1985 Trials PLCE Belt Question

Enfield1940

I'm slightly puzzled about the stitched on cloth strips with 'C' hooks on the back of the above. In the Howlett book on modern webbing, it states that they connect to the e-tool case and allow more space for pouches on the belt. How does that work exactly? I have a trials e-tool case pouch, but that just loops over the belt.

Thanks,

Mark

• 1 month later...

Well I may have figured out the mystery of attaching the entrenching tool case pouch. There's just enough room between the 'C' hooks of the yoke to suspend it over the belt by using the 'dropped' pouch height option.

Trials PLCE set - rear.jpg

I still can't figure out how you would attach an entrenching tool case to the cloth strips with 'C' hooks on the belt, although I can see how you'd put a utility pouch on them.

PS. Many thanks to HeathJr (of this parish) for supplying the yoke. Nice doing business with you:)

Trials PLCE set - front.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

There are THREE things that have upset me over this thread:

1. What I thought - for years - were 2x Utility Pouches on the set are actually a Utility Pouch and a Waterbottle Pouch. I need to check exactly what I have and hope that I've not got rid of the wrong "duplicate" pouches.
  2. There is another E-Tool Pouch to get (the one without the belt loops). A trials trials bit of kit!
  3. All these years of anticipation over the flappy C Hook thing on the belt and it's an anticlimax. Worse, I should have worked it out for myself.

I am most displeased with myself. (and the plain E Tool Pouch) :banghead:

But I am MOST grateful for the explanation, :thanx:

The utility and water bottle pouches are almost identical except that the utility has an additional semicircular flap at the top to which the yoke connection loops are stitched.

Contact the eBay seller 'field-craft' as both of the above e-tool pouches came from him and apparently he has a large quantity of them.

• 3 years later...

Four years later... I have finally tracked down an example of the highly elusive right hand utility pouch. If you collect 1985 trials PLCE, you've probably noticed that most of them are left hand ones.

After some pondering, I have come up with a theory to explain this: Presumably the standard layout was two magazine pouches at the front and one utility pouch left rear and one water bottle pouch right rear. However, you might have a need to have a more versatile utility pouch at the front (and perhaps fewer magazines), so move the utility pouch to the front and - as it is worn on the left- equip it with left hand yoke attachment loops. Presumably there were rarer occasions where you might need two utility pouches at the front, so you would need one with right hand yoke attachment loops. There was less need for these = fewer were made. Water bottle pouches were never worn at the front, so they don't need yoke attachment loops.

Hopefully the above ramblings make some sort of sense... I note the later 1990 PLCE utility pouches also had yoke attachment loops, but they weren't 'handed'.

1985 Trials PLCE Utility Pouch - Right Hand (1).JPG

1985 Trials PLCE Utility Pouch - Right Hand (4).JPG

1985 Trials PLCE Utility Pouch - Right Hand (3).JPG

1985 Trials PLCE Utility Pouch - Right Hand (2).JPG

Interesting. I didn’t realise there were variations of the ammo pouches. I think all the ones that have passed through my hands have had the ‘uncornered’ flaps.

Perhaps the ones with corners are a later variation as they are closer to the 1990 issue ones?

PS. Since taking the pics above in 2014 I have improved the set with a correct water bottle pouch. That just leaves the respirator haversack and the bergan.

These two pouches came to me as a pair on an otherwise standard 90 pattern set. The LH pouch differs from 90 patt in having a gate buckle in place of the front D ring and is presumably a trials piece. The RH pouch has square flap corners as above.

(While I'm here,  if anyone has a spare trials utility pouch in very good condition....LH or RH, I don't care!)

IMG_6502.JPG

IMG_6503.JPG

IMG_6504.JPG

IMG_6505.JPG

Edited by Edward53

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/29/2018 at 8:25 PM, Enfield1940 said:

Interesting. I didn’t realise there were variations of the ammo pouches. I think all the ones that have passed through my hands have had the ‘uncornered’ flaps.

Perhaps the ones with corners are a later variation as they are closer to the 1990 issue ones?

PS. Since taking the pics above in 2014 I have improved the set with a correct water bottle pouch. That just leaves the respirator haversack and the bergan.

I have a couple of Bergens so one could possibly go. Would come with the correct upside down side pouches but as with 99.9% of the ones you see,the pop studded waist belt is missing.

• 10 months later...

I do seem to remember that a utility pouch, I never got issued PLCE but i remember it was talked about, the right "utility ammo  pouch" was an option (i think, this is going back some years) it was for CO's or mechanics, basically so they could carry some different issue kit or tools, more suited to their role. it would also allow a different way to carrying of smoke, flares.