WW2 British Ammunition Boxes - Basic ID

ajmac

Guys,

Is there a ref for the war office codes stamped / pressed into the lids of the thinner gauge ammo boxes?

i.e. what would this mean: P60-MG-II-1943

or this: P60-MPB-I-1942

or this: R.T. MP C238A Mk1 1945

At a guess I would suggest that the first part is the box identifier, the second is the description and the third is the manufacture date. What do the descriptions relate to?

Edited by ajmac

P60 boxes carry four 25 pdr AP rounds,The C238 carried four 6pdr AP rounds amongst other rounds.

I would assume you have been on e-bay ! ;)

Rob..................rnixartillery.

Indeed, great place to get to know visually what you are looking for. I won't be clicking the buy botton mind....I picked up some parts for the Loyd at the weekend and blew the Christmas money:D I joke, it was designated 'Carrier Money'!

Indeed, great place to get to know visually what you are looking for. I won't be clicking the buy botton mind....I picked up some parts for the Loyd at the weekend and blew the Christmas money:D I joke, it was designated 'Carrier Money'!

Never turn parts away Alastair, they aren't always there to be had ! :nono:

Rob.....................rnixartillery.

LOL Rob but so true, so true I just went back on ebay and bought something I had decided against thanks to your comment..!

Only wish I had done the same with a CVRT A frame a few years ago when there were dozens of the flippin things around...

I wish that was an option.... moving value from one hobby to another always gets 'skimmed' by family requirements and at the moment that hobby fund can't be added to from my income, too many bills and other commitments for that money. It only takes a couple of jobs offshore and the coffers are full again but that isn't till March...

• 8 months later...
Guys,

Is there a ref for the war office codes stamped / pressed into the lids of the thinner gauge ammo boxes?

i.e. what would this mean: P60-MG-II-1943

or this: P60-MPB-I-1942

or this: R.T. MP C238A Mk1 1945

Greetings, I'm a new member,

I noticed this posting about P60 boxes. We have a WWII Quad artillery gun tractor with limber and 25 pounder gun at our Canadian Military Heritage Museum in Canada. I am looking to buy a P59 and P60 ammunition box to put in the Quad. If anyone has a box or a lead on where to find a box I would appreciate any help.

regards,

roger