British officer's tent - used by Canadians?

mcspool

Could anyone tell me if the "British officer's tent" was used by the Canadian Army?

Pathfinder Distribution sells reproductions, see http://www.pathfinderdistribution.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=42&category_id=15&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=64 for what they look like.

Thanks,

Hanno

British Officers Tent 2.jpg

Edited by mcspool

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
Found this picture on the internet of a "British Field Officer's Tent".

Anyone got more info on WW2 Commonwealth tents?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]65538[/ATTACH]

Sorry - missed this thread!

Yes this is the British officers tent of ours (Pathfinder Distribution). The Canadian tents were of the same pattern but as said above they were pretty much orange - I just can't figure out why they used that colour but the Germans also had a strange choice in colour. The Canadians also used orange bell tents too.

No so sure what you info you need but as in typical tradition the US officers tent is massive compared to the Brit officers tent. The German officers tent which I think was the best designed tent out of the three was surely used as the foundation of the British armys 9x9!

Sorry - missed this thread!

Yes this is the British officers tent of ours (Pathfinder Distribution). The Canadian tents were of the same pattern but as said above they were pretty much orange - I just can't figure out why they used that colour but the Germans also had a strange choice in colour. The Canadians also used orange bell tents too.

No so sure what you info you need but as in typical tradition the US officers tent is massive compared to the Brit officers tent. The German officers tent which I think was the best designed tent out of the three was surely used as the foundation of the British armys 9x9!

Thanks for getting back on this. Generally, I am looking for information on the various forms and shapes of tents in use by Commonwealth forces in WW2. There does not seem to be reference books or websites available on this subject, are there?

More specifically, I want to know what I am looking at when looking to buy a (preferably) Canadian tent. The Field Officer's Tent (that's what it's called, or so I have been told) would be the right size for me.

With orangey-yellow or orange shade of canvas, do you mean the typical dark brown as the tent you offer or more of a tan colour as the one in the attached picture?

generaaltje29155_1.jpg

Hanno - the tent in your above picture is based on a US small wall tent. That's a great picture as like all things WWII nothing is ever consistant.

The tent even has the stove pipe flap (top right hand corner of the door) but it is to high for the US model also it doesn't have the option of being able to roll the side walls up. Does it have a makers stamp/label in it?

The British and Commonwealth tentage was a hang over from our empire days. What is very distinctive about British tents is they have vents in their roofs. I would have a guess that the above was indeed Canadian 'orange' but has been serverly bleached by the sun over the last 70 years. I had a lot of Canadian images that I kept whilst I was researching tentage for Pathfinder but have moved three times since then but will try and locate it and if I can I will send you a copy.

I have never come across many Canadian tents on the market.

Easy to find in the snow though. Is there something special about the weave or cloth weight or proffing that dictates the colour?

No they are 13oz duck canvas. Canvas is white in its raw state and then dyed to the colour required.

Hanno - the tent in your above picture is based on a US small wall tent. That's a great picture as like all things WWII nothing is ever consistant.

The tent even has the stove pipe flap (top right hand corner of the door) but it is to high for the US model also it doesn't have the option of being able to roll the side walls up. Does it have a makers stamp/label in it?

Thanks Jack, so it's a bit of an enigma? Have asked the seller for more details, will post them here when I get them.

If you think we are nuts when we speak of Canadian 'orange' here's a good example of the shade.......

It certainly has an orange hue over it!

Made me think of the Royal Dutch Navy kitbag, mine plus my dad's are in the attic somewhere, they've been the same for ages. Here's a pic of a current issue one I found online.

3523.jpg

Thanks Jack, so it's a bit of an enigma? Have asked the seller for more details, will post them here when I get them.

Yes they are great things to investigate - they should be an Canadian stamp on the tent but it may of faded many years ago now.

IN 1944 the US produce enough canvas that if it were 100' wide and layed end to end would stretch from the east coast to the west coast of the USA :shocked:

No reply from the seller, seems the tent is sold as the ad is gone. Here's two more pictures, that's all the info I have :(

generaaltje29155_3.jpg

generaaltje29155_2.jpg

Yes they are great things to investigate - they should be an Canadian stamp on the tent but it may of faded many years ago now.

Speaking of markings, here's another British tent but with markings. Hope this is of use to someone.

generaaltje29195_3.jpg

generaaltje29195_1.jpg

generaaltje29195_2.jpg

That tent may not be exactly British, I think it was made in India.

... giveaway is the word "Baroda" !

Richard, I didn't study the markings, now that you mention it I googled the word and I guess you are right.

It also explains the mosquito net!

This photo illustrates colours quite well despite the rain.

- Furthest away is an original war dated 160lb fly sheet,

- next is one of Jack's Officer tents

- next is an original war dated Signals Tent (or Tent, Wireless) with one of Jack's Officer Tent flysheets over the top (a few inches too long)

- closest to camera is an original war dated Signals Tent.

As you can see, the Canadian is orange, and Jack's is brown.

Our Signals Tent, 160lb tent, 160lb fly, and several bivvy tents are all the same tan colour.

Another difference between the Signals tents is my British one has metal hook & eye fastenings whereas the Canadian one has rope fastenings.

DSCF5700.jpg

• 1 year later...