WW2 20cwt Water trailer/bowser restoration

Ian L

I haven`t got a british one on 20 " wheels , but a Canadian built one on 20" wheels , it is complete , just the 2 pumps are still missing .

Hi Maurice I'm looking at making a couple of siphons & floats but I have no idea what they look like except for 1 poor photo, somebody from Holland / Belgium posted on HMVF that they had one but I can't find that post, was it you ?

Or do you know of an original syphon / float that could be photographed & measured please ?

The 2 siphons are on the racks with the floats above them next to the filters, I could guess the measurements but would rather make exact copies.

Regards Ian

20cwt bowser rear view LES F.jpg

Yes Tim,

Thought of someone who might like it when I spotted it

Must be worth it weight in gold to the right person......just checking gold price on London Metals Exchange :cool2:

QUOTE=Great War truck;454995]Crikey John. That is an amazing find.

• 4 weeks later...
Morning Ian,

I have just acquired what I think is a special made spanner for your 180 Gallon Bowsers:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]109547[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]109548[/ATTACH]

Have you got one already?

Hi John I've just acquired 2, a 180 gallon & 200 gallon so there must be one for the 100 gallon bowser as they all have the same pumps.

DSC03661.JPG

DSC03662.JPG

DSC03663.JPG

Hi John I've just acquired 2, a 180 gallon & 200 gallon so there must be one for the 100 gallon bowser as they all have the same pumps.

Ian,

They are clearly quite common then?

I thought it was mad to make a special spanner with 180 Gallon on it....but to make another one for the 200 gallon bowsers really is " surprising"! Perhaps a specail lightweight version was made for the 100 Gallon bowsers :-D.

Ian,

They are clearly quite common then?

I thought it was mad to make a special spanner with 180 Gallon on it....but to make another one for the 200 gallon bowsers really is " surprising"! Perhaps a specail lightweight version was made for the 100 Gallon bowsers :-D.

Hi John I went onto ebay about a couple of week ago and found them both the same night & won one for £4.99 & the other for £6 no other bids, not seen any since.

Yes Tim,

Thought of someone who might like it when I spotted it

Must be worth it weight in gold to the right person......just checking gold price on London Metals Exchange :cool2:

QUOTE=Great War truck;454995]Crikey John. That is an amazing find.

Oh dear - your ideas of making a fortune have gone up in smoke again! Hopefully you hadn't promised Mrs. Corden a share of the profits.

• 4 weeks later...

Right Christmas over :D time to get back on with some restoration work before the weather goes down hill.

The 2 brake back plates were very rotten so I needed new ones made rather than repairs.

Guys friend made me a couple of blanks which I then cut & filed the holes in the correct position, next I removed the dished centre sections which are much thicker material from the old back plates.

I then had it all shot blasted before welding the corroded centres & finally spot welded them together.

DSC03646.JPG

DSC03647.JPG

DSC03648.JPG

DSC03649.JPG

DSC03651.JPG

DSC03652.JPG

DSC03655.JPG

DSC03654.JPG

DSC03653.JPG

DSC03674.JPG

DSC03673.JPG

DSC03675.JPG

Well done Ian! I got made mine too. First made a mistake on the centre hole diameter so had to weld in an insertion ring. But it is fixed now. Still a bit strugling with the chassis replacing all the rotten sections one by one, nearly there though :-)

All the best to The New Year!

plates.jpg

Well done Ian! I got made mine too. First made a mistake on the centre hole diameter so had to weld in an insertion ring. But it is fixed now. Still a bit strugling with the chassis replacing all the rotten sections one by one, nearly there though :-)

All the best to The New Year!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]111466[/ATTACH]

Hi Duson well done mate, It would be nice to see some photos of your restoration too.

As for the rotten chassis look at my restoration page 5 posts #45 to #50, unfortunately no more bowsers or parts have turned up for a very long time now but Richard is progressing well with the replica Meta / Stellar filters & all the brass fittings which we need for the 100 & 180 gallon bowsers.

I know Ian how badly rotten your chassis was, much worse than mine. Athough not up-to-date picture, here is mine after replacing few sections, the front A frame had to be also replaced. As for the spares, I am looking for the hose-tray, at least one for a pattern. I will be replicating all the other missing parts such as fenders, the rear filter frame, front crate frame, pump holders etc. When the time comes I will appreciate some help with dimmensions...

chassis.jpg

Edited by Duson

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Well this restoration is back on track again & should now be finished by the spring if all goes well, a friend that's restoring a 100 gallon airborne bowser like Mr C's ;) needed to borrow one of my Meta / Stellar filters to make a replica & in return he has made all the brass hose connectors / blanking plugs & replaced the damaged threads on the brass tap for me.

He still has the brass nipples to made for each nut & they will be silver soldered on later once I receive them :nut:

The replica that Richard has made is 100% correct right down to the internal filter tubes that nobody will ever see (photos to follow) he is also making a pair of replicas for me in return for the correct pump which I have one spare left.

DSC05238.jpg

DSC05239.jpg

DSC05240.jpg

DSC05241.jpg

DSC05242.jpg

DSC05243.jpg

DSC05246.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Another lucky find, I won this makers plate on ebay a few days ago.

Its exactly the same plate as the one on the bowser in the Luxembourg museum, anyone know anything about AC cars ? were they the makers of the AC Cobra ? which I thought was American.

DSC06781.jpg

DSC06782.jpg

20cwt bowser Luxembourg 4.jpg

• 3 months later...
Looks good, where did you source the ironmongery for the stowage box from, I'm trying to get some of those latches for a storage box on the K9?

PT

Hi PT thanks :-D see posts #95 #96 #107

The corner brackets I made, the long lid hinges came off a WW2 ammo box, the long lower hinge/catch I made from some shorter hinges, the top lid catches (not shown) are from a WW2 ammo box and the turn buckles you can get from here.

let me know if you need assistance.

http://www.lrseries.com/shop/product/listing/652/334525-TURN-BUCKLE.html?search=locker&page=2

Regards Ian