bedford QL restoration

guy66

Here are some measurements.

1- Angle iron horizontal on wooden cross members (L-pofile) 50x50 and 8 mm thick

2-vertical L profile is 45x45 and 5 mm thick . vertical profile is 885 mm long on the sides and the same re-enforcement iron is used under the floor.

3-Wooden cross members 115x 50 x2220 mm long and 4 pieces, front cross member ( just after the spare wheel carrier )

115x50x 2130 mm

All these measurements are in metric size and original it must be Imperial size but these day's the Imperial sizes are not available any more and surely not over here !

Hope that these measurements are off some help, you can always contact me for more information ..

Guy

That's brilliant thank you very much for the quick reply, just one more question if you don't mind is the height of the sides 750mm and what thickness steel did you use? Thanks in advance Neil

sorry just read your post again and noticed you had included the height thanks

Edited by Neil hannant

• 11 months later...
  • 6 months later...
Hello Guy,

This was the reason for my question about the tailgate locking mechanism and the cab door interior.

I am using your restoration blog to help with building this kit.

cheers

Kevin

Dear Sirs. I am about to build the sister kit to the one you were sent, I am making the Wireless / Radio truck, as you have found out there about 19 parts to the engine, which will I think (unless you know better than me) is a shame as an item in such detail is hidden under the grill and engine cover inside the cab, I am wondering how to display the engine in detail, any ideas I was thinking of having the grill off but this would just show the radiator, do any of you guys have any suggestions please, I need the info very soon as I am displaying this model at Gaydon model Truck show in June 2017 & have only 2 months to build the model. Looking forward to hearing from someone.Thanks in advance

Hello.

Even in real scale it is not so easy to get asses to the engine, the cover in the cabin is the only bit that can be removed to reach the engine .

So changing spark plugs are working on the engine is always a challenge, luckily the engine is well rebuild and don't hives match problems .

Guy

Dear Sirs. I am about to build the sister kit to the one you were sent, I am making the Wireless / Radio truck, as you have found out there about 19 parts to the engine, which will I think (unless you know better than me) is a shame as an item in such detail is hidden under the grill and engine cover inside the cab, I am wondering how to display the engine in detail, any ideas I was thinking of having the grill off but this would just show the radiator, do any of you guys have any suggestions please, I need the info very soon as I am displaying this model at Gaydon model Truck show in June 2017 & have only 2 months to build the model. Looking forward to hearing from someone.Thanks in advance

The early QL engine cover was one piece and required the removal of the passenger seat first before the cover could be removed, so you could have the passenger door open with seat on ground along with engine cover. Just an idea.

regards, Richard

• 1 month later...

What a great job you did on the QLD, I just purchased a QLD myself which was asleep for more then 20 years! A very nice truck, but all the rubbers are dried out except for the brakes which were solved in the brake fluid.

Now I am looking for the rubbers around the windows, did you buy them new or were they still useable??

Groeten

Hendrik van Oorspronk

IMG_2809.JPG

What a great job you did on the QLD, I just purchased a QLD myself which was asleep for more then 20 years! A very nice truck, but all the rubbers are dried out except for the brakes which were solved in the brake fluid.

Now I am looking for the rubbers around the windows, did you buy them new or were they still useable??

Groeten

Hendrik van Oorspronk

Hello Hendrik.

The second hand front windscreens came with fairly new rubbers. These screens came from John Morter , maybe you can check if he still have the rubbers in stock.

Guy.

• 3 years later...

HI Guy

I am currently restoring a Bedford QLT. The cab is in a shocking state and needs very much the same level of work you have done. Can please let me know what thickness steel you used and do you have templates for the parts you replaced ? or just what was already there ?

If you have any pictures that you wouldn't mind sending me as they are and could be a great help as I'm not a welder and have got to learn using a Mig welder.

Cheers

Darren Hammock

darrenhammock@hotmail.com

Me and Doris..jpg

• Like 3

• 10 months later...

How did you get on with the restoration ? l drive past this one quite often near where l live in Crete Greece !! It was four years or five years before l stopped to look and take photos ,after seeing it parked up in an abandoned factory .Must be a good  restoration or a source of spares ? 

SAM_0607.JPG

SAM_0611.JPG

Edited by Outermongolia