USAAF Festival - Base Camp (finally) Confirmed !

M5Clive

After much delay and delayed communications between various parties, I am delighted to be able to confirm that we have finally secured the Cornwallis Country Hotel in Brome, Suffolk for our base camp for this years convoy event!

http://www.oxfordhotelsandinns.com/OurHotels/Cornwallis

Rectory Road, Brome, Eye, Suffolk.IP23 8AJ

Tel: 08444 146524

Personally, I am absolutely thrilled about this because not only is it a mere 500 yards away from my own house, making logistics much easier for me; but the grounds where we are camping, the overall 'period' setting and the facilities that this venue affords us will suit our purposes ideally.

In July 2008 we hired this venue for our wedding and had half a dozen WWII MV's within the grounds and a 20 minute flying display overhead - And it was the successful bridges that we built at this time which has paved the way for being able to use the venue again on a much large scale for a Military Vehicle Base Camp for this years USAAF Festival.

The Festival will run from Sunday 8th to Sunday 15th July inclusive with the option to camp for the entire duration (or any given time in-between). Evening activities/guest speakers are being confirmed for Monday thru Friday and the full itinerary will shortly be announced.

Dance tickets for Saturday 14th 'Little Friends' Hangar Bash are selling well and I think pending the weather, the week-long event will be something truly unique for all participants to enjoy.

Keep checking back for updates!

DSC_0776.jpg

The Cornwallis (formerly the Oaksmere) won't have seen anything like this in 70 years!

DSC_0768-1.jpg

Heavy Goods on the Greens

IMGP3205.jpg

Hello Campers - Hi-de-Hi !

PS - Anyone thinking of pushing the boat out and getting a room, speak to me first as we may be eligible for a preferential rate. Some of the evening events will take place within the conference facilities of the Cornwallis and I can entirely recommend the food:)

Edited by M5Clive

From what the staff tell me, their are now only a couple of rooms left available on the Saturday 14th evening.

Friday evening will see a USAAF themed presentation held in the Oaksmere Suit at the Cornwallis, kicking-off at 19.30.

All are welcome to attend and its looking like a heavy convoy departure at 09.00 the following morning (Saturday) to head west.

Hi Clive So far i have the weekend off so am looking at arriving at the hotel Saturday morning for departure then off to snap along the route !? hopefully i shall be with you all the way to Hardwick where im looking at camping and doing the Hanger Dance to !

As in your post your expecting a large turn out i think, any idea of the amount of vehicles you are expecting and type please so i can do a bit of research ? as to what im looking at as i usually do aviation and am not to hot on vehicles

Chris