Is there a way of dating my sten gun?

Masseyboy89

They were producing 1500 guns per day at that time so if I'm correct, your gun would be from the first week in April (Give or take) 1943.

Total LB production was 876,794 although official records state 876,886, a 92 gun diffrence. So the last serial number produced should be G76,786 or G76,878 which would make it Mid Sept 1943.

Holy Moly !!!!!!!!! 1500 a day !!!!! and nearly a million made ?!?!?! where have they all gone??? :cool2:

Just to clarify ...is that total production amount of just the MK3 or all the Stens ever made? ...Thanks ! :)

Are we talking about 'Official' Stens or Black market? :-D Not suprised at Isralie marked magazines. Umpteen where made along with ammunition, under a British Military Laundary. The place is now a museum. The most complex thing about a Sten is rifiling the barrel.

Holy Moly !!!!!!!!! 1500 a day !!!!! and nearly a million made ?!?!?! where have they all gone??? :cool2:

Just to clarify ...is that total production amount of just the MK3 or all the Stens ever made? ...Thanks ! :)

That's just the Mk3 by Lines Brothers. Lots were just scrapped, dumped or sold to developing nations who have since, scrapped, dumped or re-sold them again. There are lots of Deac Ex Finn (Which were Ex British) guns about and some of these came out of Africa recently I believe.

Any ideas roughly what date this was done please? I understand that this would make for smoother feed in the mag preventing jams.

I have a few without the conversion too.

Still looking for the manufacture codes if anyone can help.

I have about 90 mags, lots of different codes, about 20 in all. The internet has identified about half dozen, just want to see if any interesting one's in there!

Two are Israeli (star of David stamp) I have few different constructed (folded and pressed box) by same factories, Austin etc

Any help greatly appreciated.

If anyone is looking for a particular make or style mag, drop me a line and see what I have.

Thanks

Paul

It's a post war thing and I reckon they would have been modified as required over many years. I believe the problem was that it was a double stack mag feeding into a single stack and this caused friction and binding. The modified mag keeps the rounds in a single stack, hence the 20 rounds.

It's a post war thing and I reckon they would have been modified as required over many years. I believe the problem was that it was a double stack mag feeding into a single stack and this caused friction and binding. The modified mag keeps the rounds in a single stack, hence the 20 rounds.

That explains why I can't stuff more than 20 in them then....!! Don't suppose anyone knows of a 50 round mag for sale do they? Also cheap-ish mag pouch with pockets. Just for static display.

Cheers

Paul

Try Ebay for repro sten pouches bandoleers and carry bags , I got a sten carry bag (about 40 USD ) they are made in India and the quality is quite acceptable , the purchase price included free DHL shipping from India to NZ , took about 2 weeks.

Thanks mate

I'm actually after the ammo pouch that replaces the standard 37 webbing pouch. It's the same but with three compartments inside for the mags. Got my bandolier from ZIB in Hamburg, excellent copy at €40.00.

I'm looking for the extended capacity mag,holds 50 rounds.

You looking for spare mags for your bandolier? Lol.

Cheers

Paul

The 50 round mags aren't extended mags, they are standard mags for the Lanchester SMG. There are some for sale (If I remember the site) but they aren't cheap, I think they are about £50 each!

Right, thanks Chris

I thought they were specially made for the sten! Always referred to as the 50 round sten mag!

If you hear of any, just looking for one to go along side my display as a comparison.

Cheers

Paul

Right, thanks Chris

I thought they were specially made for the sten! Always referred to as the 50 round sten mag!

If you hear of any, just looking for one to go along side my display as a comparison.

Cheers

Paul

I had a pair of those pouches some years ago and I agree they were for the Lanchester and used by the Royal Navy. I thought they were sten when I got them but found out they were Lanchester after some research. The pouches were made left and right and used as a pair.

Robert

The Lanchester SMG pouches come in two flavours: unmodified for 50rnd Lanchester magazines and shortened for use with 32rnd Sten magazines.

SOF make repros of the shortened pouches:

http://www.sofmilitary.co.uk/sten-ammo-pouches-x2-product,14158

Contrary to their dodgy sales pitch, (the slightly lengthened MkIII P37 basic pouch was introduced to take Sten magazines) there doesn't seem to be much info on when the conversions were made and for whom so they may be postwar.

Edited by Enfield1940

I know where they are now, £55 each, PM me if you want the web address.

EACH!! There were a pair at Malvern for £40.00, can't justify £55 each mate, only for static display.

Thanks for the tip tho, appreciated, just wondering if anyone had a spare. Got friends coming from NZ next months, think they were used there too, have to get my kiwi feelers out!! Lol