shed was sat in the back. The cabs were also armoured in the same fashion with a single piece moulding covering the front from the windshield down and seperate door and roof mouldings.

Rob D.

I remember fitting these kits to Bedford RS tippers for a unit about to go to NI. Made a change from fitting to Bedford MK and Land Rovers.

Hi guys

Here I go again. Some Bedfords and probably a few Landrovers - more to come. Just ignore the thread title as these are not Pigs and in Londonderry (just post Motorman) and not Belfast!

First Bedfords (RL) have cab armour and tank armour but not loadbed armour.

bedford-04_zpsthb1fvap.jpg

bedford-05_zpskv4vmeew.jpg

Next two are MKs with complete armour.

bedford-06_zpsxpkdmwtp.jpg

bedford-07_zps6xjjodtn.jpg

Finally a lightweight with VPK to whet your appetites for Landies.

landrover-05_zpsrqplahgd.jpg

Chris

As always Chris some super stuff there with much detail.

That VPK LtWt, what year was that, can you recall? Do you think it is possible that it was gloss deep bronze green + the black?

It was just after Motorman. Frankly I cannot remember what year that was - I'm sure you can find out quicker than I can. I don't remember any of our vehicles being in DBG, certainly not the ones with VPK as they all had to be painted after the VPK was fitted (unless of course the stuff had been taken off another vehicle). I think it is just a dark photo.

Chris

there were lots of strange things going on in the early 70s with Army paint schemes in all theatres.

Chris they are super gems there. As above I wonder if the second from last picture is showing the VPK LtWt in a sort of angular Picaso camo is in fact an example of "Distinctive" as opposed to "Disruptive" camo?? It looks deliberate rather than a few different panels from different VPK sets?

Chris they are super gems there. As above I wonder if the second from last picture is showing the VPK LtWt in a sort of angular Picaso camo is in fact an example of "Distinctive" as opposed to "Disruptive" camo?? It looks deliberate rather than a few different panels from different VPK sets?

As supposed above, that Picasso style Landrover 'in the background' looks to me like an 88 - Mk 8 perhaps - rather than a LtWt. I can't explain the pattern; it rather looks to me like the driver was given a pot of black paint and told to paint a camo pattern on it. More interesting than the normal, but none of those black and green camo patterns were of much use in an urban environment.

Chris