Bunker Bash 2012

mike65

Was a good day at the Bunker Bash today.

Despite being in the middle of the wettest drought since Noah built an ark I seem to have caught a bit of sunburn.

Thought I would post a few pictures.

Yes there was and unscheduled flypast by the BBMF Dakota

The potholes at the show are slightly smaller than those on the roads.

Mike

BBMF Dakota copy.jpg

DSC01128.jpg

DSC01130.jpg

DSC01131.jpg

DSC01159.jpg

DSC01162.jpg

Just a big thank you on behalf of EMLRA to Lee,Ian and all the other unseen people who make this show what it is,relaxed.friendly not overpriced concessions and a chance for a lot of us to kick the season off.:-D

Mick

Yes I agree with you Mick, well done to all who are no doubt doing the less fun stuff of clearing up after the show. Not been before & liked the EMLRA pitch.

I'm pleased that it was a reasonable distance from most of the fighting & explosions, which don't do a lot for me. But there was something for everyone.

The low point for me was finding I had flat tyre when I got there. There were two high points. Being driven as a passenger around in my old Pig and finding this on Sunday.

DSC02074.jpg

I have watched this Humber for 25 years or so through various low points in it's career and overwhelmed by the care & skill that Roger has applied to restoring this. He remanufactured the rear body. It was worth driving from Salisbury to see this & take 100+ pictures of it. For me it was best in show. Well done Roger.

well just back from a very tireing weekend as a staff member at the bunker bash and have a few thanks to make

ian and lee for organising the show and making it fun to do tireing event:yawn:

matt of cyprus mess for feeding me and the team

kim for doing most of the booking in which i hate

pete,jeff,the camolot boys who helped man the traffic control

and most of all the 390 recce squad girls who came down on saturday so i could have a short break and ending up not wanting to leave the bottom road for the rest of the day and carried on on the sunday as well

1 day i might even get to see a few more sections of the show than the hours break that i normally get

now off for a bath and bed :nut::nut::nut:

It's not often that you get to go for a wee with a U Boat commander, a GI, a WW2 squaddie, and with a Stormtrooper in the sit downs. Tell people that, and they won't belive you! :D

Many thanks to everyone who helped my dad in law out on Saturday afternoon (He's on the mend and putting his feet up for a couple of days.).

Cheers all, see you next time!

good day today,and we had the hurri bomber based at north weald but not quite over the show ground

Yes spotted that but was still a dot on the 300mm lens, A Jet Provost/Strikemaster also passed over much late.About 30 minutes or so before I went home. (only half a dozen or so cars left in the public parking by then)

Nice pictures Mike, always like to see some from shows that I can't get to.

Thanks seeing pictures from shows I was not at also something I enjoy.

Good pics, glad to see the weather held out. What was the little tracked tractor?

Thanks again, I also have no idea what the little tracked tractor was, hopefully some kind soul will come and tell us.

Mike

Still here at the Bunker, couple of traders & an exhibitor also still on site.

A BIG thank you to all our volunteers for all their hard work in helping to make the show run smoothly.

Thanks to all those that attened, MV owners & Living History Groups.

Can't wait to see all the photos, didn't get to see much of the show again :(

Full show report in a few days when we get home..

Russian Embassy team visits “Bunker Bash 2012” military show

http://www.rusemb.org.uk/activity/66

My throat has still not recovered from drinking Vodka with the Attaché to the Russian Ambassador, not something you usualy do at a Military show..

Not many will Know that the Bunker Bash has been featured in the Russian press, on BBC Russia & other Russian TV/Radio programs..

We may be having a Very Special visitor next year at the Bunker Bash :cool2:

It was another great show and I would say a big thank you to Ian, Lee and the teams on security, arena duties etc who made it such a success. Even the weather co-operated and we had two dry days.:D

I had great fun - first outing for the almost finished Landrover (still got that annoying violent shaking from the front even with the front prop off), getting "blown up" in the arena on Saturday and Sunday - did anyone notice the NVA star got blown off both times?? - and then providing first lessons in driving a tracked vehicle on Sunday after the show. I did warn them all that driving a boring car will never be the same again!!

Only incident in the entire show was on Sunday morning - went to start the OT and the valve on the compressed air bottle used to start her seemed to be frozen shut. When we tried to open it using pump pliers the wheel of the valve sheared off.. Oh sh*t!! Luckily there was enough residual air pressure left from the Saturday to get her running and last out the days events before going back to the store. Currently trying to source either a replacement valve or complete bottle assembly.

• 2 weeks later...

Report courtesy of Paul Costin GI 44-45 www.44-45.co.uk

Thanks Paul, looking forward to your 2013 display.

On 19th and 20th May 2012, GI44-45 had the chance to portray one of our favoured units, the 4th Infantry Division at the Not-so-secret Nuclear Bunker site at Kelvedon, Essex. Our intent was to represent a mortar squad of the 22nd Infantry Regiment of the 4th Infantry Division on the front line of the Hurtgen forest on North West Germany in November 1944.

A few months earlier we had prepared most of the site and ground work, which just left some work to be completed on the Friday, to try and recreate an early winter impression in May is no easy task and thanks to the artistic skills of Private Dan O’Dwyer, we managed to add the finishing touches of early morning frost to our display.

With the display sorted it was necessary to present ourselves as a unit that was on the front line of the “Death factory”, where survival rates were pretty low. No pristine uniforms for us; get down and dirty was our brief, in order to endeavour to create the correct impression. Mixed in with this were those fresh in from the Repple-Depple who were in for a learn fast or suffer the consequences experience.

The following photos tell the story…

A lull in the fighting, these GI’s take time out at Murphy’s Mansion, named after M.I.A Corporal Patrick “Murph” Murphy of Boston, to read a few issues of our group magazine “strictly GI44-45”

2750976350080671336S600x600Q85.jpg

Private Dan O’Dwyer contemplating his chances of survival on the front line..

2743904280080671336S600x600Q85.jpg

Private Tony “Merrell” Maddison of Nebraska, calls in to the rear echelon for news regarding his transfer to the Signal Corps..

2462998480080671336S600x600Q85.jpg

Sgt Ben Murphy, looks out beyond the line, as the squad puts out a few 60mm rounds..

2352171680080671336S600x600Q85.jpg

Not only was he a warm up act for Frank Sinatra just before he enlisted, but Dan O’Dwyer is a keen player of the Harmonica. Pvts Chris Major of Boston, and Tony “Merrell” Maddison, enjoy the sounds from stateside

2711441870080671336S600x600Q85.jpg

Life in a mortar pit, during a quiet moment..

2603217270080671336S600x600Q85.jpg

2712259650080671336S600x600Q85.jpg

2936551700080671336S600x600Q85.jpg

Sgt Ben Major and Pvt Tony “Merrell” Madison, get to meet Andy “Dixie” Dean, of Chattanooga, newly arrived from the Repple-Depple

2631992870080671336S600x600Q85.jpg

Time for some chow, even life on the front line has its highlights.

2281433370080671336S600x600Q85.jpg

2985300310080671336S600x600Q85.jpg

After chow, S/Sgt Costino gives the guys some good news; he’s been saving his last few smokes and it’s time to enjoy them!

2413699630080671336S600x600Q85.jpg

The “smokes” smoked, and the fun over, Corporal Sam “Tyler” Harris of Harrisburg, PA contemplates the reality of his chances of survival whilst being on a front line in Germany.

2268871050080671336S600x600Q85.jpg

Pvt Dan O’Dwyer offers him some words of wisdom.

2059154930080671336S600x600Q85.jpg

Some respite from seemingly being the only troops at the front comes in the form of the arrival of some armoured support..(Albeit from an earlier time period!)

2051364590080671336S600x600Q85.jpg

2125787110080671336S600x600Q85.jpg

With the arrival of fresh troops and support it gives time for the boys from GI44-45 to rest up again in “Murphy’s Mansion” as they wait for transport to the rear for R and R, and to recover from their time in the Death factory.

2750535810080671336S600x600Q85.jpg

2804029000080671336S600x600Q85.jpg

To see any more of the photos from this event “Tab” on any photo. “Bunkerbash” is one of my favourite events as it has the most accommodating of hosts. Thanks go, once again to Ian Bridge and Lee for helping us with our display.

Well done to the Pilgrim Bandits, LBdr Ben Parkinson & all those that donated to help them raise almost £1,000 during this years show

LBdr Ben Parkinson - the most seriously wounded British soldier to survive the war in Afghanistan, helping with fundraising at the Bunker Bash 2012.

Ben Parkinson.jpg

More quality Photos courtesy of Jerry Pearce, Fallschirmjager Regiment 6 (FJR6)

Some photos from Saturday's show.

More general photos at:

74.jpg

62-2.jpg

67.jpg

71.jpg

69.jpg

63-1.jpg

27-4.jpg

22-3.jpg

73-1.jpg

81.jpg