RAF wartime Bonnet number ?

Ian L

Hi Richard thats exactly what I was looking for, I forgot to say it was a bonnet number for my 44GPW I was after.

Is Black over Brown correct for a 1944 Jeep in RAF service or would it of been just green by then ?

Can you tell me who made your stencils as they should have the correct size & font that I need, as for the number, why are they different on either side of the bonnet and what do they mean ?

Thanks Ian

Hi Richard thats exactly what I was looking for, I forgot to say it was a bonnet number for my 44GPW I was after.

Is Black over Brown correct for a 1944 Jeep in RAF service or would it of been just green by then ?

Can you tell me who made your stencils as they should have the correct size & font that I need, as for the number, why are they different on either side of the bonnet and what do they mean ?

Thanks Ian

Ian, The Jeeps arrived in UK in US OD, That colour would have been untouched until a repaint was necessary. If it arrived before April 44 it would have had the black applied on upper surfaces.

The roundal should be 9 inch outer diameter blue, then white ( 5.4 inch dia), then red (1.8 inch dia) . The B/100 should be 5 inch of a plain style. The 1900 was its type all RAF vehicles had a type number; for 5cwt 4x4 cars it was type 1900, that was to be applied on the nearside door in 3 inch , but the jeep not having doors the most convenient place, it was to applied in the format TYPE 1900. . The reg number is always prefixed RAF, It was commonly applied on the bumper. or below the screen or on BOTH sides of the bonnet. What I have quoted is from the AMOs but of course variations occurred. All the UK RAF Jeep pictures I have found are either RAF MRT, Fire service or 2TAF - with the exception of 2 group units working up in readiness for transfer to 2 TAF, Jeeps would not be a common Bomber Command vehicle, the day to day run around was either the Hillman tilly of the small commer 10 & 15 cwt light trucks.

TED

Edited by ted angus

Ian

I am glad my posting has helped you, especially now that Ted has answered your questions. Ted had very kindly answered a similar question posted by myself a year or so ago, his valuable knowledge also helped me produce the insignia's shown on my Willys Jeep for which i am still very greatfull. The letter and number stencils that i used are originals brass ones which interlock, a friend of mine purchased them direct from the USA. As for the RAF roundel, i drew the circles onto the windscreen with a compass and then filled in the three colours by hand with a brush, allowing sufficient time for each colour to fully dry before attempting to add the next. To help your further research, i suggest you purchase or borrow a book called The Standardised War Time Jeep 2 by John Farley it has several excellent pictures of Jeeps in RAF service.

I hope this is of help to you

Richard JEEP43

Hi Guys

We produce custom Vehicle stencils and have done many RAF vehicles, I would only be to happy to help if you are looking for some stencils for your Jeep.

Please let me know if i can be of any help see link below to our gallery which has some pictures of RAF vehicles we have done.

http://www.axholmesigns.co.uk/Topic/17-Gallery.aspx

Thanks

Hi Guys

We produce custom Vehicle stencils and have done many RAF vehicles, I would only be to happy to help if you are looking for some stencils for your Jeep.

Please let me know if i can be of any help see link below to our gallery which has some pictures of RAF vehicles we have done.

http://www.axholmesigns.co.uk/Topic/17-Gallery.aspx

Thanks

Cheers Tony I'l be in touch, can you help with a period 1944 number for the Jeep ?