Triumph 3sw ..missing bits ...help

jenkinov

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This was on ebay last year (350 £, no bids), is this a 3sw top yoke? The drawings in the Triumph manuals are not the best source for searching for missing fork parts.

4k8uoz.jpg

And if somebody knows a dealer with a barn full of 3sw fork parts, I only have the main fork, front fender and the spring so far.

Oliver

2vta1y0.jpg

Yolk.....I have checked the yoke on my bike and it's quite different to that shown in the photo..mine features bolts on the mounting points as well as the handlebar mounts......the issue I face is that mine may not be correct..those vehicles were military and to keep them in use available parts would be used.....

I will check on a friend's 5s to see if they match mine......

Certainly expensive at the price you say......

Regards

Jenkinov

That ebay item looks very similiar to the drawing in my "Triumph Replacement Parts 1939 Models" manual. That auction did end last year without bids, but it is most likely gone by now, as it was never relisted. It was listed as Triumph yoke, 123,9 mm wide with 11,13 mm fork stem hole. Just wondering if this is what I have to look for.

Regards

Oliver

Oliver....a few days ago I got an original but very fragile original handbook.I also looking at it now and the diagram on page 5 matches my yoke ...so likely mine is original ...I will try and take a photo for you ..

Jenkinov

Oliver....a few days ago I got an original but very fragile original handbook.I also looking at it now and the diagram on page 5 matches my yoke ...so likely mine is original ...I will try and take a photo for you ..

Jenkinov

Photo enclosed

The military Triumphs did not feature the rubber mounted handlebars which is what the Ebay yolk is for. It's a pre war thing........They're a pain in the arse anyway, as the bars easily swivel in the rubber doughnuts and can end up hitting the top of your tank. Ron

Einbeck ..parts for triumphs and in particular the 3sw are hard to get if you want originals but they do surface...there have been 2 5sw engines surface in Ireland and I have seen 3x3sw engines for sale 1gearbox ..about 3 petrol tanks and 1 frame..interestingly the frame featured telescopic forks ...I suspect a post war addition.

You may have detailed in in earlier e mails but can I ask what your frame number is ....also the engine and contract number..it's worth registering your bike at triumphwd.nl

Jenkinov

Yep, I am already registered. Frame TL15254, Contract 1630, Engine 3s 35244.

Earlier this week there was a nearly complete 3sw fork on ebay/Italy, but the auction was ended on 14.April "because of an error in the listing". I guess this means it was sold outside ebay. And before that I had found the main fork shaft in Austria. Seller returned the money, as he couldn´t find it anymore.

Oliver (50WLH, 43WLA, 44WLA and ... 1/2 Triumph 3sw:D)

Oliver, just to clarify as I can't remember if I've already mentioned it. The forks you need are the pre war lightweights.(Made by Triumph). The wartime forks as fitted to 3HW's are not the same. After the factory was bombed in 1940 and Triumph continued with production of the 3HW in their new facility, they fitted 'Webb' forks.

I bought a complete set for a 5SW project off a Dutch guy about 2 years ago, I paid £500 for them. As Jenk says, this Triumph stuff is hard to find! Just keep looking and advertising. They are sweet little bikes.

Ron

Thanks for the frame and engine numbers ....I found you on the register and the entry lists you as having found forks...I would update it to list your wants as most owners keep an eye out for spares...

Triumph engines and bikes appear to feature quite a number of stamps which can help greatly with dating ....if you look on the rear of the seat post you will find the year and month of the frames manufacture ..is will read TE ...triumph engineering .then month .8 or 08 ....I.e August and the year 40....the stamp is at the top of the frame ..lateral ...you either need the seat off or view it with a torch..

Jenkinov

The 3sw is indeed an interesting piece of history. Not sure what to think about it from a technical point of view, as I am always comparing the Triumph components to my Flatheads. "A bolt - they fitted it with just one tiny bolt??" :wow: "A tube, just a tube for a handlebar? No inner sleeves, no castings?? And it worked??"

Well, except for the inside of my primary case cover, it seems to have worked.

Technical I could use a 3hw front fork to get away from basketcase status to a running bike, and replace it when I have found the missing 3sw parts?

Oliver

Einbeck...the 3sw forks could turn up tomorrow ...or in many years time ..I have a list of parts I have been hunting since I got the bike...a rear rack.an original toolbox knob.....whilst hunting I found a spare engine..in terms of your forks I would use what's available and get the bike on the road and replace the spokes when you trace an original..

Jenkinov

Indeed the Webb fork will do, and they also fitted a very similar Webb fork on Velocette's. Which could widen your search opportunities.

Jenk. Lex is here and passing through, and given me a toolbox knob for you. PM me your email address and I'll send a picture.

Ron

Jenkinov - Good idea to update the Triumph entry. The frame is now stripped from paint and rust, but I can´t find any date stamp on it.

For a german road licence I need to find an original fork, so using my unidentified post-war fork is no option. I guess a 3hw fork should be no problem.

Oliver

Edited: I just hope I don´t have to buy something like this (currently on ebay)

rsslsls.jpg

Edited by Einbeck Bowl

Not sure what that is ....but the tyre on the front looks quite wide ....so I suspect the forks have been modified..one to stay clear of.......

I can appreciate that you are trying to avoid the Indian replacement forks on sound sound advice from Ron but if you have original forks have you considered sourcing a .top yoke from india ....your correspondence suggests you have most other fork components ...and if the key strength points are original ..I.e the forks I suspect you are ok with a copy yoke...

Ron ..what's your opinion..

Jenkinov

Those three wheel vans were made in large numbers by Raleigh and would have used a girder fork far too heavy for a little Trumpet...

Later the company became Reliant "you ploncker Rodney"

I've yet to see anything from India that would inspire me to risk life and limb. OK for some of the tin ware if you can find stuff that is not beaten misshapen by a Walla sat cross legged in the sand.

What the hell are these made from?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251445262834?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_sacat%3D0%26_from%3DR40%26_nkw%3D251445262834%26_rdc%3D1

Ron

Edited by Ron

I can appreciate that you are trying to avoid the Indian replacement forks on sound sound advice from Ron but if you have original forks have you considered sourcing a .top yoke from india ....your correspondence suggests you have most other fork components ...and if the key strength points are original ..I.e the forks I suspect you are ok with a copy yoke...

Jenkinov

Well, I only have the 3sw fork and my focus is finding the main shaft, that goes into the frame and a fitting top yoke.

I was reading a threat somewhere from a guy who had tested an Indian build girder fork and he had no problems with it at all. Even after using his bike off road. One could also invest in some European man power and have the product, or the needed parts, tested and/or modified for road savety. But as far as I know they only produce the 3hw fork in India and I don´t know if those main shaft and top yoke are the same. My mayor problem is still my lack of knowledge about the parts I am searching. For example these two forks are currently on ebay, but would they fit?

$_58.JPG

Triumph Speed Twin?

$_58.JPG

Listed as "girder fork Triumph Velocette Rudge Norten BSA".

Not 3sw/3hw and no top yoke, even if it would fit.

Regards

Oliver