A&E - we are ready! Are you?

So – we are ready.

Not too sure where the last two years have gone but certainly the last 6 months have been a blur.

With about 1000 hurdles and issues to get over – everything is now finally in place. It has been one hell of a journey.

So what is A&E all about? Three things really:

To bring our hobby and history to the public in a high impact way

For us to have fun and enjoy our vehicles in a unique way

And more importantly to make sure that our veterans know that when they pass over their sacrifices will never be forgotten – it is the least we can do.

It has been a tough project to put together on this scale. Putting armour on the road is very difficult and completed and a shed load of paper work, meetings and personal guarantees and reputations at stake. I have had a massive amount of support and help from key authorities – Dorset County Council, District Council, Police, Weymouth Council and the Highways Department and Dorchester Town – Chamber of Commerce and Dorchester BID (Business improvement District). Our media partners – The Echo and WessexFM – they too have gone above and beyond to help me get out of a difficult situation and of course Maiden Newton at War. A big thanks goes to the Tank Museum and Murray Walker – these guys too gave me support just when I needed it.

BUT - there are a key group of people who really have gone above and beyond – and that is every single person who is attending. From a Dragon Wagon to a tank to a bike, everyone has stepped up These guys are the cream of the crop. Why? Because at great expense and stress to themselves they have committed to the event and want to be part of it. Total respect and gratitude to you all. Not everyone who has booked in can make it for loads of understandable reason, transport problems, deaths, births and marriages. Busy hanging onto their jobs and running their businesses – but this is always the case because that’s life. Many may remember Dr Slow – Mark the Sherman owner. He has had a horrific skiing accident and broke pretty much every bone in his body. I told him to stop being such a girl....

Again – hats off to everyone who is attending, fuel isn’t cheap, time off work isn’t cheap but you couldn’t ask for a better representation or ambassadors of our hobby and guardians of our history.

Sadly as with every positive there is the opposite – a negative and I have had my fair share of those. Nothing that could have got in my way but enough to make me wonder why anyone would ever want to undermine their own hobby. I have kept all emails and may even post them here post event. I can’t stand rumours. Potentially we could have a tank event here in our own country but idiots like this don’t want to see that happen. It is natural for people to try and undermine people who put their heads above the parapet and take risks, who have a ‘can do’ attitude to try and shoot them down. It’s part of life and you get used to it. It isn’t the first time in my life this has happened and won’t be the last. But it p*sses me off. If people do not want to attend and have this sort of attitude then they are not welcome.

Moving on. We have an amazing three days ahead of us and please see below for the program:

Friday

- Education Day. This has been organised with the local schools so that they can come and see us in Dorchester. We will have a select number of very rare WWII vehicles whereby pupils will be able about them from the vehicle owners and crews. We will also have living history guys who will be dressed in full historical kit, again so that the local school children can look and learn about the soldiers who came through the town on their way to Normandy. Event time–11:00–14:00.

Saturday

– is ARMOUR day.

This is the big day as this is real time travel. We are recreating a scene that actually happened in Dorchester on the build up to D-Day. Dorchester was full of armour and associated support vehicles. Every road, drive, playing field was full of tanks and armour. The noise that we will make going through Dorchester will be the same as it was 68 years ago. In fact there is a building that had a chunk taken out of it by a Sherman tank and it was never repaired – I wonder…

A 20 -22 mile round trip.

Again we plan to drive down from the camp with the tanks and armour and soft skins to assemble in the village. The press and the public will know in advance our leaving time and we expect the village to be lined with people waving us off.

The Saturday time table is as follows:

Drive down into Maiden Newton as 09:30 and line up in the street as we are ‘opening’ Maiden Newton at War weekend. We leave at 10:30 and head for Martinstown for a pub stop at around midday.

We then leave at 13:00 for Dorchester to drive through the town to be parked up in town for 14:00 for the public to come and see us and for us to visit Dorchester town if you so wish.

16:00 there will be a wreath laying ceremony at the Cenotaph at the bottom of South Street.

17:00 we leave to head back to Maiden Newton – we will drive another circuit of the town.

We will then travel along the main roads to get back to Maiden Newtown for 18:00

Sunday

- Veteran’s Day parade Weymouth. The convoy will go straight down to Weymouth for 09:00 to join the Weymouth Veterans Parade. We are taking up to 25 selected vehicles and once the parade has finished we are waiting for the public to clear and we will be returning to Maiden Newton which will be around 13:30. 30,000 people attend this event. This is all about time travel and commemoration.

Veterans have made and continue to make a major contribution to our Nation and the Weymouth & Portland Armed Forces Day Celebrations will provide a focus on the tireless work carried out by Veteran Associations, individuals and today’s Military Forces. With a host of displays and information available during the week, veterans will be able to discover and receive support available from the various agencies and charity organisations; whilst visitors to the event will be able to appreciate the important role played.

With many uniquely nostalgic, social and commemorative experiences together with attractions, Weymouth and Portland is the ideal location for one of Britain’s largest Veteran’s Festival.

Some do’s and don’ts

Please bring a bin liner or two and please take your litter home with you. My fault last time as I didn’t think of this but it took me two days to clear the site of rubbish.

Bring your own cutlery

Loo’s are sorted but we will have no showers as I can’t afford them

We had such a great time at A&E 2010 and that’s was down to the fact that everyone just pulled together and nailed it. I expect the same to happen again. Here’s the thing and I would like everyone to do this please – if you see a strange face then please just go over and say hi and introduce yourselves. This is important for many reasons – you will make many friends over the weekend that could last forever. It increases your enjoyment of the whole weekend and it’s just how I like to run things. YES – even Degsy is approachable. If nothing else –please introduce yourself to Chef Ives – OK he isn’t as handsome as myself but he is feeding us all weekend so best to suck up to him.........

Weather – not too sure what is going to happen there but bring appropriate clothing.

Drivers briefing at 20:00 on Friday – some details I have to go through with you all. I will also be sending this out in email along with directions.

I have done everything I can now and I hope we have provided an amazing weekend for you and look forward to seeing all my friends.

Best wishes,

Jack.

Edited by Jack

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So – we are ready.

Not too sure where the last two years have gone but certainly the last 6 months have been a blur.

First and foremost Jack, this wouldn't have been possible had it not been down to YOU and ALL YOUR GOD DAMN HARD WORK. I don't know half the stress you have had to go through to get this up and running again but can only imagine it. Yes of course it wouldn't work without us all taking part, either as a driver, re-enactor or passenger but you have been the driving force behind it all, getting everyone together and sorting out the routes and the roads and the officials necassary. So hold up your right hand, turn your palm towards yourself, reach down your back and slap it hard, cos you derserve it JB. Big respect to you. Love you! xxxxxxx

Next thing, am I ready? OMG YES!!! Have been for about 2 years!!!!!! So many sights and sounds from 2010 still make me laugh and smile and bring a lump to my throat to.

As for those who seem to want to put a dampner on things? They have successful show envy Jack, ignore them, I do!!! :D

Weather, who cares? We will be having too much fun to worry about the weather!!!!!!

uni tonight, meeting at eldest school tomorrow night, the cubed off to another meeting on Wednesday night, work during the day, when shall I pack???????? :wow:

Cant wait to get down there Friday evening, have a glass of charddy waiting for me hun!

See you all Friday

:kiss::kiss::kiss::kiss::kiss::kiss::kiss::kiss::kiss::kiss::kiss::kiss::kiss::kiss::kiss::kiss::kiss:

Edited by Joris

I don't know half the stress you have had to go through to get this up and running again but can only imagine it.

I do!! Had to listen to him complain every day! :iamsmiling:

Yup, we're ready; new (bigger) tent, extra nappies bought, tyres pumped up on the Triumph ready for outrider duties!

As per Rosie's comments, top job Jack; I know we all take the p***, but this is all thanks to you :)

Jack - about the showers. I've had a look on www.bbc.co.uk/weather, they're always advertising showers on their forecasts, but for the life of me I can't see any BUY NOW button to click on :???

:nut:

As for those who seem to want to put a dampner on things? They have successful show envy Jack, ignore them, I do!!! :D

Weather, who cares? We will be having too much fun to worry about the weather!!!!!!

Well said Rosie, no ifs or buts, it's going to be a monumental event, just like last time there's no problem that can't be beat, wet or dry, once we're rolling we just won't care! :-D

Look forward to it Jack, hope it all comes together for you, which i am sure it will!!!

'Fuel is not cheap' - Thats why i have converted myself to run on beer!

See you on friday.

Regards Jon

See you on Friday Jon!!!

Am I ready? Nah, I haven't touched the jeep since coming back from Normandy. I still haven't decided if I'll stay in a good weatherproof 'Go Outdoors' tent or a proper WWII pup tent but rain or shine, I'll be there.

well the cookhouse is all ready and rearing to go truck is as ready as it will ever be

menu sorted and main food ordered i think and i can always orgasnise a tin to make a shower area if necessary

just rember everyone you need you own plates cups and knife fork and spoon or eating througth your fingers:mad:

First and foremost Jack, this wouldn't have been possible had it not been down to YOU and ALL YOUR GOD DAMN HARD WORK. So hold up your right hand, turn your palm towards yourself, reach down :wow::wow::wow::nono::nono::stop:

Oooops it's ok, sorry Rosie I just read a bit more of the sentence, panic over.:blush:

Yes Jack, you definitely need to give yourself a pat on the back.

Jack

Hope all goes well.

Have you a route map for the drives?

Would love to come and watch a few tanks rumble down a few lanes.

As you would not let me come and join in, despite painting a giant white star on the bonnet of my Land Rover.>:(

They had them in 633 Squadron and Ice Cold in Alex so they must have been at Normandy. (only joking):D

I might just have to partake of my other expensive hobby - photography.

Mike

Jack

Hope all goes well.

Have you a route map for the drives?

Would love to come and watch a few tanks rumble down a few lanes.

As you would not let me come and join in, despite painting a giant white star on the bonnet of my Land Rover.>:(

They had them in 633 Squadron and Ice Cold in Alex so they must have been at Normandy. (only joking):D

I might just have to partake of my other expensive hobby - photography.

Mike

Good man Mike!

You are more than welcome to come and join us Friday if you are free and come and watch the build up - that's always fun.

Viewing points are here - google the place names so you know where they are :)http://www.armourandembarkation.com/public-viewing-points/

"are we ready" erm no actually the carrier has a few issues like it doesn't run, there's no cooling or charging, the brakes and steering have packed up, the engine armour needs fabricating and fitting and i need a steering wheel but apart from that we're good to go :)

see you friday but i've a feeling it will be late when we arrive !

rick

"are we ready" erm no actually the carrier has a few issues like it doesn't run, there's no cooling or charging, the brakes and steering have packed up, the engine armour needs fabricating and fitting and i need a steering wheel but apart from that we're good to go :)

see you friday but i've a feeling it will be late when we arrive !

rick

Great stuff Rick - you Carrier guys are up at the front with the Dingos. UP the BRITS!!!!

Hi All

Fil and I are really looking forward to the weekend and seeing everyone again. Our boat doesn't actually get into Poole until 00.45 on Friday so we we be at the camp after 1 am and will need to set up tents!!!! So apologies now if we wake anyone but we will try our best not too!!!! On the other hand if there is still partying going on expect gate crashers!!!!! I will ask Nigel to save us a bit of space next to him to make it easier. It was either this late boat or not at all and failure to attend was not an option!!!!!!

Regards

Daren

Good man Mike!

You are more than welcome to come and join us Friday if you are free and come and watch the build up - that's always fun.

Viewing points are here - google the place names so you know where they are :)http://www.armourandembarkation.com/public-viewing-points/

Jack

Was hoping to find a spot along the route with good views (Google street view has some uses).

Just working on her who must be obeyed to let me have another day off.

Mike