Hi from New Zealand

My name is Garry O'Connor, and I am from Christchurch New Zealand. I have recently purchased an RL Bedford ex New Zealand Army until 1984. A very original example with 44000 miles on the clock. Will try and get a picture up. Also own a 1951 OLB which is probably not appropriate for this website, but there we are. Have read a few posts, and found them very interesting. Will look forward to reading more.

Yes,this truck was a trademe purchase.Had it for a couple of months now.I plan to recomply and COF it before christmas as the rego has lasped.Not a lot to do so should be fairly straightforward.The truck was shed stored for at least the last 8 yrs.Cheers,Garry.

Good work Garry. Will be good to have another one on the road again..

Sadly they are not all that econimical to run. We hope to have a GS bodied RL and an orig Workshop bodied RL at the next Classic Fighters in Blenheim. (Easter 2013) Would be good to have you along if you are able and have an RL trio next to our 70's display. Planning to have a couple of NZ Army Landrovers, Motorbike and other era display pieces.

• 2 months later...

Progress has been made on the RL.It has been recertified,new COF (certificate of fitness),registered for the road and RUC (road user charges) for 1000 K's.Had to spend a small fortune on the brakes,all cylinders overhalled with stainless sleaves,new shoes on the front and air servo recon.I repaired 3 small areas of rust in the cab and that was pretty much it.Rego cheaper as it's a classic vehicle (over 40 yrs old).So now I look forward to driving legally on the road, although it won't be a daily event due to the seriously thirsty nature of the beast! Regards Garry.

This is the best I can do for a pic at the moment and yes these are certainly not fuel efficient.Garry.[ATTACH=CONFIG]63843[/ATTACH]

Nice truck! The South African Defense Force also used to have them and were eventually phased out in favour of locally maufactured Maguris Deutz troop and load carrier versions. The Bedfords were fondly called "Vasbyters" by the troops, an afrikaans word referring to the truck's endurance and tenacity.