Engine fitted to morris mra1

ruggyjohn

Question

12 answers to this question

what engine is fitted to the mra1, and is it common to other vehicles such as the k9, and last but not least, what would be a good replacement, either diesel or petrol. many thanks john.

John,

The MRA1 engine was a Morris design, the K9 had the 4 litre Austin engine dating from the 3.5 litre introduced in 1939. Do not know of a diesel that would readily fit and match with the gearbox in your Morris.

First Ex army vehicle i ever had ran it for 10 years. If fitted a 6cylinder desiel out of a Leyland terrier. I dont remember to well as it was a long time ago but i know at the time no fancy machining will have been involved. I removed the bell housing of the Terrier engine and made up a simple plate out 1/4 steel. a friend made me bronze bush to suit flywheel and Morris spigot shaft. it ran like this for 4 years.

John,

I can't see why you shouldn't fit an alternative engine if you can't get the Morris one.

I fitted a 5.7 BMC diesel (same as the 6/98 out of the Leyland Terrible mentioned above) to one some years ago for a customer. It fitted in the hole without any body mods, I think. I had to shorten the well of the sump to avoid the diff, and ended up using the Morris gearbox; if I remember right, this was because the shift levers and possibly the rear engine mounts are all hung on the gearbox. I machined an adaptor plate up to fit the Morris box to the back of the BMC block. Can't remember which flywheel & clutch I used but I suspect it was the BMC flywheel and cover and Morris driven plate, or I may have had the BMC flywheel drilled to take the Morris cover. Apart from that it was fairly straightforward fabricating mounts and plumbing.

Hope this helps

If the 6/98 will fit, quite a few small diesels probably will - another possibility, though you'd have to measure up first, might be the small Cummins in the later Roadrunners; or even a four cylinder Perkins Phaser.

You're probably better off going for a truck engine (& box) if you go for a petrol; there are K9 engines about now and again, or the later engine from the threepenny bit, but if you're going non-original might as well have a diesel, preferably a late diesel, and have the economy.

I kept the Morris box because it was easier (it's now niggling me why - is the transfer box integral with the gearbox, I can't remember), but that doesn't mean it'd be impossible to fit another box if yours is missing.

Edited by Sean N

If the 6/98 will fit, quite a few small diesels probably will - another possibility, though you'd have to measure up first, might be the small Cummins in the later Roadrunners; or even a four cylinder Perkins Phaser.

You're probably better off going for a truck engine (& box) if you go for a petrol; there are K9 engines about now and again, or the later engine from the threepenny bit, but if you're going non-original might as well have a diesel, preferably a late diesel, and have the economy.

I kept the Morris box because it was easier (it's now niggling me why - is the transfer box integral with the gearbox, I can't remember), but that doesn't mean it'd be impossible to fit another box if yours is missing.

From memory the transfer box is a seperate item it would be easy to fit smal disel and box assembly from a modern truck.

When i fitted mine i kept the original box (a) because the engine i fittted was from an accident damaged truck and the gearbox was cracked. (b) prior to fitting i had converted the original tyre inflator gearbox driven to a very complicated pto chain drive to the recovery equipment and didnt want to start all over again

Yes, I've remembered now, the transfer box is separate as you say; we kept the original box partly because of all the gubbins hung off it and partly because the owner bought an engine without a gearbox.

Under normal circumstances with most conversions I'd keep the box that goes with the engine and change the prop etc. unless there are good reasons not to.

A friend has run a LR 110 fitted with a 6.354 for many years without problems so I see no reason why it shouldn't work OK in the Morris. I assume that the Perkins will produce rather more torque than the original Morris engine and you will have to allow for that with your driving style. My mate only uses 2 gears, top and reverse.:D

I too have a MRA1 with a terrier engine fitted. I believe the 6/98 engine weighs more than the original engine. Does this mean you should upgrade the shock absorbers/leaf springs? If so, what upgrades should be made? If not, does any one know what shocks can be used as a replacement, as the part numbers from the "service and parts catalogue" do not correspond with any answers when doing an Internet search.I have also been told a 3.8 bmc diesel fits straight in and bolts straight onto the flywheel housing.

Edited by 303monkey