Password Change

In the interest of Forum Security all members will have to change their passwords, you will get an automatic message requesting this.

Please do not use simple passwords like surnames, childrens names, or military phrases like, sherman, grenade, d-day etc. they may be easy to remember but are easy for people to crack. We spend a lot of time keeping the spammers/scammers out of the forum, please don't give them an easy way in.

We recommend using an Alpha Numeric password at least 8 characters long (the longer the better). You can use this Free secure password generator to make a strong password. Tick all the boxes for a stronger password.

https://secure.pctools.com/guides/password/

Hint: Including numbers and punctuation in a mixed case password will generally create a more secure password, which would be exponentially harder to recover using a brute force password discovery method.

You can change your Password at anytime from the User CP or click here http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/profile.php?do=editpassword

Edited by Marmite!!

I've had a few complaints today that members have had to change their passwords, we're sorry about this.

Some passwords are vulnerable to exploitation which may allow a third party to hijack your account.

This may lead to your account being used without your knowledge or permission, and actions being performed under your name.

Vulnerable accounts can also be bad for the board as a whole as they may enable access for automated tools to spam both the forums and other user accounts.

With the recent cyber attack of another military based forum we thought it wise to issue a password re-set for all our members.

Not a problem for me Lee. I had been meaning to change it for a while as mine was rather simplistic.

At first I panicked as I thought it was a scam/hijack & wondered why I had been singled out. But relieved to find the announcement.

Can the password include things like @?&£%!$ etc? I couldn't tell if it would accept them because as you type it in it just displays large dots for the characters?

Can the password include things like @?&£%!$ etc? I couldn't tell if it would accept them because as you type it in it just displays large dots for the characters?

Yes. tried it & all seem acceptable. If the password was not acceptable I think the system lets you know.