FH 70 help with 24V starter motor

Hi all, I am in need of some help finding a relacement starter motor of our FH70. The current starter motor is fine but the pinon gear is badly worn (Ring gear damaged too). The starter looks the same as the standard VW item but it is 24 volt. The other option is to refurbish. Thanks ian201:embarrassed:

Hi Chaps, Thanks for the comments. Starter now away for refurb by a local company and should have back in 2 or 3 days. Now just need a new or replacement flywheel. looks like this flywheel was only fitted to VW 1.9 dg (petrol) motors and only made for a couple of years. Other option is to have the old flywheel machined and a new ring gear. Thanks again Ian

I am not familiar with your flywheel but here goes.

Most ring gears are an interference fit into a land on the flywheel

All one needs is an oxy-acetylene torch to heat the ring gear up and drive it off going around the gear. You can actually flip it if the wear is biased to one side as a temporary repair.

Speed is needed and gloves.

Have no clue why you are machining it.

R

Hi Robin,

Agreed on the change of ring gear and I thought this would be my appraoch. In this case it is cast in one peice and not sure why it has happened but the teeth are damaged or missing most of the way around (my guess is the starter has be loose but tight enough to earth). The engine turns nice and free too. I might have found a replacement fly wheel, just hope its the right one, will know for sure in the next day or so.

Kind Regards

Ian