Range Wrecks

challenger

Found the pic, it was in a PDF booklet on a wildlife study of Fingringhoe ranges, Middlewick ranges and Friday woods in 2008

Booklet: http://www.scribd.com/doc/63186549/Fingringhoe-and-Middlewick-Ranges-Colchester

It is on the last page, unfortunately it is the only picture without a caption.

looking very rough now

attachment.php?attachmentid=60469&stc=1

Looks like its back is broken anyway, good for spares though?

Not really a range wreck..........

One of 2 CET's deployed to the Falklands. Hit a mine/IED on Yorke Point adjacent to the Stanley Airfield after the cessation of hostilities....

attachment.php?attachmentid=125799&stc=1

Came across photo completely by chance on a Bushcraft forum of all places. VRM is 23FD40.

Original source location http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33534

Yorke Point CET mine strike.jpg

Edited by Tarland

• 2 months later...
Looks like its back is broken anyway, good for spares though?

Missed this comment as I've not been keeping up with this thread . The DUKW was extricated at the same time as the Conquerors were pulled out in the early to mid eighties - think my pictures are on this thread somewhere earlier . By the time it was out onto the road the DUKW was pretty much in flat pack form it was so rotten . I remember there was also a bren carrier which was completely flat and a series one Vauxhall Victor in the same state .

All,

A few more from Lulworth ... ...

Believe I took these in 2010 ... ...

attachment.php?attachmentid=128095&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=128096&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=128097&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=128098&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=128099&stc=1

And a couple of pictures of a gearbox (?) lying on the side of the public Right of Way ... ...

attachment.php?attachmentid=128100&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=128101&stc=1

And some 'bits', again on the side of the public ROW ... ...

attachment.php?attachmentid=128102&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=128103&stc=1

DSCF1840.jpg

DSCF1859.jpg

DSCF1860.jpg

DSCF1861.jpg

DSCF2190.jpg

DSCF2199.jpg

DSCF2202.jpg

DSCF2200.jpg

DSCF2201.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=128126&stc=1

00EB31 about the 9th production Chieftain. Now an AVLB and spared death row again. Very unlikely now that this vehicle will ever be shot at. Unusual vehicle that should probably be saved. It is the early configuration of the AVLB as well as being an original gun tank hull.

IMG_0950.jpg

All these are due for removal from the range. It will start with the ones in the "dead vehicle park" and eventually include all the rest. Hard targets like these just cause to much environmental damage.

Just curious, what would replace the hard targets, or is the plan just to use soft targets? I guess that bits of armour degrading in the ground is now frowned upon.

Just curious, what would replace the hard targets, or is the plan just to use soft targets? I guess that bits of armour degrading in the ground is now frowned upon.

Yes they will be firing at canvas and wooden targets. Most big calibre weapons have stopped shooting at Hards already.

• 2 weeks later...