Falklands war timeline

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4th April British submarine Conqueror sails from Faslane;

Argentines occupy Goose Green and Darwin;

Lighthousekeeper and radio ham Reg Silvey makes radio contact with the UK and continues clandestine broadcasts throughout the occupation

5th April Aircraft carriers Hermes and Invincible sail from Portsmouth with other ships;

Carrington resigns and is replaced as Foreign Secretary by Francis Pym;

Junior Foreign Office Ministers Richard Luce and Humphrey Atkins resign

Edited by polecat paul

Was it not a 'conflict'? war was never officially declared between the two countries.

It was a war. Look at UN Resolutions about 50 to 54. One of them states that an act of war is an implicit declaration of war and no declaration of war is necessary for a state of war to exist. Another states that a military occupation of another country's territory is an act of war. The Argies therefore implicitly initiated a war by committing an act of war.

Let there be no doubt whatsoever.

Except we are forgetting the political tap dance. We don't wage 'War's' on countries we may want to sell things to. From a Soldier's point of view when the rounds are going down, who cares?

Exactly. As one who might have been invited to the party (and I managed to pull off a great late April fool on the whole of C Squadron, whom I had believing their 6-week jolly to Oz was off because of the war and we were going), stuff the politicians, it was a war.

Remember, you can tell when a politician is lying because his lips are moving.

Is this getting political? Must I stop now or risk incurring the wrath of the moderators?

7th April Reagan approves Haig peace mission;

British Government announces it will impose a 200-mile exclusion zone around the Islands on 26 April;

Liner Canberra is requisitioned at Southampton upon her return from a world cruise;

Britain freezes $1.4 billion in Argentine assets held in British banks

Edited by polecat paul

This thread has me hooked. Brilliant idea....please keep it going to the end.

Me & a couple of others at the place I worked at the time were reservists & had it gone badly could have been recalled (gladly)....I remember during every BBC radio news update you could here a pin drop in the workshop while blokes gathered around the radio for a 'listen in'.

H

9th April 3 Commando Brigade sail from Southampton aboard Canberra;

European Economic Community approve economic sanctions against Argentina (Ireland and Italy veto)

My uncle was a medic. I remember having a day off school. We travelled down to Southampton Docks to wave home off. I remember feeling so sorry for his wife. Fortunately he came back but not the same man sadly. He dealt with some of the aftermath of Sir Galahad.

I think he might have left on the Canberra?

This thread has me hooked. Brilliant idea....please keep it going to the end.

Me & a couple of others at the place I worked at the time were reservists & had it gone badly could have been recalled (gladly)....I remember during every BBC radio news update you could here a pin drop in the workshop while blokes gathered around the radio for a 'listen in'.

H

I,m pleased to hear that your hooked ,i will carry on to the end i promise!

12th April 200 mile maritime exclusion zone around the Islands declared by Britain to prevent Argentine reinforcements and supplies reaching the Islands from the mainland;

British submarine Spartan arrives on station off Stanley;

Haig returns to London

The destroyer ‘Antrim’, the frigate ‘Plymouth’ with M Company, 42 Commando, sailed from Ascension to recapture South Georgia.

Edited by polecat paul
incorrect distance

14th April Argentine fleet leaves Puerto Belgrano;

Haig returns to Washington to brief Reagan;

Squadron of ships carrying Royal Marines and special forces sent to retake South Georgia rendezvous with Endurance;

Expatriate Chief Secretary Dick Baker is deported by the Argentines

Keep going Paul, I'm still checking in daily. Its bringing back all the knotted gut feelings & memories....

"Hope they've got all the kit they need....hope they make it ashore ok.....hope the politicians don't foul it up....etc etc"

Do I recall correctly that at the time we were having trouble getting small arms ammo ?....something to do with it being made in Belgium & they refused to supply ??? anyone else recall such a report at the time ??

H