WW2 20cwt Water trailer/bowser restoration

Ian L

Hello Ian.

I can see on some of the pictures that this trailer had a bridge plate . It's a coincidence that on my resent 1 ton trailer there where markings where there where bridge plates fitted .

There are holes in the front panel and right hand front panel.

Guy.

I only had these 3 photos to go by but I think its petty close considering.

You have made a tidier finish to the cover than the original, where the corners are not folded under the sides of the cover but just left to stick out.

You have made a tidier finish to the cover than the original, where the corners are not folded under the sides of the cover but just left to stick out.

Bit of 'artistic licence' there Guy, if I had copied the original then I would properly of been criticised for poor workmanship, you wont win mate ;)

Bit of 'artistic licence' there Guy, if I had copied the original then I would properly of been criticised for poor workmanship, you wont win mate ;)

Could lead to a new topic:-

Should restoration be about originality or perfection?

:mad::mad:

Seems a harsh reply to what I thought was a reasonable question and not a criticism, especially after this post from you:-

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Making a fresh start on this project after over 2 years away from it due to poor health, nice easy job silver soldering the new brass nipples onto the new brass water hose connectors, 28 of them to do in total.

DSC00663.JPG

DSC00662.JPG

DSC00661.JPG

Edited by Ian L
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...

Next job was fabricating the 2 Syphon's / Suction filters, the only photo I have of them is this early war photo which blown up has given us enough detail to fabricate something that looks right.

Started off with this Hugh 1970's fire service syphon which just happens to be the same diameter as the original's and which fit into 2 brackets next to the filters.

I will post photos of the completed items tomorrow   

Filter 4.jpg

Filter 1.jpg

Filter 2.jpg

Filter 3.jpg

20cwt bowser rear view LES F.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Ian

I thought that the suction strainers were larger...

IMG_6235.thumb.JPG.6c08558e07d7cf04513e326fe8596ca6.JPGIMG_6236.thumb.JPG.3cd03bb8fd234293bc1c860875cc0616.JPGIMG_6237.thumb.JPG.dd821f3870f16d4aad7340eaa5e8271f.JPGIMG_6238.thumb.JPG.c4986def839beed2bef26ca719af08b1.JPGIMG_6239.thumb.JPG.4ad7b951cce54ec41bed0b1d6de0e4a0.JPG

About 7-8" in diameter and fitted into the holder next to the filter

IMG_1220.jpeg.adcae97ef301f940f70d36ffd6483af9.jpeg

I have seen different types of WW2 strainer, some spherical ones and some that have hinges on them so that they can be cleaned out. Also I haven't seen any mention of "wicker baskets" that go around the strainer (like fire engines use) on water bowsers ot tankers. - hope this helps

Richard

Hi Richard in answer to you 1st question these strainers we made measure 7 1/2" across which fit exactly into the round holders.

We have made them by enlarging the original photo but in hindsight I wish I had made them about 1" taller but too late now, the tops have a slight curve which looks about right ? 

We can also see that the tops are held on by 2 toggle latch's similar to the ones in my photo so when I go to Stoneleigh in February I'll look for military / period looking ones.

DSC01681.JPG

DSC01682.JPG

DSC01683.JPG

DSC01684.JPG

DSC01685.JPG

DSC01686.JPG

DSC01687.JPG

DSC01689.JPG

20cwt bowser rear view LES F.jpg

Edited by Ian L

2 hours ago, MatchFuzee said:

Hi Guy. why did nobody post this before & where has it come from ? the exploded view of the strainer is not the same as the one in the rear trailer shot as it has a side hinge & pin lock rather than a clip either side ?

50 minutes ago, 64EK26 said:

Hi Ian/Matchfuzee

Thanks for the update and info

I haven't come across that website before, will have a closer look late this week

Cheers

Richard

Hi Richard what surprises me most is where this information came from QUOTE : ' My thanks got to Alan Tanknut for his research and for supplying the diagram above' Somebody that I know as he is restoring a Humber Box & has had 180 Gallon parts off me in just the last couple of weeks. I will have to have words with him.

Guy / Richard.

They are similar but not the same, I still think the pair that I am making look closer to the photo' s circles red.

Also the trailer photo has float blocks with single straps & hose coming straight out the top of the Syphon where as the diagram is completely different from the trailer photo.

Filter 1.png

Filter 6.png

DSC01682.JPG

Edited by Ian L

22 minutes ago, Ian L said:

They are similar but not the same, I still think the pair that I am making look closer to the photo' s circles red.

Ian, it is a shame that the photo doesn't show the base of the filter.

I can't enlarge the photo enough to be sure, but the filter might be side hinged.

22 minutes ago, Ian L said:

Also the trailer photo has float blocks with single straps & hose coming straight out the top of the Syphon where as the diagram is completely different from the trailer photo.

The difference maybe because the diagram (TB 4233) is for the 200 gallon lorry tanker. I assume that there is a Technical Bulletin for the 180 gallon bowser. 

1 hour ago, Ian L said:

why did nobody post this before & where has it come from ?

I only found it today. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MatchFuzee said:

Ian, it is a shame that the photo doesn't show the base of the filter.

I can't enlarge the photo enough to be sure, but the filter might be side hinged.

The difference maybe because the diagram (TB 4233) is for the 200 gallon lorry tanker. I assume that there is a Technical Bulletin for the 180 gallon bowser. 

I only found it today. 

Hi Guy.

Cheers,  I've just contacted Alan & he said the Diagram he found is from the post war 1956 200 gallon bowser manual & not the wartime 180 gallon so it is incorrect, so that clears that up.

Filter 6.png