Knettishall Convoy and Memorial Dedication - Saturday July 14th

The convoy stopped for a short break on one of the old runways until closer to the time of the dedication. It then set off once again to the memorial near by. The memorial has recently been extended with the names of those lost flying from Knettishall. I don't think my words would adequately describe the ceremony; you had to be there. After the ceremony, it returned to the airfield to wait for the flying display by B-17 'Sally B'.

knettishall13.jpg

knettishall14.jpg

knettishall15.jpg

knettishall16.jpg

Mid afternoon, the convoy set off once again for the site of the Redgrave Hospital. During WW2, Redgrave was a pioneering hospital with a 99.6% survival rate. On the other side of the lake was a POW camp. After leaving this location, the convoy headed back to Eye where several participants were staying. We left the convoy as it neared its destination to return to our holiday cottage.

knettishall53.jpg

knettishall54.jpg

knettishall55.jpg

We didn't attend the dance at Hardwick, as we had to get little legs to bed, and pack our luggage so we could return the holiday cottage keys first thing in the morning. Because Hardwick was so waterlogged ( under water ), the fly-in was unlikely to happen, so the trip there the following day was cancelled. A couple of alternative ideas were discussed.

Great pictures Steve - thanks for posting them up. The problem when you are organising things is that you never have time to smell the roses and take it all in. Re-living the event via your pictures is excellent and I have seen many things that I missed on the day!

There is some really nice pictures there well done. Just wondered if anyone has got some video footage of the convoy, I would love to see the vehicles in action. Really wanting to see my tractor and trailer on the move. Cheers Howard.

Hi Steve thanks for that, I will keep a look out, I will have a word with clive at some point, and see if he can post a clip here.I was hoping to have taken a few clips myself but as I was driving and had no passenger, I was unable to do it.

Cheers Howard