Triumph 3sw ..missing bits ...help

jenkinov

My Triumph 3sw restoration is progressing well and I am looking to finish of the bike so need a few of the smalls ..but need some help in naming and locating these bits

Firstly the bike is missing the gear indicator ...Can anyone help me with photos ..brass /chrome ....any idea on sources

Secondly the tool box is missing the correct securing knob.......should it be chrome/brass/steel....again the correct description and any ideas on sources..

Jenkinov

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

J. Here is the gear indicator. Flimsy and fitted post war as Steve mentioned. You could probably get one off the shelve from Oliver Barns at 'Trisupply' or 'Ace Classics'.

The tool box knob is the dumbbell shape. (designed so that they can't swivel undone with vibration). Probably also available from those Trumpet dealers or 'Russell Motors' or his Brother Geoff Meyers. Ron

3SW 035.jpg

3SW 036.jpg

Ron & WD BikeMad Thanks for the photos and info ..I will try and order the gear indicator and tool box knob tomorrow ..Jenkinov
Your Jeep will be feeling all unloved with all the attention the bike is getting ! LOL :)

Hello Vulture.

This Enfield WD/L I just acquired came from Huntingdon! I was there last week.

Ron

Wow, what a small world we live in ! If your down this way again Ron, drop by for a cuppa :)

Kind regards

Vulture

Thanks for the kind offer Vulture. But with thoughts of the M27, M3, M25 and A1M in mind. It could be some time.

However it was very picturesque around Somersham when we finally got there.

Ron

Thanks for the kind offer Vulture. But with thoughts of the M27, M3, M25 and A1M in mind. It could be some time.However it was very picturesque around Somersham when we finally got there.Ron
As a Yorkshire lad born and bred, stuck down south I do miss the rolling hills. That said Cambridgeshire does have some advantages: the road network is generally quite good with lots of them quite straight, its not over-populated/too built up, its the dryest county in UK, and most of it is pretty flat. This latter element I'm finding to be quite a good thing in my GMC. Dragging 4.5 (metric) tonnes around with only 90bhp means the slightest hill is a bit of a challenge ! LOL

Vulture .....The Jeep is on the road,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and I am keen to get the bike on the road . Had it not been for the petrol tank The Bike would have been roadworthy months ago but I think we have that problem in hand ...

I want the bike at a few shows this year ...

Jenkinov

Vulture .....The Jeep is on the road,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and I am keen to get the bike on the road . Had it not been for the petrol tank The Bike would have been roadworthy months ago but I think we have that problem in hand ...

I want the bike at a few shows this year ...

Jenkinov

Still chewing on whether to go to War In Peace... The expense in Petrol is giving me pause for thought though >:(:shocked::angry:argh:

Will the bike be ready for then ?

Vulture

The other possibility may be Draganfly in Suffolk.....they do BSA and Ariel parts and I'm pretty sure that late W/NGs used the same or a similar toolbox knob...? Even if the thread is different, you will at least have a starting point.....

This one-armed item was designed to prevent opening due to vibration......

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks, I have found a seat, which needs a new cover. Now the Triumph looks like a motorcycle. Turned out to be easy, as Cornucopia in Vahlbruch/Germany is only 50km away from me: Several barns full of 1930/1940s british bike parts, rooms full of engines, gear boxes, military tool boxes.

Sadly no 3sw front fork, just a 3hw. (problem solved a few hours later, found one, new old stock)

What I am looking for at the moment are the mounting parts, top and bottom, for the military side stand, which I also got from Peter Long/Cornucopia. He told me that I am missing the upper attachment bracket on my frame, but only from this forum I know that the 3sw side stand bracket was only bolted to the frame, not welded.

Oliver

Edited by Einbeck Bowl

Quite right Oliver. The 3SW and 5SW field stand was an add on feature. The 3HW had it as a welded on lug. A field stand from an Ariel W/NG is almost identical (from John Budgen) but I think these also have the brazed on lug. Here is my 3SW. Ron

3SW 040.jpg

Thanks, another helpful picture. Is that a clamp to hold your field stand in place on the bike when not in use? There was something welded to my frame on my project. Still looking for a rear stand, tool box, some front fork parts and rear carrier.

And is there an easy guide to find the correct colour for a 1940 3sw?

Oliver

jhdjqv.jpg

Oliver what has been cut from your down tube is just a flat plate with two staggered 1/4" holes for the two spring clips. Again you can use Ariel clips which are different and I'll post a picture of those also (3rd pic). The top clamp should be easy for anyone with milling equipment to fashion from a solid block.

The correct colour for a bike of this year would have been 'Khaki Green' but this is another debate about what is or isn't correct. But with different firms supplying it to different manufacturers, the shades could have varied enormously. Anything from a light to a dark greeny brown. Whatever is pleasing to ones own eye I feel. Ron

3SW 045.jpg

3SW 048.jpg

WING 071.jpg

Edited by Ron