British / Canadian 6 pdr gun vs US M1 57mm AT-Gun

The most obviouse differences between the 6 pdr and the 57mm lay in the carriages,although the 57mm's trail is similar to the 6 pdr it has several Yank additions such as the perch eye being changed for the standard American lunette,jocky wheel and the swinging axle stands which all adds to the weight of the gun I might add.

The 6 pdr also went through several changes throughout the war years with several variations in barrels and the addition of secondary armour,I am currently coming to the end of a two year restoration ( on and off !) of my 6 pdr which will join the 57mm gun in my collection.And credit to Adrian B for his expert assistance in the final phase.:clap:

I have a very large library of pictures so I will sort through and post some but for now here are some of the 57mm gun.

Rob...................rnixartillery

DSCF3532.jpg

DSCF3538.jpg

DSCF3555.jpg

Edited by rnixartillery

I am currently coming to the end of a two year restoration ( on and off !) of my 6 pdr which will join the 57mm gun in my collection.And credit to Adrian B for his expert assistance in the final faze.:clap:

I have a very large library of pictures so I will sort through and post some but for now here are some of the 57mm gun.

Hi Rob

I'm watching your build with great interest. Kudos to you mate a great job.

I look forward to seeing more pictures; do you have any period/in action ones?

Cheers

Smudge

PS; I used to spend a lot of time at Catterick shame I still don't :cool2:

Did the 6 pounder have a semi auto brech selection like the 2 pounder?

Quite correct Tony,The 6pdr does have a semi auto selector like the 2 pdr.

That last shot with the APDS going in, is that a block lifting eye? I didn't realise that was a period fitting, presumably late war?

I have seen a 2 pdr with this eye attached ! :readbook:

Rob...........rnixartillery

6pdrhe.jpg

l3.jpg

l5.jpg

As well as different wheels etc that you can see, I thought that there was a more subtle difference between the 6pdr and the 57 mm? I am reaching 40+ years back but I think that British engineering practice is "hole" based but American is "shaft" based. It is difficult to explain in a few words but if you take as an example, the breech operating shaft and its bearings. Lets say it is nominally 2 inches in diameter and has 2 thou manufacturing tolerances and 5 thou minimum operating clearance.

British practice would be a hole that is 2" to 2.002 inches, the shaft would be 1.993 to 1.995 inches so running clearance would be from 5 to 9 thou.

American practice would be to have a shaft of 2 to 2.002 inches and a hole from 2.007 to 2.009, again giving 5 to 9 thou. Unfortunately, the American shaft will not fit into the British hole at all and the British shaft would have up to 16 thou of slop in the fitting if put into a US hole

The British thought a "hole" standard was best as holes are made by accurately manufactured drills, then you make the shaft to fit, the US practice seems to think it is easier to turn the shaft to size, then ream the hole out to fit. You takes your money and makes your choice - doesn't matter so long as the whole item is made to the same standards!

You missed out the fact that 57mm Anti-tank guns were built using UNC and UNF thread fixings rather than BSW and BSF fixings on the 6 pdr !

There is a great deal of differences between the two Guns if you delve into the subject.:nut:

Rob.....................rnixartillery.

Correct!! I had forgotten that: a pain with other things as well as artillery, particularly when you get both thread systems in the same vehicle, like Universal Carriers and GMC powered Valentines.

• 4 years later...

Bring back to life a old post......

In the photo there is a item mounted on the left hand armor plate. All the US 57mm I have seen and the one I own has a set of holes on it. I assume since I have never seen a photo, or can find anyone who has ever seen anything mounted on a 57mm there, it is left over from copying the British 6lb.

This is the 1st photo that shows "something" mounted there......

Anybody know what it is?

l5.jpg

DSC04228.jpg

• 1 year later...