Gallery: Leyland Martian Artillery Tractor (FV1103) in service with 42nd Regiment RA

With the kind permission of Chris Dunham and Jim McDougall I have collected a number of images of the Leyland Martian Artillery Tractor (FV1103) whilst in service with 42nd Regiment RA with 68 (Quebec) 94 (New Zealand) and 49 (Inkerman) battery's. You can visit Chris's and Jim's websites at the following links:

http://www.42regt.com/

http://community.webshots.com/user/jimmcdougall

On with the pictures, taken in the late 50's and 60's at locations including Pembroke Dock and Lippstadt. Enjoy!

LeylandPembrokeDock1963.jpg

LeylandQubec682.jpg

LeylandQubec681.jpg

Leyland-JockSimpson1.jpg

LeylandCRAVisit1966-2.jpg

LeylandCRAVisit1966-1.jpg

LeylandBARRIEMOSS1.jpg

LeylandBARRIEMOSS2.jpg

LeylandBobEdwards5.jpg

LeylandBobEdwards4.jpg

LeylandBobEdwards3.jpg

LeylandBobEdwards2.jpg

LeylandBobEdwards1.jpg

LeylandEXCERCISEEXTERNALTRIANGLEOCTOBER1966.jpg

LeylandPembrokeDock5.jpg

LeylandPembrokeDock4.jpg

LeylandPembrokeDock3.jpg

LeylandPembrokeDock1.jpg

LeylandPembrokeDock2.jpg

Edited by madrat

Well done Duncan ! Excellent photos ! Are you gonna organise a Martian landing of all surviving Martians at War and Peace soon before all the petrol runs out ! :red::-D

I think doing that would definitely cause the petrol to run out! :cool2:

very nice! Don't suppose you came across any Militant gun tractor pictures?

There were a couple however I was only saving the Leyland ones, if you have a few hours to spare go through the pictures in the "webshots" link at the top of this page, there were also images of Bedfords in Libya.

Cheers, Duncan

• 3 years later...
The Tibesti Expedition looks like a re-run of "Ice Cold in Alex"!

I was on that expedition along with another REME VM , George Rodgers Temple . The regiment was stationed in Cyprus at the time and tagged this onto the end of an exercise in Libya. The one incident that sticks in my mind is the transfer box falling of a Bedford Rl because the mounting bolts sheared , this was before the strengthening modification was carried out, we ended up using cylinder head bolts of a scrapped American car in Sabba , when we left Cyprus 18 months later the box had still not been modified and still had the same bolts in it.

I also did another smaller trip later from Tobruk to Giarabub when we really did master the use of sand channels.

It seems to have been an interesting place to visit. While Googling looking for any other pictures of this expedition I found details of another that Cambridge University did in 1957. I suppose this is all a no-go area now.

You'll find some excellent photos of the regiment on http://www.42regt.com including lots of them when they had 25pdrs in Plymouth , Cyprus and Libya.

You may well be right, but all the pictures of Martian gun tractors that I could find were while they were equipped with 5.5s. Towing a 25 pounder with a Martian would definitely be overkill; 25 pounders were towed by Quads or Bedford RLs. Incidentally the picture of the Priest in the 'Guns used by the regiment' section is a Sexton.

Chris

You may well be right, but all the pictures of Martian gun tractors that I could find were while they were equipped with 5.5s. Towing a 25 pounder with a Martian would definitely be overkill; 25 pounders were towed by Quads or Bedford RLs. Incidentally the picture of the Priest in the 'Guns used by the regiment' section is a Sexton.

Chris

We're at cross purposes here. With 25pdrs we had Bedford RL gun tractor sand and then got 5.5s on returning to the UK and had Matadors followed by Martians gun tractors.. I then moved to 5 Regt RA LAD and we had 1 ton Land Rovers towing 105mm light guns.

Edited by Craftsmanx