1st June 5 Infantry Brigade begins disembarkation at San Carlos;

War cabinet debate further peace proposals;

Britain repeats its ceasefire terms;

Updated Shackleton Report ordered

2nd June 2 Para reach Bluff Cove;

Argentine military envoys arrive in New York offering to surrender to the UN

3rd June Versailles summit opens;

Reagan's 5-point plan given to Britain

4th June Britain and US veto Panamanian-Spanish immediate ceasefire resolution in UN Security Council;

Spain criticises Britain's military action, becoming the only NATO country not to support Britain

2 Para occupy the undefended Bluff Cove and Fitzroy

5th June Scots Guards depart San Carlos at night on board Intrepid heading for Fitzroy

6th June Scots Guards land at Fitzroy in early morning;

Versailles summit supports British position on the conflict;

Welsh Guards depart San Carlos at night on board Fearless heading for Fitzroy

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7th June A shortage of landing craft mean half the Welsh Guards land at Fitzroy in early morning but the rest return to San Carlos, which they leave again at night on board landing craft Sir Galahad and Sir Tristram;

President Reagan pays official visit to Britain

8th June Plymouth in Falkland Sound is hit by 4 Argentine bombs but none explode;

Sir Galahad and Sir Tristram are bombed at Fitzroy while the Welsh Guards are waiting to disembark - 51 die including 38 Welsh Guards and 55 are seriously wounded;

War cabinet asked not to reveal Fitzroy casualties;

Landing craft Foxtrot-4 sunk with British vehicles aboard;

3 Argentine skyhawks are shot down by sea harriers;

General Moore finalises battle plan for Stanley

10th June Falklands Appeal launched under patronage of Lord Shackleton;

Peru sends 10 mirage jets to Argentina to replenish losses

11th June Battle for Stanley begins on Mount Longdon, Mount Harriet and Two Sisters - 23 paras and 50 Argentines die;

Sergeant Ian McKay of 3 Para is killed on Mount Longdon and subsequently awarded Victoria Cross;

3 Islanders killed during British naval bombardment of Stanley;

Pope John Paul II visits Argentina and denounces all wars as 'unjust'

8th June Plymouth in Falkland Sound is hit by 4 Argentine bombs but none explode;

Sir Galahad and Sir Tristram are bombed at Fitzroy while the Welsh Guards are waiting to disembark - 51 die including 38 Welsh Guards and 55 are seriously wounded;

War cabinet asked not to reveal Fitzroy casualties;

Landing craft Foxtrot-4 sunk with British vehicles aboard;

3 Argentine skyhawks are shot down by sea harriers;

General Moore finalises battle plan for Stanley

10th June Falklands Appeal launched under patronage of Lord Shackleton;

Peru sends 10 mirage jets to Argentina to replenish losses

11th June Battle for Stanley begins on Mount Longdon, Mount Harriet and Two Sisters - 23 paras and 50 Argentines die;

Sergeant Ian McKay of 3 Para is killed on Mount Longdon and subsequently awarded Victoria Cross;

3 Islanders killed during British naval bombardment of Stanley;

Pope John Paul II visits Argentina and denounces all wars as 'unjust'

As I stated earlier my uncle was a medic, I think he was one of the first on board Sir Galahad after it had been hit

12th June 3 Para take Mount Longdon - another 6 paras and 50 Argentines die, including Sergeant Ian John McKay who is awarded a posthumous Victoria Cross;

42 Commando take Mount Harriet and 45 Commando take Two Sisters;

British destroyer Glamorgan badly damaged by land-launched exocet missile - 13 die;

5 Infantry Brigade moves into position

13th June Battle for Tumbledown, Wireless Ridge and Mount William - 15 Britons and 40 Argentines die

I was with my parents at an organ recital when news of the end of the war came through. Glenn madden had been demonstrating the capabilities of the Yamaha D85, and by a number of adjustments and de-tuning the organ, it was able to play a sound exactly like steel drums. He'd just finished a steel drums tune, when a woman burst in from the back of the room and shouted out that the war was over. Someone else then jumped up and shouted out to play the National Anthem. Everyone stood up and without undoing all the adjustments to the organ, Glenn started playing the Anthem on the de-tuned organ! It didn't seem to matter, everyone sang regardless.

14th June By daylight Argentine troops are fleeing in disarray, by mid-morning white flags are flying in Stanley, and by noon the British have marched to the outskirts of Stanley;

Thatcher informs the Commons at 10.15pm UK time that the Argentines have surrendered;

General Mario Menendez surrenders to Major General Jeremy Moore at 9pm FI time;

9,800 Argentine troops put down their arms

15th June British officers are flown by helicopter to the outlying settlements to accept the surrender of local Argentine commanders;

Stanley's historic Globe Store is destroyed by an Argentine arsonist;

Canberra embarks 1,200 Argentine POWs at San Carlos

Paul,

Dunno if you've still got any final bits & loose ends to add on....but I just want to say a big thanks for doing this & what a memory jogger it has been right through. (a bit like where were you when Elvis died)

It certainly made me re-live all the emotions of the time.....I don't think I missed one single news report, on TV or radio, for the entire time the operation was on, & this brought it all back.

I personally think the armed forces learned a lot from the conflict at the time....but with the scrapping of Harrier, no more V bomber to fall back on, the farce with the carriers, cuts left right & centre, I fear it would be even more difficult if we had to do it all again. It would still all be down to the poor bloody infantry....assuming we could find the ships & aircraft to get them there of course.

Thanks.

H

16th June Canberra embarks a further 1,850 Argentine POWs in Port William outside Stanley;

Peter Blaker, Defence Minister of State, announces that the official count of British military and civilian war dead is 255, with approximately 300 wounded

17th June Galtieri resigns

18th June Canberra sails from Port William with 3,046 Argentine POWs aboard once Argentina guarantees her safe passage

Yes still more to come !!!

20th June British forces land on Southern Thule (South Sandwich Islands) - Argentines surrender without a fight;

Britain formally declares an end to hostilities

200 mile exclusion zone established around the Islands during the war is replaced by a Falkland Islands Protection Zone of 150 miles,

British newspaper 'The Sunday Times' publishes an unsubstantiated story that Argentina had been holding 7 members of the British Secret Air Service since 19 May, captured whilst providing intelligence information on Argentine Air Force plane departures to the British fleet,

EEC lifts economic sanctions against Argentina

Paul,

Dunno if you've still got any final bits & loose ends to add on....but I just want to say a big thanks for doing this & what a memory jogger it has been right through. (a bit like where were you when Elvis died)

I was in the NAAFI, Aliwal Barracks, Tidworth. A mukker was a great Elvis fan. I told him I could do an Elvis impression, lay down on the ground and crossed my hands over my chest. He didn't speak to me much after that.

I found him on Facebook last year. He must have forgiven me: didn't remember it.

• 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...

• 6 years later...