NOW RECOVERED. GMC Bolster Truck from W&P

mick.wilson

Question - That phone call out-of-the-blue. How did they get your phone number?

Nobody knows, they phoned the owner and I had not put that info out on the net.

Its a strange one that’s for sure, the owner is so happy to have it back as he thought it had gone abroad.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nobody knows, they phoned the owner and I had not put that info out on the net.

Its a strange one that’s for sure, the owner is so happy to have it back as he thought it had gone abroad.

OK, that means it's someone who knows you and therefore someone in our hobby. Very worrying, and it means they are probably reading this.

Great news to hear the truck is back safe, you say he drove it home, was it out of fuel? If not it is strange for it to be dumped for no reason. On the subject of security could a pedal box as used on defenders be made up? also the fitting of a removable key master-switch, all little things that a determined thief will overcome, but things that would slow them down enough for someone owner or not to "re-educate" said individual on the best use for the tools on the pioneer rack:cool2:

Who ever made the call, all of sudden someone was dumped with a piece of very hot property, with a lot of knowledgable people looking for it. Time to be somewhere else! The power of the internet and the genral good will of 'The Hobby' in general. Just remeber to keep the eyes open for the rest of the kit.

If the call was made to a mobile there is a good chance it would be traceable.

I used to work for Vodafone. If the call was from or to a Mobile, it WILL be traceable by the Police. All the Mobile operators have a section dealing with the Police/Government and they can trace ANY call made on a Mobile and even find out in which cell the call was made from. All depends if they bother or not.....

I am so relieved to hear that this truck has been recovered without damage, by far the best news of the week!

There are some interesting aspects of this case which I am sure will be discussed and pursued further. One question in my mind is why did the thief phone the owner to tell him where the truck could be found (I assume it was the thief or someone involved with the theft, since otherwise there would be no reason to be anonymous)? If, as I am sure happened, the truck became so "hot" that he/she/they thought they would no longer get away with the theft, then why not simply park it up somewhere and either set it on fire (thank goodness they didn't do that) or simply leave it - it would inevitably have been noticed and found in due course? It makes me think that by in effect "returning" it undamaged, the thief hopes that no further action will be taken.

I am absolutely certain that by looking for forensic evidence on the vehicle, evidence from the journey (camera evidence etc, since the start and finish locations are now known), and evidence from the phone call (which whether to/from a mobile or fixed number can be traced) the people who took this can be identified, provided of course that the Police actually can be persuaded to investigate now the truck is back wit its owner.

I also wonder whether just possibly the other things stolen were taken by someone else. We seem to have assumed that only one set of criminals is involved.

I am absolutely certain that by looking for forensic evidence on the vehicle, evidence from the journey (camera evidence etc, since the start and finish locations are now known)

If it was driven (or trailored) on the M25 they must have some video on it.

Pretty sure the police would not be interested now thats its recovered, but surely they are interested in what is still missing, and that video would lead them to that?

Agree with others...really glad its back with its rightful owner...I did not think it would end this way....shows the power of the internet!!!

I am so relieved to hear that this truck has been recovered without damage, by far the best news of the week!

There are some interesting aspects of this case which I am sure will be discussed and pursued further. One question in my mind is why did the thief phone the owner to tell him where the truck could be found (I assume it was the thief or someone involved with the theft, since otherwise there would be no reason to be anonymous)? If, as I am sure happened, the truck became so "hot" that he/she/they thought they would no longer get away with the theft, then why not simply park it up somewhere and either set it on fire (thank goodness they didn't do that) or simply leave it - it would inevitably have been noticed and found in due course? It makes me think that by in effect "returning" it undamaged, the thief hopes that no further action will be taken.

I am absolutely certain that by looking for forensic evidence on the vehicle, evidence from the journey (camera evidence etc, since the start and finish locations are now known), and evidence from the phone call (which whether to/from a mobile or fixed number can be traced) the people who took this can be identified, provided of course that the Police actually can be persuaded to investigate now the truck is back wit its owner.

I also wonder whether just possibly the other things stolen were taken by someone else. We seem to have assumed that only one set of criminals is involved.

Um, fiesable that theft charge could be avoded , the intent to 'Permenantly Deprive' has to be proven. That's why the offence of Taking Without Owner's Consent ' came in.

Great News, thank goodness it wasn't torched, which makes me think it the thief realised that he would soon be caught with all the publicity it has had on the forums. On a lighter note ... an appropriately named place to find it

Richard

This is only a rough guess but this is percentage of of reasons vehicles eg tractors plant commercial vehicles reported stolen where recovered by our company on request of police

Stolen and used in further crime eg nicking unit to steal trailor of docks or ramming gates etc 1%

joy riding 2%

excuse for having accident and abandoning vehicle 4%

Insurance fraud (eg claiming on insurance for some thing to raise money)10%

cashed for scrap value remainder

All has been said and done and since the truck has been recovered the rest is speculation, which is better suited for a night in the pub then a forum on which it can be read for years to come.

Closed! :police: