Vulcan VSW 30cwt 6x4.

handy1882

Hi Everyone,

I’ve had my new project for a few months now and thought I would start a restoration blog if anyone is interested?

It’s a Vulcan VSW 30cwt 6x4 built in 1927 for trials with the army. Many other manufacturers submitted vehicles for trials based around a WD spec rear bogie, the contract was eventually won by Morris Commercial with their D type.

The vehicle was owned by some family friends for the last 30 years and I am only too pleased to take it on and hopefully restore it back to its former glory.

This one, chassis No 13 is one of the only two surviving VSWs along with chassis number 16 as far as I know. I would like to be corrected though!

It was used by the RASC, Possibly 8 Coy and was sold into civilian hands in the early 30’s and was used by an agricultural contractor to haul threshing equipment until it was abandoned along with another Vulcan VSW a 3 Tonner No 51 on Salisbury plain, these were both rescued in the mid 60’s.

They were then sold on to a buyer who had the remains of VSW No 16, all 3 then changed hands a few times. At some point No 16 was restored using No’s 13 and 51 for spares. No 51 was eventually broken up as the chassis had rotted through.

No 16 was then sold along with the back axles from No 13 for spares, I would love to know there whereabouts of these axles if anyone has seen them, as they are not with No 16 any more.

That was a bit long winded but basically what I have got is most of No 13 along with the 3 ton back axles from No 51.

Its all a bit of a mess but its surprising how much is there when you start going through it all.

Two pictures of when it was first rescued in the mid 1960's

of_1928_VSW_131.jpg

Vulcan_196604721.jpg

As purchased.

DSCF0963.jpg?t=1327336363

This is the original engine in pieces showing block, crank case, head, manifolds etc, mostly complete but a bit of a mess. the pistons and con rods etc are all together in a box.

DSCF1000.jpg?t=1327336133

This is a later Vulcan engine which will hopefully have some usefull parts.

DSCF0969.jpg?t=1327336368

Thanks for the comments guys, always nice to have a challenge, it wouldn't be any fun if it was too easy :-D

I thought i'd make a start with the front axle, it had been painted before but needed a bit of tlc.

The wheel bearings seem to be in very good condition and most parts just needed a clean, sandblast and paint.

The thrust bearings that the axle sits on inside the stub axle castings were completely shot and had fallen to bits so will need replacing on reassembly.

The track rod is made out of 7/8" bore pipe, 1 1/8'' o/d and has nearly rusted through on a section about 8" long i'm keeping an eye out for a new piece so i can repair it. Seems quite a rare size these days, so i may just use a piece of solid bar instead.

One of the track rod ends has had one of the grease nipples torn out of it, so i bored out the hole and spot faced it, then made a top hat section with the correct thread and silver soldered it in, which didn't turn out too bad.

DSCF1298.jpg

DSCF1295.jpg?t=1328140279

DSCF1336.jpg

DSCF1321.jpg?t=1328143817

SAM_0145.jpg

The front springs were next, they didn't look too healthy but i thought i'd give them a clean up and see what happened.

Both springs have leaves which are tapered and spade ended which had rotted right through on the ends, i sandblasted all the leaves and welded any broken ones back together so that i can use them to assemble the axle on to the chassis and use them for patterns when i get some new ones made.

The rear shackles and pins were in fairly good order and can be reused as can the front dumb irons although the front spring pins are a bit beaten up, one of them has been replaced with a bolt at some point.

It looks like the nearside towing shackle that fits on the dumb iron has been broken during its working life and a replacement has been made from some angle iron.

Nearside spring.

DSCF1051.jpg

One of the leaves with rust holes.

DSCF1042.jpg

Rear shackle.

DSCF1054.jpg

Nearside dumb iron with not very nice replacment towing shackle.

DSCF1056.jpg?t=1328150641

Offside dumb iron, top leaf, spring pin and correct type towing shackle.

DSCF0996.jpg?t=1327334421

Looks ok from a distance but i wouldn't like to go down the road on it!

DSCF1332.jpg

Thanks fayjo56!

Redherring, yes there seems to be quite a collection of different greasers on there. I think the original ones would have been the Tecalemit brass hexagon ones. There seem to be more of those still attached than any other type.

They are available over here but can be a little pricey, they do look nice on older vehicles though.

Anyone got a good supplier for these?

Hi Tom,

Thanks for that, i'll have a look at some of the other greasers when i drag them out of storage. The brake linkages all have those style fittings but i can't remember if they had a lower hexagon or not.

A picture of all the painted parts of the front axle ready for some nice green paint when i get some. Just need to make a few bits and pieces, one of the hub caps is missing, a towing shackle, front spring pins and fix the track rod.

SAM_0074.jpg

Tom,

I think that is a slightly later semi forward control Vulcan VSW built in the 30's. Very nice truck!

Quite unusual as the front wings have hinges at the back and can be swung out of the way for easy engine access.

Vulcan_VSW_51.jpg

This is one of the first Vulcan VSW's possibly the prototype built for the trials.

Vulcan_VSW_1927_b1.jpg

Paul,

I think the Vulcan would originally have had a set of 10 24 inch wheels for 33x4.5 tyres as in the photo of the prototype above, it would be great to get a full set as these trucks look great with twin wheels on the back axles, unfortunately i've only got 3 off this type that are useable.

I do have around 6 or 7 of the later type 20 inch wheels for 32x6 tyres the same as the later VSWs pictured above.

If it comes to it what i may do is use two 24 inch wheels for the front axle and put single 20 inch wheels on the back axles untill i can locate a full set.

My Mack AC has 24 inch wheels but runs 40x8 which are a lot fatter than those. I have found 24 inch tyres of any description to be rare in UK, those 33s will be tricky too will they not? Like you I do not have a full set of wheels and am considering my options; I cannot go to 20 inch rims because of the brake drum clearance at the rear and the steering linkages at teh front. I am scouting around in the states for some as well as investigating actually making some (how hard can it be?). I have some wider rims (from a Leyland Landtrain) and am considering cutting and shutting them to make them a lot narrower.

The otehr vehicles with 24 inch rims would be Scammels and steam wagons (I am doing some front mudguards for an 8 wheeler Sentinel and the wheels on it are near as dammit the same as the mack, albeit that the mack has Budd type holes (stud piloted)) They have 2 handholds too.

Anyway if I come across anything Ill let you know. What pcd and size are the stud holes by the way?

And I am waiting till I win the lottery before I can run to a nice new set of 40x8s....

Paul,

I was considering making some too, not quite sure how to go about it yet, but have a few ideas if it comes to it. I was thinking about finding some wider ones and cutting them down as you suggested.

Longstone tyres seem pretty good for vintage sizes they do have some very nice looking 33x4.5's. Quite a lot for 10 tyres plus tubes,vat etc, i will have to start saving up for them!

The 32x6's seem a bit rarer, but apparently Ford AA's use that size and some people have fitted 650x20's as a replacement size, not sure if thats correct but they are a bit easier to find.

They do some nice 40x8's but i see what you mean about a lottery win! :wow:

http://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/

It would be great if you could keep your eye out for me, i'll do the same with your wheels.

I just measured the front hubs which are are 8 x 5/8 studs on a 10 3/4 PCD approx.

I'll put some pictures of the good wheels i have when i dig them out of the shed.

How is the Mack coming along? It looks great in the pictures on your site, lovely truck!

Edited by handy1882

I know that re-banding steel rims is all the rage in the custom car world at the moment, maybe they could help make up a set of the correct size wheels for you.

Here is one company: http://www.bandedsteels.com/Banded Steels.html

Thank you for that, they may come in very usefull if i decide to make some wheels, or if i find some that i can adapt.

I have two approaches for my wheels. Some of the originals are rotted in one area where the truck was stood for years in mud. For these wheels I am considering attempting to slice the damaged quadrant out and weld in a quadrant from another damaged wheel. If I get this right one damaged wheel will provide two quadrants, giving me two good wheels out of three bad ones. Obviously I will need to make up some sort of jig to keep everything in true, but that is straightforward (in fact it may well be that the best thing to do is to use the hub of the truck for tacking up at least).

The other wheels I have are just too wide, so I am considering setting them up in a jig again then slicing material out of the band then shutting the outer and inners back together.

Or I may be lucky and find a set in the US!

There is a firm that can make wheels by the way: http://www.aspectwheels.co.uk

On the tyre front I intend sourcing and importing mine from the US, as even with carriage and duty they will be a lot cheaper than UK supplied ones. Its just a case of watching the exchange rate!