Mechanical Mule

Dave C

The Faun Kraka and The Mechanical Mule are very interesting machines and somewhat similar products from essentially the same criteria but from different time periods from different countries.

The Mechanical mule is one of the very few pieces of US origin kit that I have any time for.

They are getting pricey now, over here the rough ones change hands for at least $3,000 plus and that usually has some parts missing. A fully complete pukka item goes for more.

They are an excellent vehicle if you want to go to big shows and carry them in the back of a bigger vehicle and use it as a show run about. Also if space and weight are a factor they are quite easy to store and trailer. Not road legal over here as they were not fitted with required lighting etc.

R

Edited by robin craig

There's a version of it that mounts a recoilless rifle on the load bed - a chap in the States was selling a restored example a while back.

There's a picture on here -

http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=135179

It makes a lot more sense now that I've seen the film. I hadn't realised that it could be driven from the ground.

Edited by Lauren Child

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Aha, thanks!

we just bought a mule and it has yellow markings that's why i ask.

it just made me wonder, because i've only seen white markings on vehicles thus far.

(apart from blue USAAF/USAF vehicles)

How come they changed? Any idea? They switched from white to yellow and then back to white again in a later era, right!?

I've also seen blue markings in the early years of ww2.

i was just surprised since yellow stands out more imo

US military vehicles had blue markings when they were built new up to late 1944/1945 when white paint was used, in service when vehicles were repainted markings were painted white, I wonder if yellow was used because possibly it did not show up on infra red night sights?

Edited by Nick Johns

Does anyone know if you can make the M274 Mule road legal in the UK? I'd love one of these for popping to the shops etc. I don't think I've ever seen one fitted with indicators and registration plate though, so do they not meet the necessary regulations?

They were never meant for on road use so would not meet regulations, possibly the only way to register one as an agrigultural machine as they have no suspension

• 1 month later...
Does anyone have the paint (both the green and yellow) colour codes for me?

we are restoring a mule and want to give it a new fresh look, but with the correct paints!

thnx in advance,

markwin

Look on the M274 Mule forum on G503.com or post on there, sure someone in the US will help

http://g503.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=79&sid=a9445902f177994e2e18871911da0578

Edited by Nick Johns

Does anyone have the paint (both the green and yellow) colour codes for me?

we are restoring a mule and want to give it a new fresh look, but with the correct paints!

thnx in advance,

markwin

The only branch to use the "insignia yellow" markings on their vehicles was the (US) Marine Corps during the 1950s/1960s. sometime in the 1970s the color switched to black. Like others have posted the mule forums over on g503.com will be of great help to you in this. If your going with the yellow markings I assume you are also going with a USMC paint scheme as well? They used a mauch darker shade of green then the Army. It was known as "Forest Green" and came in either semi-gloss of "lusterless" depending on application. Rapco parts out of Bowie Texas sells it. USMC semi-gloss forest green #24052 -or- USMC lusterless forest green #34052.

Matt