Bedford MW 28hp engine help

fayjo56

My1940 MW has a 28hp engine with an OX engine number (does this matter?). Under the tappets is what looks like a piece of meccanno with a wire hung from it going down a tube into the push rod chamber. Any ideas what its for please?

I have tried to get a couple of pics:

mwengine002.jpg

mwengine001.jpg

My1940 MW has a 28hp engine with an OX engine number (does this matter?). Under the tappets is what looks like a piece of meccanno with a wire hung from it going down a tube into the push rod chamber. Any ideas what its for please?

I have tried to get a couple of pics:

The engine number means the unit was originally fitted to an OX, but as they are the same there is no problem, engines were changed left right and centre, not unusual. As for the wire and Meccano, not a standard fitment and I cannot see what it might be doing there. Have you taken the sideplate off to see what the other end of the wire is doing?

How intriguing. Could it be a home brewed collector device to encourage more oil flow to the camshaft centre bearing. I really cant think. Like you say its a fair bet if it has a part no it will be Meccano not Bedford

part 62 is called " flame arrester " in the QL driver's handbook ?

A wire gauze in a canister to stop flames/blowbacks. A wash in petrol and a few squirts of clean oil does the job to clean it up.

Alec.

• 5 years later...

Long shot, 28 hp engine = we have the official manuals but the illustrations don't show the part of the block I need to see.

Drivers side, the top two bolts attaching the gearbox to the block, there Is a coolant leak which seems to be either from the bolt or the block mating face. the core plug just above the area is good and the leak does seem to be long established. the area has been scanned with a camera probe and no obvious cause seen, the flow definitely from below the bolt and flange.

At the front of the engine there is an expansion plug at the same level, which in the cut away view looks to be actually a drain at the bottom of the water jacket, is this plug repeated at the rear?

Short of taking the engine out I don't see a solution - pointers please, the truck is now fully restored and should be attending its first show - not risking it on the road until this leak is traced and sorted.

It would benefit from a carb - a non original one is fitted and its knackered!

The core plug is under the bell housing between the mated surfaces.

Have you mistaken the plug at the end of the camshaft for the core plug?

I have an engine with the bellhousing off and I will try to post picture tomorrow.

Peter.