WW2 20cwt Water trailer/bowser restoration

Ian L

Ian,

Interesting trailer. It still has the body of the Differential Pump bolted to offside rear corner, these are quite rare and were used on other water treatment bowsers.

The main problem is that it is missing the rear Metafilter Bodies, these were clamped into the circular frames....rare to find and I know of several people looking for them.

Hi Ian,

What a find. It shows that there is still some good stuff out there.

I suppose that the important thing would be to save it initially. the missing parts can be found or possibly replicated later.

I see from the restoration blogs that you are restoring a Bedford QL GS truck, so this would be a nice accessory.

Here's an extract from the Orbat for the Admin Platoon of a typical British Infantry Battalion in North West Europe 1944:

3 ton 4X 4 lorry GS 11

butchery dutyman, cook, driver IC

Tows a water trailer.

Dont know what your plans are, but Bedfords are not that common a sight nowadays (very few up here in Scotland), but while not as versatile as a GS trailer, this could make a nice combination, if you wanted anything like that.

Regards,

Dave.

Hi Ian,

What a find. It shows that there is still some good stuff out there.

I suppose that the important thing would be to save it initially. the missing parts can be found or possibly replicated later.

I see from the restoration blogs that you are restoring a Bedford QL GS truck, so this would be a nice accessory.

Here's an extract from the Orbat for the Admin Platoon of a typical British Infantry Battalion in North West Europe 1944:

3 ton 4X 4 lorry GS 11

butchery dutyman, cook, driver IC

Tows a water trailer.

Dont know what your plans are, but Bedfords are not that common a sight nowadays (very few up here in Scotland), but while not as versatile as a GS trailer, this could make a nice combination, if you wanted anything like that.

Regards,

Dave.

Hi David I thought it might look good behind my QL too.

• Like 1

i saw this in november last year when i enquired about it no one on site could tell me anything

about it or who owned it, i work for the company that put the earth bund in thats in 1 of the photos.

Sherman

Hi Sherman I have known of the Bowsers existance since I started flying from the airfield in 1996 but at that time I had no interest in MV's.

When I saw that the ground around it had been cleared and all the rubbish in the middle of the field I thought it might be destined for scrap ?

I have contacted Ross (land owner) twice but no reply yet, if you can help please PM me as I have transport & land to save it.

Thanks Ian

the person we were doing the work for was called David Enige, he is a local contractor unfortunately i

don't have his phone number but i do know he has some machines on the new incinerator site at Ardley

landfill and the new housing site near tesco in Buckingham. i hope this is of some use to you with the bowser.

Sherman

• 2 weeks later...

Contact atlast :) Spoke to the landowner today and he's willing to sell the bowser but not sure how much its worth ?

I have suggested that its only worth scrap value due to the cost of restoration but am willing to pay more inorder to save it.

He's going to think on it over the weekend and let me know on Monday.

And another Bowser has turned up in a farmers field not far from me, the chasis has been cut/modified but it has a lot more of the parts I would need to make up one complete unit.

I will be asking a friend to make enquiries on my behalf ;)

002.jpg

003.jpg

005.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

• Like 1