Bentwaters Cold War Museum open day 2012

Not much left of base, yanks pulled out when i was a boy! Runway is popular with track days etc. Topgear/bickers action use it a lot for large stunts. Woodbridge base now has Eng parras based there, they do open days every other year or so. Have all the new gear out on display, as well as there old stuff. Open to publc display too.

Group of use were going to go up as were really local, but time, fathers day and fuel didnt happen. Would of been good to get some more cold war vehicles up there.

There are lots of hangers and building on the other side of the airfield which cannot be seen. Did they have tours around the airfield this year? If you become a member of the society you get a tour where you stop off at various places. We went on top of the control tower and up a guard tower on the far side along with getting a look in several buildings. Will post some photos if people are interested in seeing what is left.

There are lots of hangers and building on the other side of the airfield which cannot be seen. Did they have tours around the airfield this year? If you become a member of the society you get a tour where you stop off at various places. We went on top of the control tower and up a guard tower on the far side along with getting a look in several buildings. Will post some photos if people are interested in seeing what is left.

Would be great to see your pics !

Would be great to see your pics !

I have several hundred so i will pick the best ones out tomorrow

There were a few vehicles lying around there aswel.

I believe a lot of the MVs that were on display are owned by a collector who stores them in one of the hangers

AndyM

I didn't see a registration - I don't remember looking behind the Abbot though

LordBurley

I remember the old open days when the USAF were there - I used to help operate the ipswich radio club station - I didn't spend a lot of time there on Sunday so can't comment on what remains beyond the museum area. There were bus tours but I didn't have time to take one this time

Iain

The airfield is actually mostly still there and untouched.

I highly recommend the tours, especially the private tour you get as a member. Membership is only cheap i think and you get a lot in return!

Here is some photos from the "private" tour

DSCI0798.jpg

DSCI0799.jpg

DSCI0816.jpg

DSCI0817.jpg

DSCI0835.jpg

DSCI0838.jpg

DSCI0840.jpg

DSCI0841.jpg

DSCI0847.jpg

DSCI0849.jpg

DSCI0857.jpg

DSCI0865.jpg

DSCI0874.jpg

DSCI0881.jpg

DSCI0887.jpg

The Artwork in this building was done by pilots etc and is still preserved. Not sure if the building was being demolished though

DSCI0894.jpg

DSCI0895.jpg

DSCI0896.jpg

DSCI0909.jpg

DSCI0929.jpg

And some more:

I believe the planes are for sale, something like £10,000 each

DSCI0946.jpg

DSCI0960.jpg

DSCI0245.jpg

Fuel Store

DSCI0977.jpg

DSCI0980.jpg

DSCI0986.jpg

DSCI0243.jpg

DSCI0252.jpg

DSCI0256.jpg

DSCI0267.jpg

DSCI0273.jpg

DSCI0281.jpg

DSCI0282.jpg

DSCI0289.jpg

DSCI0294.jpg

DSCI0298.jpg

DSCI0303.jpg

DSCI0334.jpg

I believe this was used for jet engine testing

DSCI0347.jpg

These canons are stored here by the National Heritage or some historic organisation, not sure why they are here though

DSCI0322.jpg

Brilliant Pics Martyn, many thanks for sharing ! brought a lot of old memories back Mate, many thanks:-) The Jags are on at different prices £10k upwards you can see them on the Everatt website