A Riddle............................................

As good as all your projects Rob, lovely job. It would be educational to see it alongside a regular 17pdr for comparison....and your place is the only place on the planet where that's possible!

I was thinking about getting the 17 pdr, the pheasant and a 25 pdr out for a photo session ! :wow:

Rob....................rnixartillery.

I was thinking about getting the 17 pdr, the pheasant and a 25 pdr out for a photo session ! :wow:

You've told us the Pheasant was a Weirs product Rob, and your 25 pounder could have been Weirs, but which factory had the assembly of the seventeen pounder please?

I actually sold the Weir 25 pdr but have two Baker Perkins and a Coventry Ordnance Works (COW) 25 pdr's left.

The pheasant Ordnance and my 17 pdr are both Royal Ordnance Factory Nottingham (R.O.F.N).The 17 pounder carriage is Royal Carriage Depot ( RCD)

What you need to remember is the carriages and ordnance were built by separate companies and then assembled in a plant such as Weirs.

Weirs main effort in Artillery production was the re-design of the welded cradle and production of recouperators which really falls into their main line of manufacture in pumps.

Rob.....................rnixartillery

Correction, the pheasant ordnance was made by Royal Ordnance Factory Leeds (R.O.F.L). Its interesting to note the companies who manufactured certain parts for the production of these Artillery pieces, for example W&T Avery (the scale company) produced the Gun shields for 25 pdr as well as certain sight component's.

Anyway here are more pictures of progress.

Rob...................rnixartillery

phe1.jpg

phe2.jpg

phe3.jpg

phe4.jpg

phe5.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

A stunning piece of work is spot, it's just superb! I'm reading Gunbuster's novel's from 1945; he was a serving artillery officer during the war who wrote a series of fictional works which are quite obviously based on his own experiences.

"Return via Dunkirk" is about a 25 pdr troop during the war in France and the retreat to Dunkirk

"Battle Dress!" is a series of vignettes covering much the same period

"Zero Hours" is set during the North African campaign

"Grand Barrage" is set on Malta during the siege and concerns an Ack-ack crew

and the final book is "Victory Salvo" which is also set in the desert.

I'm reading this last one now and I've just got to the section where they've had their 6 pdrs replaced with the new pheasant. It's a very interesting read, in fact they're all very interesting reads and have a great deal of authenticity to them. I recommend them, they were all first published between 1941 and 1946 but I believe they were reprinted in the 1990's by Windrow & Greene under their 'classic military library' series. That said you can still get the original's very, very cheaply. If you do go after the originals try to get copies which still have the original dustjackets, the drawings on them are very nice and evocative of their time.

I am over in Normandy at the moment and Internet access is hit and miss, I have an update to post when I get home.

Visited the old cheese factory at falais today although it has been shut down for a few years now since the opening of the new museum there are still some goodies parked up around the back.

Rob..........rnixartillery the

One of the breech parts I was struggling to replace was the dog that attaches to the breech actuation shaft as the one on the Gun was in very poor condition, as one was not to be found I sent the knackered one to an engineering friend of mine to work his magic and this is what came back !

Rob......................rnixartillery.

021.jpg

038.jpg

Rob,

Thank you for showing this rare beauty here. Excelent work you did on it!

Are you going to take it to War and Peace this year?

thank you for your answer,

Frankie

Hi Frankie,

Thank you for the comment, No it wont be going out anywhere but if you are in the neighbourhood drop me a line and you are very welcome to come and have a look.

Rob..........................rnixartillery.

You can't beat having friends with the right equipment ...:cool2:

And knowhow but its more a case of finding someone who will take on small one off jobs although he gets a constant trickle of unusual jobs from me and he will have a go at anything.

Rob.........................rnixartillery.

Hi Frankie,

Thank you for the comment, No it wont be going out anywhere but if you are in the neighbourhood drop me a line and you are very welcome to come and have a look.

Rob..........................rnixartillery.

Thank you very much for your invitation, Rob, I hope to arrive once into your place - looking forward to see it all!

Frankie

Edited by Broccoli

• 3 months later...

A fresh update to the thread In that I have been successful in a long search for the missing Breech parts and after several days of repairs and fine tuning the breech is now complete, assembled and working a treat.

The elevation dog and new spring that I have had made are fantastic and work well.

Just the firing platform to blast clean next ,paint and fit and then the old girl is about done !

Rob.....................rnixartillery.

pbs1.jpg

pbs3.jpg

pbs4.jpg

• 2 months later...

It's certainly not a 25 pdr, just look at the ammunition: fixed rounds and much too long to be anything except a high velocity (and therefore antitank) round.

• 7 months later...
Correction, the pheasant ordnance was made by Royal Ordnance Factory Leeds (R.O.F.L). Its interesting to note the companies who manufactured certain parts for the production of these Artillery pieces, for example W&T Avery (the scale company) produced the Gun shields for 25 pdr as well as certain sight component's.

Anyway here are more pictures of progress.

Rob...................rnixartillery

Cracking restoration.

Cracking restoration.

Thank you ! I am slowly working through the thread re-uploading the pictures that disappeared but struggling to remember which pictures match the comments. The Gun was finished back end of last year ,covered up and pushed into the corner of the workshop and I have been unable to get it out in the daylight to photograph due to 'other ' projects being in the way , hopefully the 2 pdr will be finished shortly and then I will take the opportunity to take some photo's of the pheasant.

DSCF3468.jpg

DSCF3472.jpg

Thank you ! I am slowly working through the thread re-uploading the pictures that disappeared but struggling to remember which pictures match the comments. The Gun was finished back end of last year ,covered up and pushed into the corner of the workshop and I have been unable to get it out in the daylight to photograph due to 'other ' projects being in the way , hopefully the 2 pdr will be finished shortly and then I will take the opportunity to take some photo's of the pheasant.

It's still a cracking restoration. And the history that goes with it is quite amazing.

Now where'd I find me one... :-)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...