Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: British officer's tent - used by Canadians?

Default British officer's tent - used by Canadians?

Could anyone tell me if the "British officer's tent" was used by the Canadian Army?

Pathfinder Distribution sells reproductions, see http://www.pathfinderdistribution.co...mart&Itemid=64 for what they look like.

Thanks,
    Hanno

Last edited by mcspool; 03-03-2012 at 21:38.

Default Re: British officer's tent - used by Canadians?

I can't answer you, but I know Canadian tents tend to be a distinctive orangey-yellow shade of canvas.

Most kit used by the Canadians was either British-issue or Canadian manufacture but based upon British patterns.......the chocolate brown colour would be common for 1942 - 44 production for both the UK and Canada.......

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Seems this is a kind of subject with only little information available?

Found this picture on the internet of a "British Field Officer's Tent".

Anyone got more info on WW2 Commonwealth tents?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture104-1.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	105.7 KB 
ID:	65538

Quote Originally Posted by mcspool View Post
    Found this picture on the internet of a "British Field Officer's Tent".

Anyone got more info on WW2 Commonwealth tents?

Name:	Picture104-1.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	105.7 KB 
ID:	65538

Sorry - missed this thread!

Yes this is the British officers tent of ours (Pathfinder Distribution). The Canadian tents were of the same pattern but as said above they were pretty much orange - I just can't figure out why they used that colour but the Germans also had a strange choice in colour. The Canadians also used orange bell tents too.

No so sure what you info you need but as in typical tradition the US officers tent is massive compared to the Brit officers tent. The German officers tent which I think was the best designed tent out of the three was surely used as the foundation of the British armys 9x9!
    Jack Beckett
    Dorset

HMVF winners of the Bart Vanderveen award 2008. For outstanding contribution to the military vehicle movement.

www.WarHistoryOnline.com
    Online War History News

www.GhostsOfHistory.co.uk
    Then & Now WWII prints

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Sorry - missed this thread!

Yes this is the British officers tent of ours (Pathfinder Distribution). The Canadian tents were of the same pattern but as said above they were pretty much orange - I just can't figure out why they used that colour but the Germans also had a strange choice in colour. The Canadians also used orange bell tents too.

No so sure what you info you need but as in typical tradition the US officers tent is massive compared to the Brit officers tent. The German officers tent which I think was the best designed tent out of the three was surely used as the foundation of the British armys 9x9!

Thanks for getting back on this. Generally, I am looking for information on the various forms and shapes of tents in use by Commonwealth forces in WW2. There does not seem to be reference books or websites available on this subject, are there?

More specifically, I want to know what I am looking at when looking to buy a (preferably) Canadian tent. The Field Officer's Tent (that's what it's called, or so I have been told) would be the right size for me.

With orangey-yellow or orange shade of canvas, do you mean the typical dark brown as the tent you offer or more of a tan colour as the one in the attached picture?

Name:	generaaltje29155_1.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	246.8 KB 
ID:	65539

Hanno - the tent in your above picture is based on a US small wall tent. That's a great picture as like all things WWII nothing is ever consistant.

The tent even has the stove pipe flap (top right hand corner of the door) but it is to high for the US model also it doesn't have the option of being able to roll the side walls up. Does it have a makers stamp/label in it?

The British and Commonwealth tentage was a hang over from our empire days. What is very distinctive about British tents is they have vents in their roofs. I would have a guess that the above was indeed Canadian 'orange' but has been serverly bleached by the sun over the last 70 years. I had a lot of Canadian images that I kept whilst I was researching tentage for Pathfinder but have moved three times since then but will try and locate it and if I can I will send you a copy.

I have never come across many Canadian tents on the market.
    Jack Beckett
    Dorset

HMVF winners of the Bart Vanderveen award 2008. For outstanding contribution to the military vehicle movement.

www.WarHistoryOnline.com
    Online War History News

Then & Now WWII prints

If you think we are nuts when we speak of Canadian 'orange' here's a good example of the shade.......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ww2candufl.jpg  

Jack Beckett
    Dorset

www.WarHistoryOnline.com
    Online War History News

Then & Now WWII prints

Easy to find in the snow though. Is there something special about the weave or cloth weight or proffing that dictates the colour?
    Leading the charge!
    Jeeps posed for pictures Dodges were to busy working. I'm not mad! My voices say I'm sane! And I am not in the pay of Jersey tourisim No longer a 101. Now a Dodge WC54. If there is one thing makes me angry, its all the Incredible Hulk Films!! (Tony Banner)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information