US m-1937 field kitchen

martylee

A couple of years ago I bought m-37 field kitchen which burns on gasoline. I have none experience with this so I haven't dared starting it up yet. The thought of putting gasolie on fire sounds a bit scary to me. That's why I'm currently looking for a trailer which is heated by wood. But that's not the point here. Does anyone have a manual for these field kitchens? Or know where to find them?

Marty

M 37

Before i became an Officer I had some training with the m37.

It was used by the Norwegian Army, Along with most WWll US equipment, inntil end of the '80.

As suggested, get a TM and start reading. Consider it's burning gasoline caution must be made.

The M37 was probably the best field kitchen of its time.

And with some reading and trying I'm sure you'll get the hang of it.

A complete M37 with 3 cabinett and e seperate burner for hotwater, and a 5 men crew normaly served a US Coy of 165 -210 men

One Cabinett, and one seperate burner for hot water is adequate for serving up to ca 50 men.

S Holtan

• 4 years later...
A couple of years ago I bought m-37 field kitchen which burns on gasoline. I have none experience with this so I haven't dared starting it up yet. The thought of putting gasolie on fire sounds a bit scary to me. That's why I'm currently looking for a trailer which is heated by wood. But that's not the point here. Does anyone have a manual for these field kitchens? Or know where to find them?

Marty

My father was a mess seargent for the 432nd Fighter Squadron, 475th Fighter Group 5th USAAF. He used these stoves from May 1943 to December 1945. His squadron had 300 men plus he fed the HQ staff, officers and even Charles Lindeberg. His group built a museum at the Planes of Fame Museum in Chino, California. My brother and I donated a full period field kitchen in his memory (3 ranges 2 short stoves for water lister bag, utensils, lanterns, and spares parts, etc, etc.). On the day of the grand opening we pulled the kitchen out of the display and fed the reunion group lunch. The menu was beef tips with carrots, onions, mushrooms, new potatoes, fresh cooked asparagus, and biscuits for bread. All done on these 3 ranges. The biscuits were baked the night before in the square heads with the baking tray. We found that these stoves will burn for 6 hours on 2 gallons of white gas each. Be forewarned a square head will melt if the heat is too high. After the burner gets hot it will maintain pressure with only slight adjustments.