Daimler CB22 unearthed from under bungalow/shack

PITT24423

Small update,king pins reground and oversized top bushes made all fitted .Even though the Willis Knight engine is a stop gap its getting the treatment as will be used until the Daimler engine is ready.Dynamo refurbished by John as the shelac had started to crack and fall off plus the usual with the com ring being worn and the bearings shot apart from that all is well.Had a bit of luck in that a new old stock dynamo drive sprocket came up on Ebay which made another problem quick to resolve.Carb refurbished polished and lacquered, looks a bit shinny .In the process of making a new track rod as we didn't have one but we did have the remains of the ends which came to bits increadably easily .A few parts including an engine id plate were purchased from the Willis Overland Knight Owners club and were prompt in their arrival from the States which is great for something built in the 20's.The wheels are having a temporary coat of paint ( as applied by Skinny and Gadget see attached photo) and refitted to the lorry as we have been asked to take it down part done to the Dorset Steam Fair which was one of the best ever last year ,the mud was there last year to add to the atmosphere of the trenches.As i think i've said in earlier posts there's usually six of us on a wednesday night working on whatever the project happens to be. We have been doing for the last 10 yrs or more with us all being friends since school days so it makes the whole job very easy with a combined experience bank at hand.

P1020509.jpg

IMG_4091.jpg

IMG_4085.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Last week saw an extended weds night (every night) as we temporarily put the back axle together wheels on rad brackets and a few other bits for its first venture out of the workshop to go camping with Dans Halley in darkest Dorset.We came away today and the whole show was coming together at a rapid pace with so much interesting gear turning up by the lorry load.

IMG_4095.jpg

IMG_4116.jpg

IMG_4161.jpg

IMG_4165.jpg

• 10 months later...

Haven`t updated for a while.Changed the colour post Dorset as I realised I preferred the brown to the green . Since day one there has always been a gap in the back axle and I lived in hope but alas it wasn`t to be so new diff top casing was fabricated and machined by a friend who does this sort of work for his living as I was able to use the gears out of a CC axle I had as they are the same .Just getting ready for its appearance at GDSF wont be drivable till next year as work keeps getting in the way and have gear linkage and controls to make.

d pittock diff (2).jpg

P1120047.jpg

That's a lovely piece of work, but why a fabrication and not a casting?

Cost + we are a steel fabrication/ agricultural engineering business as our day job.Once its painted it will be our secret but with the new half shafts and bearings and building up the crown wheel it more than added up which would be a huge part of the decision making process if I was to do one again with the diff missing .

Had our second attempt at steaming wood !First attempt went well but as it dried on the jig over the following week it kept splitting and after regluing still split so put it down as practice and started again .We decided to steam twice as much as was required because what we worked out from the start was the grain has to be correct or it just snaps,anyway here`s some pictures of my son and I making the cab roof frame warts an all.The wheels came back with new rubber which we didn`t have a choice over as they had separated from the bands .The angles for the tilt I laser cut and fabricated as I don`t have a set of rolls for angle we also added an extra board down each side to support the tilt as on all the original photos the canvas is poorly supported and bellies in.

P7150225.jpg

P7150227.jpg

P7150232.jpg

P7150223.jpg

P7220256.jpg

P7220265.jpg

P7220269.jpg

P7220270.jpg

Turned out nice :-)

One option for tilt frame bends that I have seen used is to laminate lots of layers of thin ply on a former, that worked out well. You don't need that now, and that's great; I just thought I would record it here.

• 1 month later...

The lorry had a bit of a push as we had to get it back on its wheels for Dorset which required a few evenings to get it all on a roll again.Couple of friends pitched in Simon with his sign writing and Doug the sail maker for the tilt both of which i was really pleased with.Dorset was great as each year has the habit of improvement on the last which in my opinion is brought to life with the rein actors do their bit.P8210053.jpg

P8210050.jpg

P8190038.jpg

P8180031.jpg

P8180035.jpg

P8190039.jpg

P8180032.jpg

P8190041.jpg

P8230060.jpg

P8190047.jpg

P8230061.jpg

P8220054.jpg

P8220058.jpg

P8190044.jpg

P8210049.jpg

P8220057.jpg

Beautiful lorries and a superb restoration. Did they really dig a trench so the re-enactors would have a proper venue?

Rob

Trench system,tunnels bomb holes,dug outs, no mans land ,gun inplacements ,hessian road screen plus blown up buildings .Its all there.It was originally only for 2014 but has a stay of execution until 2018 but who knows as over the five days there was always a queue for the trench tour.

Trench system,tunnels bomb holes,dug outs, no mans land ,gun inplacements ,hessian road screen plus blown up buildings .Its all there.It was originally only for 2014 but has a stay of execution until 2018 but who knows as over the five days there was always a queue for the trench tour.

Superb. Hope it keeps on and can be maintained.

Rob

• 3 months later...

Brief update,finally got round to fitting the gearbox and filled it with Morris oil .(Team Gosling look away) We machined the input and output shafts and flanges to take modern twin lipped seals as the shafts were pitted and when i measured them up they all worked out to standard seals for the od and id dims after machining.We also did the the same to the diff input shaft after finding out from the other Daimler that if you went in reverse any distance the worm acts as a pump and forces the oil out past the felt seal.If you look closely at the last photo of the diff seal carrier you may spot the spacer ring we had to make as the casting was iregular and we had no option but to take it over size and make a sleeve.From the outside you would have to be pretty smart to spot the lack of felt seal .We have now turned our attention to pedal and gear linkage which is now slowly coming together.

PC030114.jpg

PC030116.jpg

PC030117.jpg

• 4 months later...

Haven't updated for a while so here goes.Fabricated a modern prop shaft to fit as the original flexi disc type coupling was working outside the 7deg angle spec so it will give peace of mind and reliabilty.Brakes all working now ,i was able to buy an original early BSA handbrake and gearstick which is about as close as i'm going to get to Daimler components as BSA owned Daimler.Tacked together the gear linkage to check i'd got it correct which i will tidy up when i take it to bits for final welding and painting.It went quite well considering it was a combination of information from the 3 ton variant the Daimler at Beamish and made to incorporate the BSA components .Even though we have had the engine running i wasn't happy with the variable oil pressure relief valve which wasn't quite doing what it should so whilst i was fiddling /adjusting the piston and spring dropped in the sump down the oil return gallery which turned into a blessing.After removing the sump and having a general look we spotted a split pin missing on one of the sleeve valve pins which meant we had to split the block away from the crankcase to get to fit the split pin. Must admit the sleeve valves are smooth in their operation and seemed simple until i went to double check the timing .Originaly we weren't going to do much to this engine as it is only a stop gap and appeared to be in good order.We will use it until we get the other engine done at a latter date.I had a dimension for the steering column and pedals from an original drawing we had but unfortunately i've had to change the angle of the steering column as i couldn't fit behind it comfortably and operate the pedals,so we will make this our secret.Also got round to making the top and bottom coolant pipes plus the over flow pipe.Fitted an inline thermostat which we will see how we get on ,if it proves to much of a restriction its easily removed and replaced with a longer hose.I think it will be fine as this engine originally had one as part of the top casting and wouldn't of been as efficient as a modern one.

P4300159.jpg

P4300160.jpg

P4300168.jpg

P4300167.jpg

P4300162.jpg

P4300166.jpg

P4300169.jpg

I've said it a lot in my visits here, but at the risk of belaboring the point, I will say it again: I am just in awe of you guys. All of you here that take something just two steps up from a pile of rust flakes and bring it back to glorious life... my admiration knows no bounds.

• 2 months later...

Almost feels like the Dorset Steam Fair seasonal push is with us again as we are trying to get as much done before "D" Day.Lance finished off the "NEW" half shafts for me which included the final trimming to length on my old "Doodle " bug lathe which came out of Peenemunde so a bit more history.The bonnet is nearly there ,I made it out of stainless as I had some stainless hinges and correct D section beading which was stainless so that was how it came about.We had to have a move about which required the Weds night crew nearly managing a photo call !

P7280114.jpg

P7280115.jpg

P7280112.jpg

P7290117.jpg

P8010123.jpg

P8010121.jpg

P7110198.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

We had a few weeks of midnight oil as John M had asked us earlier in the year if we were interested in helping form a period convoy to deliver the bells to Ypres .We were unsure right to the wire as we hadn't actually driven the lorry until the Tuesday morning when the low loader pulled up to take us to Dorset and we decided to use the play pen as our test track, hence the reason we went round so many times as we felt each lap was about a mile.No real problems apart from a fuel vaporising hick up in the heat of the day which was partly solved by adding 2 stroke oil at 100:1 which I also felt would help the sleeve valves .After GDSF the low loader dropped us off at Dover docks where we made our own way to Ypres using back roads and a copy of a 1916 map which proved challenging as the new roads and junctions wanted us to join the motorway which we needed to avoid due to our top speed.We did go through a speed trap and it proudly displayed 37kph which wasn't flat out but comfortable.We think we averaged about 8 miles /gallon.The route with the bells was interesting in that after the cemeteries we came back into Ypres to the Menin gate along the Menin Rd and Hell Fire Corner which is now a run of the mill round about and was once the most dangerous road on the Western front with nothing to say as much.

I'll add some more photos in the next day or so.

As this adventure I feel has brought to closure the rebuild of my Daimler which along with my friends would not of been possible to complete for the centenary .Theres a handful of small jobs still to do and a couple of mods which will make her more user friendly which we will do over the winter.Thanks to members of this forum who gave me information and leads for various items which are now in use on the lorry which helped give her a aged feel.

IMG_2793.jpg

IMG_2801.jpg

IMG_2810.jpg

IMG_2846.jpg

fullsizeoutput_1fb9.jpg

IMG_2994.jpg

IMG_2836.jpg

IMG_2873.jpg

IMG_2934.jpg

IMG_2935.jpg

IMG_2962.jpg

Tidy up the loose ends on the Daimler and its back onto the Traction engine for Dorset's 50th ,not sure if it will be finished but it will be in steam and drivable as I have to finish my wife's kitchen for "Christmas"as I only had a temporary stay of execution.

The next project after the Engine is the remains of the 3 ton 1913 Palladium which I bought a couple of years ago just incase anyone has the slightest bit of info I'd be greatful .

The one here, perchance (not that we dated it): http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?41221

That's the one I bought as nobody wanted it :wow: ,initially I bought it blind as I was going to rob the diff out of it for the Daimler and when we went to cut it up and saw it in the flesh I realised it was too special as it was mostly there apart from engine rad and steering box plus the diff was twice the size required.Gearbox and prop shaft all intact and all gears went in and out the brake rods moved and it rolled,what more could you ask.The initial idea is to paint it in civilian colours and have "on war service" across the bulk head as per one of the Palladium photos, but it will be in a year or twos time.Already had the conversation with Dan as he has the right engine for the Palladium going in his Halley.

Thanks for flagging it up.